Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 220 total)
  • Strava KOMs
  • Painey
    Free Member

Had a KOM at Coed Y Brenin for quite a few months and a couple of top 10’s on some other sections 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a few and plenty of top tens on trails ridden by quite a few people inc whole loops of trail centres 😀

I’m also faster than Kristian House on a few local segments, he must’ve had a lot of punctures that day 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Got 12, all back down south where I used to live.

I thought the number would slowly get whittled down in my absence and as faster riders joined Strava, but it’s actually increasing as other people add more segments in my old local woods.

Very happy to get a top 10 up here in my new locale!

cookeaa

I technically did have one, I was playing with the Strava and created a short segment for a section of cheeky DH in my local woods.

Clearly nobody else had logged that particular line on Strava and thus I went straight to the top of a leader board with only me on it and was informed I had a KOM…

TBH I felt a bit shabby awarding myself “Interweb Props” and would probably have guided more people to the woods than I would like so I deleted it…

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve got two, both on climbs and both on the same ride which was >100km in length and on a SS MTB. I’m in the top ten of a few climbs at Hamsterley, but only make it to about the middle of the leaderboards for descents.

I don’t think many properly fast locals use it much off-road and a few of my good results are on slightly odd segments, that include places where people riding in groups would normally stop to regroup.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member
    miketually
    Free Member

Seems like a good opportunity to plug the Singletrackworld.com Forumites Strava club.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Don’t use strava personally,

But a good friend had a KOM whilst out on a ride. The next day the previous “King” drove to the climb rode up and down it, claimed his KOM back and drove to the next next climb.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

22 at the moment, mainly road.

Used to have both ways on Blackfriars Bridge

Still first southbound out of 2053 riders http://app.strava.com/segments/788605 if not for the guy who has the rogue reading of 128mph grr

MM

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

hob knob, who are you on strava being a surrey boy as well…

Currently sat 12 places higher than you on Evian. 😛

Assuming your name is the same as your profile on here…

Yak

I’ve got a few. However, my strava leaderboards are mere targets for my wife to go out and better. Obviously I rule the downhill segments household battle cos i’m a bloke 😉 , but uphill…i’m getting had.

M6TTF
    Free Member

one KOM, low numbers of riders – few top 10s too, up and down

andytherocketeer

I nearly had an anti-KoM too. Only came 2nd last on the Laggan bermy run, despite having a fecked rear wheel and having to nurse the bike down 🙂

But I deleted all my tracks, so someone else got promoted (or demoted if you prefer) back to 2nd slowest.

I do hope the slowest also had a spacked bike 😉

munkster
    Free Member

I was getting more and more bemused at my placings on some segments (including a couple of KOMs) until I changed from a Garmin Dakota 20 (to an Edge 800 since you asked) and realised I must’ve been getting some unfair assistance from the Dakota somehow.

I was only recently toppled off one segment’s summit by a pro rider. I’m good, but not that good 😉

(If I knew how to delete the KOMs without deleting the ride I’d do it…)

freeridenick
    Free Member

Hob knob

gauntlet thrown down old fella 😆

your surname something something to do with bows and arrows?

LS
    Free Member

Lost a few westerly-facing ones recently but still have 87 to play with 🙂
    Use Strava as a training-logging tool and the KOMs come as part of that, not interested in chasing them nor do I shed a tear when I lose one.

A mate of mine has 300-odd.

andytherocketeer

If I knew how to delete the KOMs without deleting the ride I’d do it

If you are the only one that’s ridden the segment, then I think you just delete the segment. If someone else has ridden it, then the table is permanent I think.

Don’t remember. I deleted everything I could ages ago.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Haha, yeah you got me!

njee20
    Free Member

27, road and MTB, up and down hill! Lost 5 in the last few weeks too 😕

Got a couple in the Surrey Hills with 500+ riders.

freeridenick
    Free Member

nice.

pretty stacked in the top 20 of evian, and only seconds in it… 😯

trickydisco
    Free Member

12 here.. all road

best one showing 291 riders

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Well my two will stand for a while and I guess I’ll never do some of those London ones as for Evian well………..

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I just noticed too I have a couple at Swinley, 1st out of 879 on Seagull & out of 533 on some climb. Well I never, apparently I can go up hills!

