Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Strava Addiction
  • miketually
    Free Member

I’ve started looking at the profiles of people ahead of me on segment leaderboards and making sure that I don’t stop mid-segment on rides.

Anyone else suffering from Strava Addiction?

Me: http://app.strava.com/athletes/361145

I will get KOM on the southern approach to Great Pinseat! How do I shave 3 minutes off the climb?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Get faster!

MrSparkle

Start smoking EPO in the pipe, Mike!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

On my local segments there’s generally one person who’s an order of magnitude ahead of the rest of the field. I don’t see how they could’ve done those climbs at that speed without having enlisted the help of a passing tractor or milk float. It’s only the small fry whose times can be bettered with achievable increments of improvement that I’m after.

buncefm
    Free Member

i and all my mates are loving strava, it has taken over our lives :o) and also made us fitter and better riders. every one wants the Kom’s. ive met new people to ride with through strava also.
    its ace

grahamh
    Free Member

Theres a climb on my commute to work, I used to just plod up it,but since I started to use Strava I have been putting a bit more effort in on the hill.

zerocool

Have you tried cutting all the corners, straight lining and generally ruining the track/trail? That seems to be what most of the people down here in the Westcountry do to get faster Strava times.

What’s wrong with riding the trail that’s actually there rather than missing most of it out?

Tom Kp

Taff
    Free Member

I love it. Sprinting is a lot better and known climbs I push a little harder on. Does have its downsides such as gettig annoyed with ramblers and horse riders if they are on your segment and also pushing yourself harder leads to some more crashes!!

turtleheading
    Free Member

Theres a climb by me thats been done in about 2mins, at 68kph! I consider myself an above average rider, and can only do it it about 6mins!
    I think they need some system so that times like that can be questioned…

muggomagic

You can report times. It’s one of the options on the “actions” drop down.

miketually
    Free Member

They have one.

simondbarnes

There is, you can flag the ride.

I was rather chuffed to get KOM on Shagger’s this afternoon…

http://app.strava.com/segments/1451786

turtleheading
    Free Member

in that case… dimproblemo

bol

I just lost a KOM to someone who was obviously in a car. I know I shouldn’t care, but I do. It’s the only one I’ve got. 🙁

The actions box only gives me the option to flag it as dangerous.

simondbarnes

The actions box only gives me the option to flag it as dangerous.

Go to the person’s ride, click ‘flag ride’. Not that I can ever be arsed to do that.

miketually
    Free Member

There’s a ‘comedy’ segment near us that’s listed as a 28% climb, despite being slightly downhill. Must be a glitch in their database that’s then autocreated the segment. http://app.strava.com/segments/1169807

I could ride that every day on my way to work to get my climbing total up 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

There’s a ‘comedy’ segment near us that’s listed as a 28% climb, despite being slightly downhill.

And far too short to be useable, you could likely ride that side by side with someone and get times 5-10 seconds apart its so short! They need to make a minimum length for segments to compensate for gps inaccuracy.

DT78
    Free Member

Well I went out today specifically to take a kom, needed to find 4 seconds on the segment, I did 5 runs, 2 slow checking line choice and even sweeping branches off the track. Then 3 at full tilt. The result? I was 1 second quicker, so now 3 seconds off kom….

I did however pick off another kom kind of by accident, so overall pleased

Taff
    Free Member

I don’t get why I got fastest time on a section today but it’s not appeared as a KOM don’t know why

STATO
    Free Member

Sometimes it takes time to show up.

nuke

Just joined Strava this week….finding it very addictive but excellent for training: I’ve been been out most days this week.

Its been very busy over the weekend not surprisingly…dropped a good few positions on certain popular Surrey Hill trails. Damn you muddymoles! 😉

bigsi
    Free Member

Mate was telling me yesterday of a ride recorded on his Strava which started him in Belgium & got him to the South coast in about 20 seconds. 😯

He was only commuting the 12 miles to work 😆

HTTP404
    Free Member

anybody worked out why the power calculation (as inaccurate as it is) does not seem to work – even after entering rider weight and default cycle data?

hugor
    Free Member

If you want to claim a KOM just ride 75% of a segment real hard then turn off in any direction.
    It seems a bit flawed IMO for short segments.

pingu66
    Free Member

I went on a ride that covered a few segments and its now saying 2nd fastest even though its a well slower time than my best and doesn’t list in the segment.

