Stratford olympic park mtb trails £6/hour a bit expensive?

Home Forum Bike Forum Stratford olympic park mtb trails £6/hour a bit expensive?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Stratford olympic park mtb trails £6/hour a bit expensive?
  • inkster

As above. Am I alone in thinking this, £4 for kids / concessions as well .

londonerinoz

Are these what they’ve put in to make up for the loss of the Beastway trails? I’d be interested to hear what we ended up getting in return after all the pledges made before the demolition of Eastway. Old news no doubt, but I left London in 2005.

As to pricing, it rather depends what’s on offer, but it sounds like an attempt to keep numbers manageable to me.

inkster

Yes, these are the replacement for the beastway trails. drove past them today. Never rode the old trails, [though seen plenty of pics of them] the new ones look like standard trail centre fare, more twisty and technical than before, mini rock gardens etc. not much elevation, though they seem to have designed in as many short-sharp technical climbs as they can. 4.5 miles long they say. looks like a good training loop for hammering, just a little surprised at the pricing and time limit of one hour for that price.

londonerinoz

That actually sounds like a decent distance within the space. IIRC from putting up the Beastway courses they weren’t quite as far and the legacy plans at the time started with less space and got smaller, so it didn’t seem like there would be much point bothering. This sounds like something far more decent than we had hoped, although the elevation was what made (B)Eastway special. I wonder if racing can return, although the old courses would vary each week and new lines would be created.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

When you think about how much your $2000 trail-conquering/all-mountain steed costs to run per year it’s probably ok value for money. Compared to the price of the woods behind NatWest in Swindon, less so.

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

Someone’s havin a laugh.. £12 for an averagely brief ride?

ChunkyMTB

Jon Taylor – Member

When you think about how much your $2000 trail-conquering/all-mountain steed costs to run per year it’s probably ok value for money. Compared to the price of the woods behind NatWest in Swindon, less so.

Converting the US dollar, that’s only about £1,200…..

Plus I had no idea horses were that cheap. More expensive to run a year than a bike.

ska-49

I would love to ride there for a couple hours.
    Has any one got a link/more info?
    I think it’s a reasonable price for a novel experience.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I would love to ride there for a couple hours.
    Has any one got a link/more info?
    I think it’s a reasonable price for a novel experience.

Is it novel? It’s not like the trails were anything to do with the Olympics! Bit steep for my liking!

uselesshippy

And people thought the 2 quid to park at swinley was steep.

officialtob

only about £1,200

How did the word ‘only’ ever start coming before “£1200” for a push bike. 🙂

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

it would certainly make it the most expensive trail centre in the country!

Premier Icon yoshimi
    Subscriber

People are actually prepared to pay to ride somewhere – madness 😯

julianwilson

For £6 per hour on nice trails on private (er, is it?) land I, I would be expecting first aid, event village, marshals and a race plate. Facetious yes, but there are xc races run for profit that don’t charge much more than that by the hour-on-trails, partcularly longer/marathon ones. 😕 Last year’s 24/12 cost me about £3.50 an hour for the time i was actually riding my bike, and I got all the above plus swag bag, three nights camping, drinking water, toilets and hot showers too.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

That works out more expensive per hour than any uk uplift I can think of. Wonder what the thinking is?

londonerinoz

If it’s Stratford Olympic Park as the OP states, then no these trails weren’t built for the Olympics. They bulldozed the Eastway road circuit and its “Beastway” environs to make way for the velodrome and competitor village, amongst other things I understand. The users campaigned for a legacy replacement for at least a couple of years, but the promises grew less and less viable.

I’m really interested to know what’s come to be and how. Any ex Eastway Supporters or Structureless Tyranny about to shed some light on this?

I’ll have a look myself later when I’ve got a proper computer handy.

Pricewise, yes, we’re used to riding access usually being free, but £6 isn’t that much compared to many things you don’t think twice about, and the trails possibly don’t warrant riding for more than an hour for most visitors. Eastway used to charge IIRC.

Another thing is that one of the great benefits of the Eastway/Olympic Park site is that Londoners can cycle there so there’s no car, petrol, parking, or train cost required. It was also central enough to be able to fit in after work riding, like an entire 10 week or so Beastway series over the Summer for example.

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

So roughly the same price per hour as a cinema ticket. Doesn’t sound like an outrage.

inkster

I’ve got mixed feelings about it really, agree it’s similar to a cinema ticket or [london] exhibition entrance fee.

My better half [who rides as well] lives about 100 yards from the Olympic park, so it costs about the same as a return tube fare up to epping forrest, less than a train ticket or petrol out to the Surrey hills or Kent where we usually so it’s great for us.

Still thinking it’s quite pricey if you’ve got to travel there. especially surprised about it being £4 for kids, not much of a legacy for local youngsters coming from one of the poorest boroughs in the country.

So not that much if you’re used to prancing about on a $2000 ‘steed’ [we fall into that category] .I just feel that this particular situation says more about luxury than legacy.

Also, it seems this price is for an hours riding which seems a bit tight.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Is that a parking fee or do they limit access in some other way?

Premier Icon Andy_B
    Subscriber

It doesn’t seem that outrageous to me to charge for access to the space in London. I’m sure there are plenty of other activities who could use the same space and would be happy to pay £6 for it round there. If I lived in that part of London I’d pay for it on occasion to get a chance to ride when I otherwise wouldn’t.

Is there a trail map?

Premier Icon yoshimi
    Subscriber

London LOL

Does the £6 include the uplift service.?

poisonspider

It must be a London thing, I can’t imagine anything similar lasting long up North.

