Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Strava hotspots of the world map – fascinating!
  • globalti
    Free Member

This has got to be one of the most interesting uses of the web and satellite data that I’ve ever seen. Have a look at some of the places that I frequent like Lagos or Kinshasa or Accra; there’s probably only one person using Strava. Cape Town is interesting because it shows you where people feel safe to run and ride and where not – notably the cape Flats between the peninsula and the mainland, which has a bad crime problem.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/?utm_content=bufferea50d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer#4/10.22921/46.49981/yellow/bike

Have fun!

lemonysam
    Free Member

It is interesting although I kind of wonder whether what it mostly shows you is that Strava has fairly poor penetration into non-anglophone markets and then where Brits/Americans go on cycling holidays.

cookeaa

Main hotspots seem to be Western Europe, East and West coasts of the US and South Eastern Australia…

Its not as widely used as you might have thought, looks like there’s a few easy KOMs waiting to be claimed in the Middle East, Far East and Africa, never mind the polar regions…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Main hotspots seem to be Western Europe, East and West coasts of the US and South Eastern Australia…

Population density is the biggest factor though, no one lives in central USA (or central Oz), hence the mid west* is usualy defined as finishing somewhere east of the geographic center of th econtinent! West of that is a whole load of flip all untill you get past the rockies and head down to the coast again.

If you overlayed that map with one showing population density I bet there’s very few areas of dense population where it’s not not popular. And then there’s probably some other reason, China has no internet access, India has horrific roads.

*which in itself has a low populaiton density, corn, corn, corn, meth lab, corn corn, farmstead, corn, corn, meth lab, etc

fieldy
    Free Member

If you overlaid this with the areas where bikes are stolen I think there would be a greater match… It’s no coincidence in my opinion!

globalti
    Free Member

Surely in India and China bikes are used as budget transport, not for enjoyment and fitness?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Richmond park must be fun to ride considering the amount of people there 😐

theflatboy
    Free Member

If you zoom in, it’s a handy way to reveal trail maps around places like Epping Forest, Leith Hill etc.

I reckon I’m the only person on my street using it, as well – enough to generate my own little faint green line!

mogrim

If you zoom in, it’s a handy way to reveal trail maps around places like Epping Forest, Leith Hill etc.

Likewise around Madrid, doing that now 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Box Hill’s quite shiny.

mattjg
    Free Member

Swinley’s fun to look at too but what we learn here, mostly, is Strava roadies outnumber Strave off-roadies but a good margin.

andytherocketeer

is that the same one as the one done a few weeks back, but in blue instead of green?

I guess it’s based on data points? round here, can see interesting features like like hills, bridges, road crossings, and natural points in the forest where you’d regroup, all in red.

edit: also interesting how different countries rave about (UK, NL) or virtually ignore (France, Germany) strava.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Strava has actually developed a product out of all this lovely data they have… Strava Metro. They’re pitching it at commercial & govt organisations. I guess it’s potentially of use in planning infrastructure changes etc.

hooli

Seems a lot more Strava roadies in my area than MTB’ers. Also swinley has been strava’d to death!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you overlaid this with the areas where bikes are stolen I think there would be a greater match… It’s no coincidence in my opinion!

Lay off the blunts, the paranoia is getting to you, and set up the privacy settings if it bothers you.

Surely in India and China bikes are used as budget transport, not for enjoyment and fitness?

True, but you’d still expect some leisure cyclists to pop up.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Those run routes in the in the ocean look like they may be from people running on cruise ships…

jam-bo

More bikes stolen in areas of higher bike use shocker. You heard it here first!!!

superdan

Strava record of a run on a moving cruise ship is getting on for aeroplane on a conveyorbelt isn’t it?

jam-bo

As long as the ship is on a steady course I guess it’ll even out…

Rscott
    Free Member

Does Strave Still incorporate your privacy porimeter on that map as there’s a very faint line running through my house which I presume is me nobody else uses strava. I have a 100m privacy thing on.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Strava hotspots of the world map – fascinating!’ is closed to new replies.