Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Straitline Components cease manufacturing.
  • tomhoward

Just been told about this.

https://www.straitlinecomponents.com/

After 17 years in business, we are sad to announce that we will no longer be manufacturing our mountainbike component line, Straitline Components. It was an extremely difficult decision for us to make, but after constant struggles with supply chain issues, staffing shortages, and rising costs, we feel we were left with no other choice. We want to thank all our customers, riders, dealers, and distributors that supported us over the last 17 years. We will continue to support and sell products that we currently have in stock, but will not be manufacturing anymore products. Thank you from all of us at Straitline Components.

Sucks, hopefully this isn’t the start of things to come, but fear it might be.

scruff
    Free Member

Shame, had a few bits of theirs, very high quality.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sad when a long-stranding business comes to an end.

But does this clear the way for Sunline to make a comeback now they won’t get confused with Straitline anymore? I really used to like their handlebars.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sucks, I’ve still got a silentguide in a spares box somewhere.

hatter

That’s a real shame, they made some high quality stuff there.

Hope everyone involved finds new employment soon.

honourablegeorge

My shins are breathing a sigh of relief, knowing there are no more of those pedals out there.

Sad to see them go though, those original pedals were one of my first big blingy purchases. And I had their fancy upgrade brake levers on my Avid Juicys too – now there’s a case of throwing good money after bad.

They seemed to be dwindling for a long time though, hadn’t seen a new product from them since those lighter pedals they came out with.

honourablegeorge

chakaping

But does this clear the way for Sunline to make a comeback now they won’t get confused with Straitline anymore? I really used to like their handlebars.

Yeah, they were good, the gunmetal colour ones. Sunline were an offshot of 661, weren’t they? Both these brands are tied to Chain Reaction in my head, everyone suddenly had their stuff when CRC had them on special offer, and then finally went out of stock on CRC and they vanished/

bikesandboats
    Free Member

Sad to hear it, really like my Defacto pedals.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Chuckling at the Sunline/ Straitline comments. Had components from both a good few years back, both very good quality.

As above, sad to hear when good quality manufacturers can no longer stay afloat.

Speeder

had no idea they were still going. nice stuff, I’m sure I’ve had something of theirs but can’t remember what. Shame but they’ve been all but invisible in the Uk so no real surprise I guess.

Sounds like the MTB business might have been a sideline reading the press release so hope they’re staying in employment doing other engineering stuff (that probably pays better)

Stevet1
    Free Member

Straitline Components were top notch, my dirt jump bike still has their stem, chainring and defacto pedals fitted.

chakaping
    Free Member

the gunmetal colour ones. Sunline were an offshot of 661, weren’t they?

Yes and IDK, but it sounds feasible.

I thought I’d pick up some of those silvery bars secondhand recently and was surprised to find they all seemed to only be about 710mm wide.

I would have said 760mm-ish, but it must have been longer ago than I thought.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

My Sunline V1 747s were my first proper foray into wide bars, were a perfect match for my old gunmetal Orange 5 (circa 2010). Always wanted another pair.

Had a Straitline stem and pedals also. Think Straitline stuff was slightly more expensive than Sunline but always seemed very good quality, comparable to Chromag stuff of similar ilk.

benpinnick

the gunmetal colour ones. Sunline were an offshot of 661, weren’t they?

Almost. Both were brands of One Industries. Sunline (along with TAG Metals) were sold to USG (Royal/7idp) in 2016.

honourablegeorge

chakaping

I would have said 760mm-ish, but it must have been longer ago than I thought.

762 – they came with a big “762” logo on them. My mate persisted with the flat ones for ages despite them being awful

CalamityJames

My Sunline V1 747s

That rings a bell too, was it that the risers were 747 and flats were 762?

chakaping
    Free Member

I think they came in a variety of sizes, now I’ve seen those.

I had the flat bar on my Patriot, among other bikes. Before bikes got longer, flat bars seemed useful for improving my position on the bike.

Northwind

I had those 762s, at a time when that was crazy wide, I remember the first ride out because I clipped a tree with the bar and crashed.

honourablegeorge

1 left in stock.

Must be annoying for Straitline that we’re all here discussing their namesake instead.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.