Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Straight-steerer 26” forks, what’s left?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m trying to keep a 2008 hardtail in service on beer-money budget. Least-ridden bike but upgrading it, fixing it up slowly as I really do love riding it when opportunities arise. It currently has some tired 130mm Toras on it that although aren’t too bad they are basic and hefty. The flipside is that they are pretty stiff fore and aft, though QR lets them down when cornering hard or powering on climbs etc.

So…for old 26ers, what is out there? Are these (link below) Sektors any good long-term for general all-day from the door mucking about with lockout for road transfers? Parts readily available for servicing etc?

Reason I ask is I have a used pair I haven’t fitted yet (needs Maxel-QR adaptor) but they will need a service, so wondered if worth keeping or sell on and save for some used Revs? Don’t know when will be able to buy any new forks but by that time I wonder if there will be any decent options available?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rockshox-sektor-gold-rl-26-dual-position-coil-150-830984?currency=3&delivery_country=190

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m gonna be selling some RockShox SID World Cups soon. I think they are 100mm tho…

caledonia
    Free Member

I’ve just done the same – wanted to upgrade my Inbred with a bit more travel, but keep it light enough for XC duties.
    I was looking for weeks and couldn’t find anything reasonably priced and well looked after.
    I eventually bought a donor bike, happened to be a Cotic Soul!!.
    It was easier to judge how well the forks had been looked after etc, and judge the value based on the other specs on the bike. (XT shifting, Hope Hubbed XC wheels and some Fox 120mm forks all now await a transplant)

I’ll swap all my replaced parts on to the frame, stick a spare set of Coil Recon’s on it and it should suit my son – Or able to resell and recoup some of the outlay.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Most folk just run a 27.5 fork there is very little in it

Suntour make some decent ones in straight Steerer iirc so do manitou

brownsauce
    Free Member

you must really love that old bike to be contemplating spending £350 just on replacement forks – hardly beer money !

i’d be looking at 2nd hand to be honest , it will be better value with a bigger choice as theres very little around for 26″ brand new.

BearBack
    Free Member

@shermer75 Id be interested in details on the SIDs if the op’s not.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I managed to snag a set of Sektor Rl Golds “used” (missing adjustor) for £180. As far as I can tell the MoCo from my Revs is compatible if I wanted to swap out the existing unit.

There are a few sets of NOS Marzocchi 44s on ebay for silly money but in your budget. On the other hand Rev 426s and even Recon 327s go for buttons and provided the bushes are good will be fine, if you want more gizmos you have a good platform to swap them into from a shagged set. I used to be about old Marzocchis but to be honest the sensible money would be in mid 00s Rockshox as Marzos are just asking for silly money and a lot of ropey features prone to breaking in later models.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

you must really love that old bike to be contemplating spending £350 just on replacement forks –

Sorry, maybe wasn’t clear – I bought some used ones, cost 3 pints and a bag of scratchings! But know nothing about Sektors, and whether it’s worth fixing them up/if they are a decent upgrade from the Toras. I was surprised to see the straight steerer 26ers still for sale at bike-discount so wondering if these would be a little more future-proof.

Not in the market for any new forks but could possibly sell the Sektors and Toras and buy some used Revs. If that makes sense. Or worth keeping the Sektors?

brownsauce
    Free Member

Ah ok , well those sectors will be a noticable improvement on the 12 year toras you have now.

i have a recon coil and theyre very smooth.

if you got them cheap enough then its probably worth sending them away for a service if they are not performing as they should.

and having 2 travel settings is quite a handy feature

tjagain

anyone want a set of old blue pikes? PM me. Much cheapness

trumpton
    Free Member

there were some manitous on a carbon chinese thread. think they were 100mm though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Straight-steerer 26” forks, what’s left?’ is closed to new replies.