Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Strange phone call
  • Mr_C
    Free Member

I got a call on my landline at about 10pm. The caller claimed to be a Mr Johnson from Johnson Debt Recovery. He said that he was calling about a debt which had been passed to him. When I asked who the debt was with he said it was with Tesco for a treadmill and a “gentleman’s brassiere” WTF (at least I think that’s what he said he had a very strange diction).

He claimed to have written to me on several occasions, but I can categorically say I have had nothing from any debt agency. I owe nothing to anyone (excepting mortgage). I do have a Tesco credit card which is 17p in credit but have never purchased anything on it.

He then went on to tell me that collector’s would be round at 6am to collect goods to the value of £2400. When I said best of luck with that as they won’t be getting through the door he told me they were extremely large gentlemen. To me this is an implied threat. Oddly Throughout the conversation he kept quoting my address at me.

Should I be worried that someone will turn up in the morning? It seems a very odd debt recovery agency which would forewarn you of a visit especially at 10pm. Either way they won’t be getting over the threshold.

I’ve done a quick Google search and can’t find any mention of anyone with a similar experience and I’m certain it isn’t anyone I know – the accent sounded fairly local to me but the diction was very strange.

RealMan
    Free Member

Turn off all the lights, sit on a chair in the dark cuddling a pair of bombers. Be ready.

rs
    Free Member

How is your credit card 17p in credit?

Oxboy
    Free Member

What did the police say?

toys19
    Free Member

Cannot get in without court order. If they rock up call police instanto. Have camera charged and ready, when door goes answer from upstairs window, video everything. You could call polis now and maybe get them to call the no that called you?

yossarian
    Free Member

Call the police and tell them you will robustly defend your premises against any attempt to force access tomorrow morning. That should get them round.

And call your mates up, this sounds like a wind up. I remember getting a small skip delivered to my mates drive on Christmas eve one year, happy days.

andyl
    Free Member

Sounds like someone messing with you.

But just in case I would put the number of the local police on your mobile ready.

Mr_C
    Free Member

How is your credit card 17p in credit?

I used it for a 0% transfer type deal and let the standing order run a month too long. They refunded me and a month later due to me being in credit they paid me another 17p.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

phone the police non-emergency line to log the fact you have had the call

if large gentlemen turn up tomorrow call the police again (refer to your logged number) don’t let them in

Call Tesco’s headoffice in the morning and ask for their “security manager” or other similar title, relate your story, they won’t like their name being used

it’s almost certainly a scam based on the electoral roll/ telephone directory

MartynS

did they withhold there number?? 1471 it quick..!

As I understand it Debt collectors have no rights of entry, Bailiffs do. Bailiffs only act on CCJ’s for debt recovery.

If they call again tell them you deny the debt and it needs passing back to the originator and anymore attempts at contact will be considered harassment. Call the police. If anyone turns up, call the police.

It might be worth while shifting your car though unless its garaged, if they took it it would be theft, but it would be a bit of a ball ache untill it was recovered

Actually call the police anyway and report this..

donsimon
    Free Member

Apparently the water has to be warm in case folks get a chill when hit by cold water……………….

They said that they’re on their way to that London village for some fisties with the locals.

Mr_C
    Free Member

You could call polis now and maybe get them to call the no that called you?

Number was witheld.

And call your mates up, this sounds like a wind up.

I have no mates with a sense of humour like this.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Scam/wind up of some sort. Since when did Tesco do a line in “Gentlemen’s brasierres”??!!!

toys19
    Free Member

Polis can get a withheld no.

Mr_C
    Free Member

I know about the right of entry legalities – as I said they won’t be getting in.

‘My car’ actually belongs to Lex and my new one is coming next week so they are welcome to it.

grantway
    Free Member

did you not do 141 and get there number and then call the Police.

Mr_C
    Free Member

did you not do 141 and get there number and then call the Police.

I think you mean 1471 and see up there, the bit where it says number witheld.

I can’t see what crime has been committed here so calling the police seems a bit premature. I’m fairly sure it’s some sort of wind up, but by who and to what end I have no idea. Should said large gentlemen darken my door in the morning then a call will be made.

I have my Bombers* ready and have preloaded my daughter’s water gun as I don’t think I could hit their shoes from an upstairs window.

*I say Bombers – it’s actually a pair Marzocchi elastomer forks dating from about 1994 before they started using the name Bomber – will these do? Otherwise I’m going to have strip my bike down.

Cougar

Martyn is correct.

Could be a number of things.

There are companies who buy statute barred debts, which are debts which aren’t legally enforceable (due to age) unless you admit to their existence. In which case, the call is to scare you into admitting the debt so they can then legally pursue it.

Could be that they’re scammers, preying on the chance that some people will pay a small settlement ‘for an easy life’ to stop them sending the boys round.

Could be a crank, or a ‘friend’ who thinks he’s funny.

In all cases, the chances of someone turning up on your doorstep tomorrow are infinitesimally small. They’re trying to scare you into giving them money, it’s unlikely that they’re actually going to put any effort into it beyond front line phone calls and boilerplate snotty letters.

The line you need to take is to refuse to talk to them and insist they put it in writing, and then if they do write you need to reply denying the debt and demanding proof. If it gets to this stage I can help further.

Philby

The following advice from CAB’s website may be of use to you:

http://tinyurl.com/3kduyf3

totalshell

its a hoax.. Tesco could nt care less they write off all debt at a local level credit card debts for items are never followed through tesco bank are also light handed.. it aint for real sleep easy

Raindog
    Free Member

7.25am – is there a standoff going on or didn’t they turn up ?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

uplink
    Free Member

I can’t see what crime has been committed here so calling the police seems a bit premature.

demanding money with menaces?

Although I suspect the call did not originate from the UK

Anyway, it’s just a speculative call to try and get you to pay them something with a debit card

MartynS

I guess nothing happened….

straight to the police next time. Harassment and demanding money with menaces. Contact you phone provider as well. They will be able to trace and deal with/prosecute.

Reckon uplinks right, just some scammer working there way through a phone list

float
    Free Member

his computer got taken by the large men that actually DID come!

Mr_C
    Free Member

As I expected no one turned up, at least they hadn’t when I left at 7am.

I really don’t think the call was from overseas, I don’t think many foreigners can do a convincing East Midlands accent.

Oddly enough I noticed at the weekend that my name and number was in the new phone book which arrived last week, I’m sure it wasn’t in previously – coincidence?

If he calls again I’ll try and glean how much information he has – on last nights call he only referred to me as Mr C….. At no time did he use my Christian name, and as I only use my Sunday best name on very official documents (passport etc) and all my financial stuff is in my middle name (by which I am generally known) then I may get a clue as to where he got my details from.!

thegman67

g

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Strange phone call’ is closed to new replies.