Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Strange etching on Hope Hubs
  • nicholas_yiu

I was planning to build another set of wheels for my gravel bike so that I can put road tyres on them for commuting without having to set them up tubeless every time I swap.

The original plan is to take the old pro 2 evo from my 26″ hardtail as I hardly use it anymore, then I saw a nice set of 40T pro2 evo on ebay on auction with best offer. I put in quite a low offer thinking it will never get accepted. It was accepted after a day and I have them now.

The hubs have some strange etching on them, they weren’t shown on the pictures in the listing. I try googling but my google-fu obviously isn’t good enough:

logo

other side

I am just curious but in the back of my mind, I can’t help to wonder if they are of questionable origin. I really want to keep them but will return them if they are dodgy.

snaps
    Free Member

That’s the Santa Cruz logo that Hope put on their hubs for SC bikes

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Santa Cruz logo.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Taken from a Santa Cruz.

Bit naughty to not show that in the ebay ad but still genuine Hope hubs.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

No need to worry.

Those hubs are from a Santa Cruz full build.

andrewh
    Free Member

It’s a logo for something but I forget what, looks familiar though…
    I dont think they are dodgy, if they aren’t real Hope hubs they are a very, very good copy!

andrewh
    Free Member

Beaten to it, that’s the SC logo!

nicholas_yiu

Thanks for that, I know you are good, I did try googling bike brand logos but didn’t see that.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

As above. Real hibs, just oe on a santa cruz

scotroutes

I had a set just like that!

austen

I have a set just like that!

P20

If you’re using them for gravel, make sure your cassette fits. If it’s 11spd road, you might need a different cassette or freehub.

11 speed road block on MTB hope pro 2 evo?

Poopscoop

A bloody snidey move by the seller but as long as the hubs are in good nick it doesn’t matter in reality.

tthew

Oof, that logo orientation different on each hub would send me west!

squirrelking
    Free Member

A bloody snidey move by the seller

How so? Are they not Pro2 hubs? Are they a different spec?

Onzadog
    Free Member

If I was selling them, I’d have included pics of all marking as they would likely be of interest to any buyer.

I get the impression the seller thought people wouldn’t know what they were are the post from the OP confirms it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’re using them for gravel, make sure your cassette fits. If it’s 11spd road, you might need a different cassette or freehub.

Those ones are fine, it’s the earlier pro2 evo that had a 10s only freehub.

I’d be irked if the seller had clearly tried to hide the SC logo.

Fine if they were cheap or for a santa Cruz. But for the same money I’d rather just have the plain ones 🤷‍♂️

swanny853

Oof, that logo orientation different on each hub would send me west!

I have a set like that. Not noticed it in all the years I’ve had them, now it’s going to drive me mad.

I hope you’re happy.

nicholas_yiu

Just looked at the pictures again and the seller really did try to hide the SC logo. I thought they would be a selling point as I would have paid extra to have them if I have a SC bike.

I don’t mind though, I am just happy I’m going to have a bargain set of road wheels for the gravel bike.

The hubs are in pretty good cosmetic condition, front are perfect but the bearings felt rough on the rear. I thought I would get away with flushing them out and put in fresh grease but the outer bearing on the freehub disintegrated while I was just checking them. I am surprised I managed to get the outer race out without marking the freehub, one of the pawl springs was also damaged. Kind of expected this though as there was no description on the eBay listing. A new set of bearings / pawl springs are on order, just love how easy Hope hubs are to work with:

rear

Everything other than the bearings have turned up now, didn’t expect them to come this quickly. The temptation is to build them through the night, but I will do the sensible thing this time and do a little bit every night over couple of weeks.

parts

Poopscoop

squirrelking
    Free Member

A bloody snidey move by the seller

This thread in itself illustrates why in all honesty. Just as I would show a pic of a scape on the hub even though it does not effect its use I would completely expect people to want to know it’s there before buying/bidding.

I’m pretty sure most most buyers would rather more info rather than less about anything they might purchase so they can make up their own minds as to whether it’s an issue for them or not.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Looks like you got a bargain.

Limited edition hubs.

Some folk do like a good moan about nothing.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Strange etching on Hope Hubs’ is closed to new replies.