Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Strathpuffer 16
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I would be willing to bet £10 that if terrahawk did it on a bike with gears he would still win, and win better than he would have on a singlespeed.

epicyclo

munrobiker – Member
    I would be willing to bet £10 that if terrahawk did it on a bike with gears he would still win, and win better than he would have on a singlespeed.

You’re forgetting the time lost to rebuilding the drivetrain mid race… 🙂

jekkyl

How’s it going? any pics?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jekkyl
    terrahawk
    Free Member

win better

you’ve lost me mate..

Worth noting that I’m not there and Guy’s doing ok considering he spent the last 3 days riding to the race from Lincolnshire.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Guy’s doing ok considering he spent the last 3 days riding to the race from Lincolnshire.

😯

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Looks like the rain that’s passing over most of us this evening will miss them doing the race.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

crazy-legs

4hrs in, Guy Martin in 14th.

Up to 9th now.
    Minipips is in 67th – not bad going considering he’s 10!

Although I’ll admit I’m also impressed by Guy Martin riding up to the race – must be the best part of 500 miles! Is he riding home again?

terrahawk
    Free Member

I don’t think he’s riding home, he’s at work on Monday.

twinklydave

he’s at work on Monday

See, I think that’d be harder than riding there first 🙂

Looks like there some cracking racing going on…

crazy-legs

Just looking at the fastest laps scoreboard, seems that Dingwall Academy (team of 10) have a ringer in their team – look at that first lap, it’s 3.5 minutes quicker than anybody else!

kitebikeski
    Free Member

I can confirm he is a Dingwall academy pupil, 2nd year Youth xc rider, yes he is quick!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Having both ends explode on me whilst asleep on wednesday i had to cancel my entry. Gutted.

jekkyl

looks like Guy’s struggling or he’s had a technical as lap 14 took him 4hrs and 48 mins. It’s 4am and he’s back down to 23rd. Maybe he just went for a snooze!

swavis

Well that was muddy!!!!

Brilliant fun though! We were parked right at the top of the fireroad climb and tried to give out as much encouragement as possible, as well as the odd tea cake and bits of flapjack. Looked like most were having a good time 😀

frood
    Free Member

Hope the rider that fell off the bridge into the river last night was ok? Had someone helping and an ambulance on the way when I checked. Was it minipips that managed 14 laps? Chappeau!
    Managed 21 myself and kicking myself for not going out for the lady one. Would have been worth 2 spots but not sure I had anything left to give

miketually
    Free Member

Guy’s doing ok considering he spent the last 3 days riding to the race from Lincolnshire.

Good lad!

nikk
    Free Member

chapeu frood, 21 laps is amazing!

Have to say I didn’t really enjoy it much myself. Adding to lack of fitness and training and carrying extra weight, the course was harder than 2014. The change to all the final route dropping back to the start means what was a great fun blast home is now a horrible bogfest. The top is like a boggy rocky 4x track, it has some charms but the clag takes the shine off for sure. The final bit was a f—ing disaster though, that track was in no way fit for purpose.

Also saw that person lying under the bridge in a silver blanket, already three riders in attendance so just checked with nearest marshals that help was on the way. Hear it was a female rider and she had broken her leg 🙁

Have to say the bridge is also not fit for purpose as well, 99% of the time people ride or walk over it ok, but it is really badly designed, too narrow plus the ‘rails’ on either side rising up like that mean it is easy to catch a pedal on them, and I presume get bucked off the bike. Penalty for failure is a 10 foot drop onto a river bed. Heard my next door neighbor say they had gone over there as well, but no damage.

Highlight for me was vomiting into the undergrowth at about 11:30pm just after the wooden teepee, then going for a wee lie down in it, much to the amusement of passing riders 🙂 After that I got back and curled up into my tent for a lovely 8 hours+ 🙂 Got up and did 1 more lap in the morning, TBH I was feeling far too fresh and rested, shoulda got up earlier, but I CBA with all that mud.

No adventure show this year?

Dunno if I’d do it again unless I heard they had spent a bunch on the course, think I could do a similar ride closer to home and not take the whole weekend +1 day of work out for it!

trout
    Free Member

Well done NiKK was funny seeing a body in the teepee glad you recovered .

7 of us managed to bag 3 rd prize in the teams of 10 .
    pretty grueling down that last bit well done to every one was a great atmosphere

scotroutes

Seems fair. There’s a lot of events on these days and I’m not sure what “angle” they could add to freshen up coverage of the Puffer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, they need to come away from doing the same events every year, and show how much more events there are on people’s doorsteps.

epicyclo

It was Clag-opalypse!

Only once before in my life have I had to push my bike downhill, and that was in Harris into a wind that was lifting me off the ground. I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one pushing – I was beginning to think I’m getting too old for Grade Z fun.

My race was somewhat compromised by my daughter having a first lap wipeout on the rock slab. She’s ok now, but was looking really dodgy. She went home for a while and came back full of good intentions of continuing, so I volunteered to nip up to the top marshal’s post to retrieve her bike.

