Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Strava ! dedicated lead for drafting allowed or report ?
  • Klunk
    Free Member

thus conflicting with the fairness and integrity of the Segment Leaderboards.

it’s so unfair!

ferrals
    Free Member

were any of them your KOMs?

I’m a strava fanatic and have got a bunch of KOMs/top tens on (offroad) hill climbs but its been purely as part of my training for racing. When I loose a KOM it just gives me an incentive to try harder next session. I would’nt really care if someone did ‘cheat’ to beat it, so long as it was in the realms of possibility that i could get it back with more training, its just greater incentive.

Strava isnt a level playing field, people might be riding cx bikes not mountain bikes, be doing different routes etc etc. I got a top 10 on one fireroad section in afan which is part of penhydd, but i did it not going all the way up to the top but skipping across from the bluescar junction to sidewinder. does that mean it doesnt really count?

njee20
    Free Member

Loads of KOM near me are fakes…..strava in their car / motor bike……then uploaded…so what …I doubt I’ll ever get near 99% of the KOM

No they aren’t, you’re just slow as Dirtyrider said!

I remember once I got KOM on a ride that only a few people did as it was 8 miles long….the person I knocked off was also the person who set the segment ……do he deleted my time …..lol…the Tosser ha ha ha

No he didn’t. No one owns the segment. Your ride can be flagged if someone thought you were in a car or whatever, but that comes back to you to validate, no one can just decide to delete random times from the leaderboard.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andybrad

Strava? Completed it mate.

winner

in other news I left my phone on the other week while racing back to a wife and kid going mental. I was doing approx. 60mph up a very very steep hill in Calderdale. my 2l focus was struggling.

I came third on strava!

As a fat, rubbish, orange five rider I take solace in these facts and think that if it wasn’t for all these cheaters id be KOM of everything, while eating cake.

Rockplough
    Free Member

If ‘non-human propulsion’ is against the rules then aren’t tailwinds and gravity problematic?

njee20
    Free Member

in other news I left my phone on the other week while racing back to a wife and kid going mental. I was doing approx. 60mph up a very very steep hill in Calderdale. my 2l focus was struggling.
    I came third on strava!

Flag it then, takes two seconds.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure gravity’s the same for everyone (except for some on here whose mouths/egos create their own field) and there’s not a right lot you can do about the wind either, you can however decide not to cheat.

OP flag it if you’re bothered, don’t think it would worry me but it’s certainly not in the spirit of friendly competition which is what the social side of strava is for.

matt_outandabout

I’m pretty sure gravity’s the same for everyone

Some of us have a greater mass for Gravity to act upon. 8)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

And a greater density ;P

nach
    Free Member

the fairness and integrity of the Segment Leaderboards.

Choked on my tea.

ferrals
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

I came third on strava!

Flag it then, takes two seconds

My only experience of this was when I was out cold in an ambulance, sirens blaring, with strava still on, so i guess going a bit over 60mp, but Strava flagged it automatically -doesnt it always?

mrblobby
    Free Member

But in all serious no its not really on, someone might have worked their guts out for those KOMs on solo rides.

Are they really working their guts out specifically for a Strava KOM though? Surely it’s riding hard to get stronger/faster for some race/event rather than having the sole objective of getting a KOM? Or maybe I’m not taking it nearly seriously enough!

Strava? Completed it mate.

Quote of the year 🙂

martinhutch

Are they really working their guts out specifically for a Strava KOM though? Surely it’s riding hard to get stronger/faster for some race/event rather than having the sole objective of getting a KOM? Or maybe I’m not taking it nearly seriously enough!

Maybe they are simply using it to log ride distance and duration.

Most of us mid-leaderboard fodder are effectively in that position whether we realise it or not.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does one need a life? Think they can be ordered online without needing to go out into the nasty world

footflaps

someone might have worked their guts out for those KOMs on solo rides.

Then they are very deluded. If you really want to know how good you are, pin a number on your jersey and enter a race.

soobalias
    Free Member

got a technical question about strava, ask strava
    wanna chat about strava, feel free to post it up on stw, but dont expect it to all go your way.

If we are placing a bulk order to spokeshirts* count me in for a Medium.

*other t-shirt printers may be available.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Tempted to print a few

Rorschach
    Free Member

curto80
    Free Member

Doh! Is it too late to patent this?

jimjam
    Free Member
    captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Ready for purchase

Aren’t they going to be a bit expensive once Strava have added on the cost of using their logo?

jimjam
    Free Member

Better buy them quickly then before I get sued.

onehundredthidiot

I’ll have one, dunno if tight for aerodynamics or baggy so as not to gain an advantage.

surfer
    Free Member

Then they are very deluded. If you really want to know how good you are, pin a number on your jersey and enter a race.

This. Trained with loads of guys over the years that are great in training, less good when it mattered.
    Fan of Strava though as a motivational tool in training. Only count my KOM’s (running) if the whole run has been at an even pace. Plenty of guys who run slow and hammer the segments. Not in the spirit!

rusty90
    Free Member

But who completed it fastest? Is there a leaderboard?

jimjam
    Free Member

surfer – Member

This. Trained with loads of guys over the years that are great in training, less good when it mattered.
    Fan of Strava though as a motivational tool in training. Only count my KOM’s (running) if the whole run has been at an even pace. Plenty of guys who run slow and hammer the segments. Not in the spirit! [/quote]

The other night I went out for a spin and got a KOM on a section I’d noticed I was languishing in the 100s on. Previously I wasn’t aware it was a segment. My point being that strava’s a really good tool for encouragement on solo rides. Call it a training aid, call it whatever but I like it because it keeps me honest when I’m out on my own.

