Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 220 total)
  • Strava KOMs
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

If you have a bi directional route. Is Strava clever enough to work out what’s going on?

I’m second on one section and the KOM is half my time! No feasible way except either loonie fit or rode it the other way round

On a moped

With a tail wind

And no horse riders to worry about

Or chickens (don’t ask)

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

AndyRT – click on the date on his and it should show you his route and performance figures

njee20
    Free Member

And it does know which direction you’re going, otherwise there’d be no climbing KOMs!

AndrewJ
    Free Member

My claim to fame is I took one off Matt Page a few months back 🙂

http://app.strava.com/segments/1891901

In fairness when he did it he was 40 or 50 miles into the Brecon Beast and when I took it off him I ridden about 3 miles from my house 😉

DT78
    Free Member

Lost a fair few KOM’s to ‘cheats or mistakes’ most get returned in a few weeks when someone reports them.

One chap round my way seems to do no training whatsoever but occassionally head out to smash all the KOM’s in southampton, but appears not to ride outside the city itself, which seems very odd but apparently he is legit and not on a moped….(he is normally significantly faster than anyone else which is usually a sign of a cheater!)

Some KOM’s I see are just not humanly possible!

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed! I got notified yesterday that I’d lost two of mine to one bloke on a ride. Seemed to be a point to point ride of about 10 (road) miles, didn’t look to be the usual “left GPS on with bike in the car”, and yet he managed two reasonable climbs at 28mph, and hit 45mph on a shallow descent, it was like the whole ride speed was double the likely speed, bit weird.

They’re still on my list though, so he or someone else must’ve flagged it.

bob_summers

I’ve got a KOM on the Tourmalet*

Just totted my KOMs up, there are 76 from what I can gather. Though where I live is a bit of a Strava desert, it’s starting to gain popularity with some local pros. The Vuelta al País Vasco passed through last week and gobbled up a few of my KOMs.

*Going down it 😳

ianpv
    Free Member

I’ve got quite a few (nearly a couple of pages), but 6 of them are the same hill that people have split up in different ways. Not a huge fan of the KOM idea to be honest…

bigjim

The GPS errors are so big I wouldn’t get hung up on whether you have a KOM or not, if you are near the top and haven’t cheated, you are probably doing quite well.

pjm84
    Free Member

Short does exist. Some people do just target them.

Got one the other day, well a joint one, so did a comparison with my fellow KOM and strange to note that I was 14seconds behind after only 19seconds (I assume the gate was open).

Still trying to beat my Mate’s KOM in Lordswood. 2 seconds in it but it seems the carbon tallboy is pretty good on this run compared to my alloy Scalpel. I think you’re joint second with me (DT78).

http://app.strava.com/segments/1409013

Painey
    Free Member

Some KOM’s I see are just not humanly possible!

That sounds like the segment on Pitch Hill that always makes me scratch my head. I’m in no way likely to be the fastest down it but I don’t hang about either. Just makes me wonder how the top people are all doing it in around 30 seconds and it takes me almost a minute. I don’t even think you could do it in 30 seconds on a motorbike!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

bigjim – Member

The GPS errors are so big
    Seems to be in anad around towns, country ones are more accurate maybe some “Interference” from ????

This is one I intend to get back.

My Current Place
    33rd / 533
    My Best Time
    1:53
    Rank Name Date Speed HR Power VAM Time
    Andrew Johnston Apr 6, 2013 41.4km/h – 224W – 1:35

I reckon I can find 28 seconds.

DT78
    Free Member

I think you’re joint second with me (DT78)

ah 90 degrees, I had that KOM for ages, then I lost it. Went back spent an entire afternoon sessioning it in May, getting the line perfect, even swept fircones off the flat corners so i could take them faster. Rode it over and over

result – matched my fastest time…..when I had just ‘gone for a ride’

old 2010 anthem x1 if you are interested. If/when I get my scott scale 29er I am expecting times to tumble 🙂

Most pleased with this one, short and sweet, been trying for it for months….as it is a shared path you have to have luck to get a clean run too
    http://app.strava.com/segments/2299138

dantsw13

Has nobody ever heard of digital EPO?

I have a couple of KOM’s on local sections only ridden by my group. Nowhere near on anything major.

chrispo
    Free Member

I’ve got four pages of the things, a few home-made but mostly proper climbs or trail centre loops, partly cos I’m impossibly quick and partly cos I live in the middle of nowhere.

I don’t get these really short urban segments. They strike me as a bit pointless and rather dangerous and likely to piss people off. Perhaps it’s cos I’m just a yokel.

dashed
    Free Member

I’ve got a few, Swinley downhills mainly. I had the Babymaker one for a while but gave up trying to get it back as I’ll kill myself – suspect the difference is down to gps errors anyway as I can have the best run I’ve ever had, super smooth, very quick and then strava says I’m 10 seconds adrift (on a 30 second run).

I have a couple of top 10’s around Peaslake on very popular segments, one of which is on one of the Telegraph row segments and there are >1,200 riders 😆

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Got a few locals, but the ones i’m happy with is 2nd of 1000 on the climb of the Col De Le Croix De Fer and 5th down the Gavia in Italy, also 30th or something on the Passo del Stelvio despite stopping to fix a puncture half way up.

andytherocketeer

Has nobody ever heard of digital EPO?

