Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Strava and garmin
  • adsh
    Free Member

Ive trained a lot have no real races until August so am ashamed to say I’m finding Strava quite motivational.

What really annoys me is the weird start and finishes of uphill segments. I kill myself, recover at the top, get home and find the segment started on the flat or continues on etc. I don’t think I can bring myself to learn segments so as my edge 800 is getting pretty old I’m wondering what’s on the market to allow me to see off road segments as I ride?

jam-bo

520 does, 820 does, 810 does I think.

tomhoward

Strava premium lets you see live segments doesn’t it? That on your smartphone of choice.

prawny

810 definitely does. Turned it off on mine though itcwas doing my swede in.

MSP

Most of the modern ones do, as above it can be quite annoying, you have to be selective and only transfer the segments you want, don’t let it just upload everything in your area to the device.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Pay a whole 3 squids for Ghostracer Pro and select unlimited segments to get audio updates for. 😉

http://getghostracer.com/

MoreCashThanDash

I recently came 588th out of 589 on the leaderboard for the climb into our village that I didn’t know was a segment. Took me 1 hour 45 minutes to do 300 metres. 😳

Possibly because the pub is 10 metres from the end of the segment…. 8)

slowbloke
    Free Member

prawny
    810 definitely does. Turned it off on mine though itcwas doing my swede in.

This. I removed all the favourite segments otherwise the local trail centre becomes a beep fest!

adsh
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll just check out the local hill segments before I head out.

chakaping
    Free Member

If there’s no “correct” segment you can always make your own.

Personally I prefer to just do the ride and get the Strava results after.

When I forget the Garmin and use my phone, I find the live info a bit distracting.

deadkenny
    Free Member

510 also does. Requires Strava premium for Strava segments, though you can manually load or create Garmin segments and it will do it the same.

Thing with Strava is a lot of people create segments poorly. Ideally they should start a short way in and end a short way before the end.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918227-Optimizing-Segment-Creation-how-to-create-good-segments

In there also mentions confusions between road and off-road segments, but that would easily be solved if Strava would finally recognise mountain biking as an independent activity to cycling! (long campaigned for and ignored. They’re only interested in roadies).

mr_stru

The 810 does this. It’s not totally exact though and there’s been few times where the device will tell me a time for a segment and Strava will be a few seconds different when I upload. I only have a few segments on the device rather than anything fancier because having it tell me about loads of segments would just be annoying.

akira

Also mr stru your glacial level of speed confuses modern technology.

rone

The 810 does this. It’s not totally exact though and there’s been few times where the device will tell me a time for a segment and Strava will be a few seconds different when I upload. I only have a few segments on the device rather than anything fancier because having it tell me about loads of segments would just be annoying.

This. It’s not quite good enough and sometimes it works both ways. Sometimes you’ve got it on the Garmin dial and then when you get back Strava says no.

Overall though it’s a decent way of working out where segments start and finish.

joat

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    I recently came 588th out of 589 on the leaderboard for the climb into our village that I didn’t know was a segment. Took me 1 hour 45 minutes to do 300 metres.

Possibly because the pub is 10 metres from the end of the segment….

Lightweight!
    Someone stopped in the pub longer than you. Have one more next time.

chilled76
    Free Member

Thread hijack…

How do you get the 810 to do this?

Never used that function on mine and I’d ike to..

Idiot proof steps please?

pnik

Chilled76 I think you need strava premium to do it with the 810, i seem to remember trying when i got mine and could only do garmin connect segments which nobody uses. Im on a free trial with strava at the moment, i’ll have a go and post back if it works!

tenfoot

Definitely need strava premium. It’s been a while so I can’t remember what was involved but I do remember having to reconnect my Garmin and strava accounts. Can’t remember if I selected live segments in strava or connect though, sorry.

alanw2007

For Strava segments on the 810:
    Update your 810 firmware to the latest v6.10. You need at least v4.2. If you have Garmin Express on your computer it will show you if firmware is available.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6005

I think you need a Strava premium account. Link your Garmin Connect and Strava accounts if you’ve not done so already.
    On strava app or website, click the star of the segments you want (favourite segments). This marks them for sync to Garmin.
    Finally, sync your 810 with Garmin Connect either by plugging it in and using Garmin Express on your computer or by connecting over Bluetooth to the phone app.
    Segments should appear as you approach them. They should be listed in the Segments menu item on the 810 too. You can also set K/QOM, followed riders or your PR as the target time.

wilburt
    Free Member

You may also want to tell the Garmin which segments to show live. It can get annoying having too many. At the moment I have three road and on off road segemnts set as live.

mooman
    Free Member

I have never felt the need for strava premium; those that do … what are the benefits?

Having the garmin beeping at every section would annoy me, and have me concerned about battery going flat.

So what am I missing?

wilburt
    Free Member

Balance?

They dont beep and you can have a many or as few as you want live.
    Premium gives you more analysis and supports a company that provides a service many find valuble.

You personally dont have to like or want it.

mooman
    Free Member

More analysis of what?

I already have analysis of my speed/cadence/HR, a not too accurate power analysis, and even a history of my times riding different sections; I can’t think of any other analysis I’d want.

I not interested in other people’s times or analysis of different sections … that’s not why I ride a bike, so premium seems like paying just for the sake of paying.

So happy it’s ok for me not to like or want it though; sleep better tonight knowing that

wilburt
    Free Member

Oh dear, angry about something someone else does? Thats not very healthy.

njee20
    Free Member

In there also mentions confusions between road and off-road segments, but that would easily be solved if Strava would finally recognise mountain biking as an independent activity to cycling! (long campaigned for and ignored. They’re only interested in roadies).

How? It’s down to GPS error that it thinks you’re on a road when you’re on a trail, they can’t remove that or you’d only hit segments far more sporadically.

I like the live segments on my 1000, I have all the sound turned off because beeping Garmins are bloody annoying anyway. It’s not perfect – it won’t do overlapping segments, nor will it do segments at all if it’s navigating, but it’s pretty good!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Strava and garmin’ is closed to new replies.