Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • strava for runners..?
  • yunki
    Free Member

I know there is a running function on strava.. but segments seem to be very short and thin on the ground..

Is there a more popular site with runners..?

ahwiles
    Free Member

getting running, create segments.

there seems to be fewer runners using strava around here too (sheffield), i suppose half the appeal of running is the simplicity of it.

(stand up, start running)

IanMunro
    Free Member

but segments seem to be very short and thin on the ground..

On the plus side it means there are less people to beat 🙂
    The difference does surprise me a bit though. Maybe it’s just down to people who like gadjets are more likely to have bikes and thus strava rather than runners.

andytherocketeer

i think it’s more likely that runners use other sites rather than not being in to gadgets.
    They’ll all be on mapmyrun, garmin connect, runkeeper, endomondo, etc. instead.

ahwiles
    Free Member

but, (i could be wrong) those sites don’t do ‘segments’, do they?

surfer
    Free Member

IME most runners are not into it. Maybe the biker gadget thing many of my runner mates dont even bother with GPS.

If there is something that runners use I’m not aware of it. As a runner though I can race against people more often as there are races everywhere.

zilog6128

getting running, create segments.

agree with this! If you want more segments, get out there and make some! If others have already gone over the same route then Strava will automatically create the leaderboard using old data (i.e. it won’t be empty apart from you just because it’s a new segment).

IME most runners are not into it. Maybe the biker gadget thing many of my runner mates dont even bother with GPS.

That could be because you and all your mates are “proper” runners. Everyone I know who runs uses a GPS device!

hofnar
    Free Member

Some of them do offroad cycle segments. I had a kom om my bike somewhere in the middle of nowhere got robbed of it by some long distance runner, bet the cheat wasn’t carrying an almost 3 stone bike like me.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Most runners do not bother carrying a GPS with them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Most is a very over used word……

Would be like saying most mountain bikers dont use gears……

rooney
    Free Member

Currently racing a few bikers on sections at GT and Innerleithen. I can run the up hills faster than bike and KoM points 🙂

Before I get slated I never run downhill sections and always with the traffic uphill…. I also mtb

grtdkad

What Zilog said up there ^^^

Locally, bike wise, I’ve created well over fifty segments. Just run/ride and get on with it

bensales
    Free Member

IME runners tend to measure themselves by standard distances and use them to have pissing contests. Some random stretch of road of an inaccurate distance doesn’t work quite so well.

zilog6128

I’ve just checked Strava segment explore and there are now loads more running segments than the last time I checked (a few months ago). Looks like it’s really taken off locally. There are segments of most of the annual local event routes (sprint Tri, 10k, etc) which is quite cool and actually very handy if anyone wants to have a go at the route. Most short segments seem to be hill climbs which is good, I can see these being good for “pissing contests” as mentioned above!! Quite a few trail segments through the woods which is good too, might have to hit a few of those next weekend!

finbar
    Free Member

Just do a parkrun.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Hmmm, my runner friends love their gadgets, stopwatches 😉 GPS toys, gadgets in their shoes that talk to their gadget on their wrist\pocket 😀

As a runner the local segments I found were very short bits, not really what I wanted, i.e. random short sprints essentially. So I make my complete runs a segment, hopefully more runners will too which will give something to measure myself against. Also means I’m KOM 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

I uploaded a run from last week to Strava (havent really used it after creating a free account ages ago) There seem to be a number of running segments locally and several of them on my frequent runs 🙂
    Just noticed I have a KOM for a pretty bland stretch of road.
    I noticed some more locally that I dont have the GPS data for so I will have to record my run this evening 8)

MrSparkle

I use Strava for running as well as biking. Plenty of others do too near us. There’s a Strava ‘club’ on the Fell Runners forum.

surfer
    Free Member

Cheers Mr Sparkle I will join that.

footflaps

IME most runners are not into it.

I don’t even take a watch running, just a door key….

Not that I use Strava for biking.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘strava for runners..?’ is closed to new replies.