So if you saw an old bloke jogging up the course wearing a helmet without a bike around dusk, that was me. The killer was the marshals had kindly returned the bike to base just before I started.

I returned only to find that my daughter had gone into shock so we took her home again, and that was the end of my race. Still, it was a nice 9km perambulation…

It was going to be my last, but now there’s unfinished business, so I’ll be back for next year. But this time with gears, I’m definitely old and frail now. 🙂

I agree with the comments about the bridge.

I reckon the bridge is ok as part of an XC course, but not for a course where there’s brain dead 24 hour soloists at stupid o’clock. The potential consequences could be disastrous, and there’s crashes there every year.

It was disappointing to see riders straight lining some of the corners to avoid the mud.

Fair enough up to a point, ie safety, but using it to overtake other riders is cheating in my opinion. If you’re going to do that the decent thing to do is wait for the rider you were following and who is using the course to go past so you don’t gain any unfair positional advantage. I saw 2 male riders pass a young woman this way, and thought it poor form. Or less politely, don’t cheat.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Took the camera round a late lap…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Great pics mate, that first one sums up the puffer.

onehundredthidiot

Just didn’t enjoy that at all. The end was brutal killed my bike, then did for the ss I borrowed.

Not helped by the climb being crowded with loads of folk (I remember when this were all fields).

nikk
    Free Member

Awesome pics Kbrembo! I stopped just into the 1st tech section after the fireroad at one point in the night and looked round and saw all the lights and wished I had a camera and a tripod! Glad someone did 🙂

epicyclo – I had a quick chat with you when you were running up the fireroad climb. Sorry your daughter came a cropper, hope she is better today.

devs
    Free Member

Partner went down with lurgy on Fri, woke up like death on Sat. We were DNS. Spent the day walking the course and scrounging beer on the way round. Spent the night with a carry out and a teaspoon in my kettle and rattled it at every rider until I ran out of steam at about 3.30am. Can’t say I was upset to miss out this year. It looked hateful at the end. It was going to be my last puffer, but I too now have unfinished business.

richpips
    Free Member

Minipips won youngest solo rider trophy, riding 13 laps and finishing in 58th place.

Then we drove 8 hours home.

Currently drinking whisky (me not him).

nikk
    Free Member

Congrats to Minipips, that is a solid ride. Good to see you Rich, even if it was briefly and 100m from the finish!

phatstanley
    Free Member

got to camp next to troutie/chris and some other lovely lads from yorskshire and reekietoon.
    the aftersmell of troutie’s beer in my mug when i had my sunday am coffee was lovely.
    great guy and (this was agreed on by our quad) probably the finest home brew we’ve had.
    nice work, man!
    FATTY OWLS FTW!!!!

munrobiker
    Free Member

It was going to be my last puffer

Ahahahahahaha!

I’ve had 3 last puffers.

Any idea what happened to Jo Page (littlegirlbunny)? Only rode 9 hours but got more laps than many solos who did the full 24.

crazy-legs

Minipips won youngest solo rider trophy, riding 13 laps and finishing in 58th place.

I reckon he’s probably got that trophy sewn up for the next 5 years at least!
    Top work Minipips! 🙂

jekkyl

Any news on what happened to Mr Martin?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Any idea what happened to Jo Page (littlegirlbunny)? Only rode 9 hours but got more laps than many solos who did the full 24.

she said on FB that she had an epiphany and decided to quit at that point.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

she said on FB that she had an epiphany and decided to quit at that point.

I did that, except my ‘epiphany’ was about 3 weeks ago! 😆

terrahawk
    Free Member

Any news on what happened to Mr Martin?

he rode there and did the race as a massive training ride for the Tour Divide. At least to illustrate to him what the TD might feel like, anyway.
    He stopped and had a few hours kip mid-race.

trail_rat
    Free Member

epiphany = wall ??/

crazy-legs

He stopped and had a few hours kip mid-race.

Sensible chap.
    I did that once at a very muddy Mayhem, stopped and had a few (actually about 8…) hours kip mid-race.

I hadn’t even ridden to the event either!

bedmaker

I must try to ensure my epiphany next year is stronger.

Trouties homebrew ruined my dry January 🙂 There was no way I was going to share a gazebo with those shiny kegs of wonderment without partaking. Never mind homebrew, it’s some of the best beer I’ve tasted full stop.

There hasn’t been a proper muddy puffer for a few years. I think this one qualified though. Fatbikes don’t steer too well on top of that gloop…

devs
    Free Member

+1 for troutie’s beer. It was ace. Jo decided that she was done torturing herself purely for the validation of others. Legs and body were fine but her head wasn’t. Shame as I had her down to win it, I hope she comes back and gives it another shot. She loved the course when I showed her round it a couple of weeks ago but that was sans muck.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Strathpuffer 16’ is closed to new replies.