And since when has riding your bike been akin to going to the cinema???

inkster

You’ve got a point there poisonspider,

I’ve been up to Lee Quarry a few times and it’s great to see the local kids on their supermarket specials out enjoying the trails and the pump track rather than sitting at home on playstations. I can’t imagine they’d be doing it if it cost them £4 /hour. some of their bikes probably cost less than that! and some of their skills put me to shame as well!

stevious

The ‘per hour’ limit seems a bit odd to me – can that even be policed?

Oh and Jon’s $2000 is NZD not USD, so about £1000 8)

londonerinoz

If it’s managed anything like Eastway was then they’ll probably be fairly relaxed about the time limit. If BC have got their grubby little track supporting mitts involved in it though then nothing would surprise me – I’m guessing the tracks are still close to the velodrome. I’d also guess any policing would be on the ancillary facilities rather than roving rangers/

londonerinoz

Lee Valley Velopark
    http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/content/cms/london2012/velo-park/mountain-biking/

Referring to the entire Olympic Park legacy:
    “‘Ideally the park would pay for itself…the park has to generate its own income.’ That means…charging the public to use them.”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/10127550/One-year-on-the-transformation-of-Londons-Olympic-park.html

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Perfect spot for the city bankers to get some use out of their carbon Santa Cruz shred sleds though, eh?

Increase it to £30 p/h I say.

carbonfiend

Epping Forest about 20 mins ride away is free pounds per hour & you get nothing but unpolished natural technical single track for miles & miles & miles.

Could be good for winter though as Epping then transforms into one huge enormous swamp

The last I heard about the venue though was there was major issues with crossing points where pedestrians will have access across trails

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

stevious – Member

The ‘per hour’ limit seems a bit odd to me – can that even be policed?

I’m hoping there’s coloured armbands and a big multicoloured clock thing up a tree, with klaxons and stuff.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Just because you don’t pay at a Forestry comission trail centre, doesn’t mean it did not cost a lot of money to the public purse. I bet some of the less visited trail centres cost a similar per hour – you just pay in taxes.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Didn’t we already pay for this with taxes though?

b r

That works out more expensive per hour than any uk uplift I can think of.

Are you sure?

I’m hoping there’s coloured armbands and a big multicoloured clock thing up a tree, with klaxons and stuff.

😆

Is it a ride, similar to the grand national at Blackpool Pleasure beach? Jump on a bike on rails and race each other around…

It’s like “THE RAILS COME ALIVE”….

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

b r – Member

Are you sure?

Pretty sure- who am I missing?

Omar Little

On a vaguelly related point i notice the velodrome introduction sessions are being priced at £30 for an hour. Its £10 in Glasgow and Manchester!

And riders with accreditation and racing experience from Manchester, Newport and Glasgow have got to go through all the lessons again to ride in London (normally if you are qualified to ride one of these you are allowed on the others)…whereas those who have riden at Herne Hill can skip the first two lessons. That is going to be a recipe for mayhem!

Premier Icon iain1775
    Subscriber

Compared to the price of the woods behind NatWest in Swindon, less so.

Been looking for those woods for a while, are they anywhere near the ones behind the Nationwide?

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Captive audience for MTB – £6 or even £12 won’t get you very far in your car to go riding and will take you ages in traffic anyway.

For velodrome its supply and demand, I bet it’s sold out at £30 an hour given the size of the city and the amount of interest, plus London real estate costs are much higher than Machester and Glasgow so costs won’t be the same.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Why has it got to fund itself FFS…
    It gets folk off their rses, it gives what would be (I’m guessing), a peice of land in a shit part if London, a purpose…
    How much cash is thrown at arts every year…

The ckin money that Olympics cost this country, & we’re still ckin paying.
    Surely the legacy of 2012 should have been to put facilities like this cycling route into the community, for the benefit of everyone, not just those that can pay. Guess the ethos is the same with everything that was to do with 2012…charge as much as we possibly can, make as much money as we can.

The legacy of 2012 will be a fortunate few doing very nicely thank you, now Lord Fontlerroy & his Olympic dream have moved on.

if it was £1 all day I wouldn’t use it out of principle.

The Olympics were sold to the nation as the legacy games, they were supposed to encourage the nation to become fitter and healthier by promoting sport for all. Back when the government wanted everyone to get behind the scheme there was a lot of talk about reducing the obstacles to participation, two of which are opportunity and cost. With this facility the opportunity is only available to those that can afford to pay for it, you’re not going to get inner city kids going over there day after day building up their skills, getting fitter, getting faster and gradually falling in love with the sport of riding their bikes off road.

The original cost of the circuit should have been met by the regeneration budget and maintenance should be pretty minimal so i don’t see why the fee is so high other than profiteering. If facilities are provided then they need to be paid for, that is fair enough. if there are changing rooms then charge for them, if there’s a cafe then make it commercially viable, if there’s a surfaced car park then charge for parking, if you want to run a race you book the circuit. But ultimately someone that’s not doing any of those things should be able to roll up on their bike and ride the course at no cost any time of the day or night.

There are parks in every town and city that have football pitches on them, if you want to be sure of playing at 11am on a Sunday morning you book the pitch and pay a fee. Any time the pitch isn’t booked you’re more than welcome to turn up with 21 friends and play a full game on the marked out and maintained football pitch. That seems like quite a good example to follow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Stratford olympic park mtb trails £6/hour a bit expensive?’ is closed to new replies.