Ah I like that terminology 🙂 gpsbabel ftw
    Might sign up for strava again 😉

nickkent
    Free Member

I peddled my a***e off a couple of days ago to beat my mates time on the Haldon red and now I have disappeared from the leader board. Not happy!

plop_pants
    Free Member

I lost a KOM to a friend but unless he tells me what the temperature, wind direction, wind speed, relative humidity, dew point, bike weight, body weight and gear ratio used were I’m going to report it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve just had a message telling me another one of my KOM’s has gone, but looking at this is it
    even possible for someone not on drugs? 😯 (or in a car).

http://app.strava.com/activities/48162010#

Edit just noticed Max speed 70.7mph, Average speed 32.7mph. Really????
    Very similar to when I drive that commute. 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s always a kick in the teeth when you get that email.

🙁

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Edit: I need to work more!

mrmo
    Free Member

19 apparently, although 4 are the same climb! same start same finish and slightly different names!!!

although, road wise mainly mid table although i have a few KoMs and a good few seconds!!, off road top of table. Says alot really, most MTBers are fat and unfit….

crazy-legs

I was checking out the Maindy Cycle Track in Cardiff and noticed someone had set Strava times. Average speed was something around 60-70kph so I wasn’t sure if this was some seriously quick roadies or someone cheating on a motorbike!

To be fair, tiny circuits like Maindy and Herne Hill are so prone to errors that they’re almost pointless.

I Strava’d a crit race at Tameside a year or so ago and it seems that the same circuit is named as two different segments but the trace showed several corners “cut” and dependiong on where the reading was taken it would record either “Tameside Crit” or “Tameside Circuit Full Lap”. Simply not accurate on such a small circuit.
    And someone needs shooting for setting it up twice.

ajantom

About 30, mostly around Haldon and Woodbury.
    All of them either on a hardtail or rigid 29er, so I’m generally pleased when I get a KOM.
    However, some of the guys I ride with (Dave, Chris and Del especially) aren’t slouches, but don’t use a GPS. So I guess they’d probably have most of my KOMs if they did 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

I’ve got one on a road descent, but thinking back I probably took a few too many risks.

tpbiker
    Free Member

No KOM, but top 10 on a few of the climbs round here, and top 20% on a couple of the ‘bigger’ climbs in the Edinburgh and fife area. I Once took my heckler down one of the bigger downhills at the pentlands and got second as well, felt like I had cheated however as I had pushed it up the hill 🙂

Thing that I find depressing is how off the pace of the top folks I am. Theres a guy round here who has ruined the concept of KOM for everyone else, by being so much faster. For example on one tough climb I’m top 20% out of about 100 folks, my time is a decent 4.30. This guy has done it in 3 minutes flat!

bigjim

Thing that I find depressing is how off the pace of the top folks I am. Theres a guy round here who has ruined the concept of KOM for everyone else, by being so much faster. For example on one tough climb I’m top 20% out of about 100 folks, my time is a decent 4.30. This guy has done it in 3 minutes flat!

Was it on the road? I was idly looking through some road ones in Edinburgh earlier and there was one climb that you would be hard pushed to achieve in a car unless it was the middle of the night and green lit all the way, just seemed ridiculous. I can’t remember where it was now though, there are so many. I’d be tempted to remove the outliers in Strava to remove GPS errors and cheating, therefore, I crown you KOM 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

Ha Ha…thanks Big Jim. In fairness to the King this one was was up the kirkgate, and on rechecking the top 4 are all within 30 seconds of him. No cheating involved sadly.

Its just that I’m very slow in comparison!

Hes obviously just a climbing machine.

Damn you Paul Sharp…:-)

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Only got the seven ( both on and off road) A couple of them are at Gisburn, namely “up hope, down hope back up to quarry” and “final bermy bit” Been ridden 177 and 1105 times respectably so happy with them. Also got a couple of KOM’s and several top tens on the bridalways on the lakes. Sorry for the willy waving but hey, nobody’s going to do it for me 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

Actually remembered i have one

An auto strava created one.

Is the north side of the lochnagar ascent.

You know the one you climb stairs for about 98% of the way walking 🙂

dantsw13

For those that don’t know, digital EPO is a site you can load Strava files into, give them a “boost” then reenter them in Strava. Makes it all a bit pointless really.

simondbarnes

I appear to have 10.

This is probably my favourite…
    http://app.strava.com/segments/1817163

or maybe this one…
    http://app.strava.com/segments/980280

trail_rat
    Free Member

Danstw- would tht be why when i analyze one of the local koms he averages a speed that he never even reached never mind averaged throughout his ride ? Or is that just a glitch

richpips
    Free Member

I’ve got a few but there are plenty of quicker riders around.

As someone says if you can get in the top 10% on the popular big climbs I reckon you’re doing OK.

Weasel
    Free Member

6 plus about 6 running ones – CR’s.

Having said that I have 2nd places that I’m proud of as I’ll never get the KOM as a local team rider seems to snap them up (thus putting me 2nd), but his mates are all damn quick riders as well.

Still think it’s a great training aid though

paulosoxo
    Free Member

None.

gee
    Free Member

I have a few – my happiest ones are Otters Pocket into Supernova near Peaslake as it’s actually a downhill – most of mine are uphills or circuits. Also pleased with the Barry’s loop and a small uphill near Sandown race course as it’a been ridden 10,000+ times by 2000+ people.

Also happy that all of them are proper rides – no KOM hunting here!

jezandu
    Free Member

I’ve got two off road climb ones of about five minute duration. Got both on my single speed.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 220 total)

The topic ‘Strava KOMs’ is closed to new replies.