Strange Mondeo Starting Problem

Home Forum Chat Forum Strange Mondeo Starting Problem

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Strange Mondeo Starting Problem
  • Premier Icon benji
    Subscriber

Try it just pressing the clutch.

The other thing I would look at is live data is it seeing the engine speed, have seen crank sensors go down on mondeos leaving no fault codes.

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

Clutch/dmf weirdness – but I am stabbing in the dark without knowing the answer.

Just wondering if it’s possible that something in the drive train is not disengaging right and creating some mechanical load

Premier Icon benji
    Subscriber

Spill off test on injectors is another avenue, one with it’s leak off wide open will leave you with a car not starting till several spin overs, new battery looks like it cures it as it spins the starter slightly quicker than the old battery, thus building fuel pressure quicker.

eskay

benji – Member

Try it just pressing the clutch.

The other thing I would look at is live data is it seeing the engine speed, have seen crank sensors go down on mondeos leaving no fault codes.

I am picking up a new crank sensor tomorrow.

eskay

I have a 2009 1.8 diesel estate which has started having problems starting(!).

Several weeks ago the car would not start but after about 8 attempts it did.

It would crank over, fire then sound like a bag of nails for a couple of seconds and then stop.

After that it ran OK for a couple of weeks and when we were on holiday two weeks ago it did it again. This time it would not start at all, I called out the AA, they were there for an hour totally stumped but it eventually started.

No fault codes on their machine but they suggested driving it to a Ford garage to get it checked out on a Ford diagnostic machine. Luckily they managed to fit me in but they could find any faults either, the datalogger did not show any abnormal fuel pressures. They mentioned that there may be a problem with the battery (which did not surprise me as the AA had been cranking it for about an hour) so they fitted a new battery.

The car seemed to be OK after that until tonight..!

It took about 10 minutes to start whilst out, got the car back home and turned it off and then it would not start again. I put my cheap diagnostic thing on and there were no faults. I had a quick scan of the engine for anything obvious but all seemed OK.

I wondered if it was an immobiliser thing so tried the spare key – no joy.

I disconnected the battery for one minute and that made no difference.

I then sat in the car and pressed the clutch and brake pedal at the same time and then tried to start the car and to my amazement it started. I turned it off and tried to start it without pressing anything and I got the same bag of nails and instant stop.

I retried pressing the two pedals and it started!!

Any ideas on what may be going on? Is pressing the pedals possibly moving a loom that has an intermittent connection??

Any suggestions most welcome!

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

As the DMF disintegrates, it fills the starter motor with crap.

This usually ends up in a replacing the starter motor a little bit before the DMF. The starter may just need cleaning out though but you will be looking for a clutch and DMF shortly

I think.

eskay

Thanks for the comments. I think the brake and clutch pedal last night was a coincidence. I tried it again this morning and it would not start. After a few more attempts I got it started and then it seemed to start consistently by just pressing the clutch.

I have had a scan around on the internet and a couple of other people have had similar problems.

Some seem to suggest a failing DMF and one other had worn camshaft thrust washers (same engine as mine). The effect was the same for both faults, the car would fire and then die immediately due to the high mechanical load.

Expensive visit to the garage coming up I think!

eskay

Thought I would update this thread in case anyone else has a similar problem.

As the DMF disintegrates, it fills the starter motor with crap.

This usually ends up in a replacing the starter motor a little bit before the DMF. The starter may just need cleaning out though but you will be looking for a clutch and DMF shortly

I think.

I took it to a local independent Ford garage and they seemed to think it was the DMF.

They replaced the clutch and DMF and it all seems to be OK. He said there was a lot of lateral play in the DMF that may have been causing the problem.

He showed me the old clutch and it was on its last legs so it would have needed doing soon anyway.

eskay: any ballpark figure for what you paid incl labour for both replacements? And what brand dmf did you get?

lastly what sort of mileage is yours at?

eskay

Not sure what make was fitted.

I struck lucky, the mechanic did it on the side (cash) as his boss was away. He charged me £820 for the clutch, DMF and a service.

I have a 2009 1.8 DTI which has done 98,000 miles.

He originally advised me to fit a solid flywheel conversion kit (which made sense to me) and that is what we proceeded with. It transpired that his supplier sent him the wrong part (they thought I had a 6 speed not a 5 speed box). Unfortunately I had to go back to a DMF (as a 5 speed conversion is not available for that engine) which he had to refit free of charge.

Thanks eskay: my quotes were similar – well, -ish, for “Sachs” stuff- at my trusted garage.

Also – having borrowed an A4 with a solid flywheel fitted – I’d never fit one to my own car.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Strange Mondeo Starting Problem’ is closed to new replies.