Of course it’s not a race, and people should consider it as such but there are plenty of people out there who, for various reasons can’t or don’t want to race and it gives them some idea of how they might stack up.

taxi25
    Free Member

Got to laugh at the “to cool for Strava” guys. Thing is thousands of people enjoy Strava and work hard to improve their position on the leader boards. If thats not for you fine, but why piss on other people’s chips over something that you have no interest in ??
    Op as you’ve found out motor pacing is against the spirit of Strava. If your sure the pro riders Kom’s where motor paced flag the ride.

bikebouy
    Free Member

T-Shirts Ace !! 😆

bob_summers

Surely if it’s flat enough for motor pacing to make a difference, it’s not really a “KOM” (notwithstanding being motorpaced to the foot of the climb at 65kmh), is it?

Anyway, you can tell pretty easily in most cases that the segment was motorpaced, so while you might not have the badge, you do have the moral victory 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

less good when it mattered

Shit. Nobody told me that none of my cycling matters.

stevio

Jimjam – seriously tempted – are you another 26″ recluse like me after looking @ the other tee’s!!!!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shit. Nobody told me that none of my cycling matters.

Did you not get the memo?

Training is training and racing is racing. Strava is a training tool, it’s not racing.

🙂

eskay

I was riding near Newport Saturday morning and was passed by a female pro cyclist being paced behind a moped. Just checked Strava and she is not on there. She would probably be at the top of the leader board without assistance anyway!

I really could not give two hoots about the leader boards, I just use it as a log of where I have been etc.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Did you not get the memo?

Training is training and racing is racing. Strava is a training tool, it’s not racing.

Don’t do any racing when you’re training, you know, for fun?

scotroutes

One of these or a STW 100th Tee. It’s not even a contest 😀

ell_tell
    Free Member

After a big crash at Cwmcarn, I uploaded my Mytacks route to Strava and was surprised to find I’d notched a KOM.

I then realised I had left it running whilst I drove myself to A&E.

I deleted the route as I thought it was only fair. Though it was quite amusing to see my efforts running around the top of Cwmcarn trying to find my tooth I had knocked out!

aracer
    Free Member

The thing is, some people do and there’s nothing wrong with that (not having a go at you, yours is a quite reasonable post, it was just a good place to put the comment). My laugh about people having to tell us they don’t give a shit is a sarcastic one – fine if you don’t then ignore it. Likewise if for you it is just for logging your rides then ignore the leaderboard.

For some of us the leaderboard is a training aid – it gives you a target to aim for. I’m quite happy to admit that I’ve gone out on rides and hammered a segment I’ve been aiming for to try and get the KOM – that’s not against the spirit or rules of Strava at all – I have a tendency to ride steady most the time, so having something specific like this to aim for is good for me. If people upload e-bike or motor paced rides then that does spoil it – as njee and others have mentioned, contrary to the belief of many who aren’t near the top of the leaderboards, most rides at the top are genuine rides.

Of course the KOM rides might be with a tailwind (most of mine are 😉 ) riding in a group, or during a pro race, but that’s all fine – those people are still all riding a bike in the normal way bikes are ridden by the vast majority of people. If it puts the KOM out of reach of normal mortals on solo rides, then so be it – I’m not going to motorpace to get it back (though I might consider the TT bike at some point!)

Oh, I quite often record unicycle rides as runs as they’re more similar in speed and settings I use for running work better than the settings I use for bike riding. I do usually try and quickly change the type of activity after uploading, but did once get the ride flagged very quickly when I didn’t get around to that immediately and stole somebody’s KOMs with rather unfeasible times!

cheekyget
    Free Member

That’s probably because your shit slow, on 99.99% of any segment I’m on nothing is in a vehicle

Yeah I probaly am slow to some but I’m talking roadie strava…..last year …the KOM up boxhill was something like 40mph av speed….yeah right!!….35mph.that’s me in sprint mode for about 30secs tops…let alone a 2mile climb

Maybe now with all the updates on strava things have changed now…..but like I said I’m only interested in beating my mates…or at least trying to get into the top 3…. Even if it is for just one day!!..ha ha ha

aracer
    Free Member

This Box Hill? http://www.strava.com/segments/3623111

KOM might have briefly been something silly, but then presumably that ride was flagged and removed leaving the pros at the top of the leaderboard (you’d be doing extremely well to make the top 50 on that I’d imagine). Because that’s how it works properly – “rides” which are made in vehicles, motorpacing, on e-bikes etc. get flagged and removed, and as mentioned most of the leaderboards are pretty clean. I’d expect a dodgy ride on Box Hill to get picked up quicker than most (TBH anybody who isn’t a pro is going to get their ride flagged if they take that KOM).

I’m mostly interested in the road leaderboards – have ridden my bike off-road very little since I’ve got into Strava and am usually doing well to get into the top half off-road – and have only very occasionally seen a dodgy ride on any segments I’m on (which I’ve flagged).

IanMunro
    Free Member

There’s a fair few broken power meters in that box hill top 20!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Strava ! dedicated lead for drafting allowed or report ?’ is closed to new replies.