Painey
    Free Member

Got a couple in the Surrey Hills with 500+ riders”

I was quite close to one on Leith Hill but although I think I could possibly claim an extra couple of seconds to match the best, it’d be plain dangerous and a bad off if it went wrong. I say dangerous as there’s normally a lot of people about so can’t really mess about there.

One thing that puzzles me on some segments is why I’m over 30 seconds down on the leaders (over a period of a minute), yet on others of a similar nature I’m not that far off the top.

Likewise a mate of mine has claimed the KOM on a section by over a minute on more than one occasion. He’s not slow but his GPS gives strange results in certain places.

As long as I’m enjoying myself though none of it really matters.

njee20
    Free Member

pretty stacked in the top 20 of evian, and only seconds in it..

Yeah it’s interesting how many often have a KOM with some daylight (and an erroneous GPX file?) on 2nd, then there’s 30 riders within 3 seconds!

crofts2007
    Free Member

2 Local ones. 1 road, 1 MTB.
    Don’t know if this counts but I have got the highest score on candy crush for 31 out of the first 35 levels among my friends…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

6, 4 of which have only been don by me and 1 is a GPS f up.
    The 2 I have properly I have by 20s on a 2min section so happy with that.

The missus has more QOM’s than me though.

Need to get out and ride

trickydisco
    Free Member
    boxxer7
    Free Member

2 here! Both in the last 7 days too!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

pretty stacked in the top 20 of evian, and only seconds in it..
    Yeah it’s interesting how many often have a KOM with some daylight (and an erroneous GPX file?) on 2nd, then there’s 30 riders within 3 seconds!

Just looking at it, it’s the same on Eric. I’m third on that, but the guy in the lead has put 4 seconds into me! That’s a huge amount on a short track, unless of course he is on a DH bike there…

miketually
    Free Member

One thing that puzzles me on some segments is why I’m over 30 seconds down on the leaders (over a period of a minute), yet on others of a similar nature I’m not that far off the top.

GPS isn’t particularly accurate or reliable so on short segments you’re going to get lots of dodgy results.

There was a blog post looking at it recently, after the Daily Mail used some Strava leaderboards to ‘prove’ cyclists were doing 40MPH+ in 30 limits in London. The KOM they used to prove this only actually had one or two waypoints within the 600m segment and was way faster than the second placed rider.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

44 on the road

trail_rat
    Free Member

my garmin edge GPS told me that while cycling along the deeside way (a converted railway line) i swam across the river dee twice on my way to work yesterday – i dont remember doing so , but when i got to work i did have my swimming stuff in my saddle bag so now im not so sure i didnt ….

crock of crap.

Iphone was much more accurate just [data from the goonies]”the batterys aint so hot”[/data from the goonies]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

thats special, I thought it was tough enough competing with Elite XC riders, WC XC riders and Pro Tour riders out here

deluded
    Free Member

Yes – but I did nothing to deserve it. 😀

A KOM was awarded to me recently. For some reason a particular part of a route that I ride regularly, erroneously picked up a segment that runs nearby – and I shaved 5 seconds off the best time! It’s a bit of a sketchy mini down hill run with some large bomb holes and tight switch backs. I put a note in the comments field that I don’t own the KOM – if only to prevent some teenager (a young group of lads shaped the trail and named the sections) breaking his neck trying to beat it!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yep got a few mix of off-road and on
    But a lot are from two years ago when I was a lot faster

miketually
    Free Member

Here’s the blog post I mentioned: http://veloviewer.com/blog/41mph-the-evidence-against-the-sunday-times-article/

Gives a good overview of why Strava’s inaccuracy can come from.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I was checking out the Maindy Cycle Track in Cardiff and noticed someone had set Strava times. Average speed was something around 60-70kph so I wasn’t sure if this was some seriously quick roadies or someone cheating on a motorbike!

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

read

clocked a time of 33.3mph

stopped reading
    Got a few KOM’s though
    Including 1 up hill out of 40 odd and one down hill out of 66. got 5th out of 123 going up another hill which I was pleased with too 🙂

Northwind

I have a 3rd and will say in all honesty that I could get the KOM by riding through the blind roundabout more dangerously. But I will not take the high moral tone because my 3rd already includes riding at miles over the speed limit anyway 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 220 total)

The topic ‘Strava KOMs’ is closed to new replies.