Also theres a segment thats impossible to ride near me that someone posted at 22mph and there is simply no track.

There are a lot of glitches in the system but if you treat it as a “bit of fun” you won’t go far wrong I feel.

trail_rat
    Free Member

pingu – its saying its your second fastest time down that segment

hugor – that appears to be a myth or your gps is shagged …. i tested that one out a few times on my commute – ie there is a segment i can either ride the full length(8kms) of or turn off a turn early and take a cheeky off road section about 500m from the end of the segment.

if i turn off the segment does not register.

alex222
    Free Member

strava is probably a good training tool. I won’t use it though cos of how much people go on about it. plus on my phone it would rinse the battery (I have used similar gps apps) and I refuse to shell out money on a garmin.

chojin
    Free Member

DT78 – have just seen your segments in lordswood – quite impressive 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FWIW No corners cut
    Strava KOM’s
    Just a god challenge

hugor
    Free Member

hugor – that appears to be a myth or your gps is shagged

I don’t think this is a STW myth
    Unfortunately a number of my KOM’s have come about this way.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Gps shagged then ? I was using an iphone . Couldnt fool it

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks Chojin not quite sure how I can find another 3 seconds on 90degrees, think I’m braking ever so slightly too much on a couple of the turns

The chap who has the KOM rides a camber 29er and pretty sure he rides for Hargroves. Seen he popped along to QE today and got another 4 KOMs!! I’m sure next time he comes back to LW I will be put back in my place.

Seriously quick chap. Maybe I need a 29er?!

faz083
    Free Member

I just noticed I got a KOM out of 28 people! First time I’ve used the app. Topped out at 63kph down a hill. And another odd thing – a guy did exactly the same segment, and got sixth place, 30 minutes after me… today! how random!

grum
    Free Member

Just downloaded the app. 😯

I have less than zero chance on any climbs but will have a go at some DHs – I could see this ending badly!

hugor
    Free Member

Gps shagged then ? I was using an iphone . Couldnt fool it

I’m sorry your iphone has led you to delusions of grandeur.
    Perhaps you should purchase an accurate device like the Garmin Edge 800 like I have before claiming your trophies.

faz083
    Free Member

I’m sorry your iphone has led you to delusions of grandeur.
    Perhaps you should purchase an accurate device like the Garmin Edge 800 like I have before claiming your trophies.

ultimate troll?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Clearly not that accurate if you’re claiming trophies for riding 75% of the track 😛

hugor
    Free Member

The point I was making was about the deficiencies of the KOM system due to segment mismatching.
    I don’t have any respectable KOMs to brag about sadly 🙁
    When you see routes plotted by phones the distance between data points is massive compared to gps devices.
    This makes timing for short segments almost meaningless.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

Some miserable git reported one of my segments as dangerous so it’s been taken down, and I think I nailed the KOM too but can’t check…. Pants.

STATO
    Free Member

If you want to claim a KOM just ride 75% of a segment real hard then turn off in any direction.
    It seems a bit flawed IMO for short segments.

hugor – that appears to be a myth or your gps is shagged …. i tested that one out a few times on my commute – ie there is a segment i can either ride the full length(8kms) of or turn off a turn early and take a cheeky off road section about 500m from the end of the segment.

if i turn off the segment does not register.

If you read the rules, its 75% of a track AND going through the START and END points. If your ‘turn off’ goes near enough the end point for the system to consider it within the bounds of GPS error then it will accept it, ie. more likely on short sections.

FYI, For some segments an iPhone can be more accurate then a Garmin. I’ll explain.

iPhone drops a GPS point every 1 second. Garmin drop them when needed (dependant on settings) so in a long straight line the Garmin will most likely try to save memory by only dropping points near the start of the straight. Strava takes the nearest GPS point to the start/finish to work out your time, therefore if your segment starts or ends on a straight road the Garmin GPS point may be further away than a point dropped but your iPhone.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Strava Addiction’ is closed to new replies.