• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by soops.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stovetrackworld – which small woodburner for standard 22" x 16" fireplace?
  • MrBlond
    Free Member

…with minimum modification to the fireplace itself as it’s stone and we want to leave it in place.

Looking at the Salamander Hobbit, anything else we should consider?

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you’re looking at an inset stove, the Clearview vision inset is very good and fits a standard 16″ fireplace. Got ours on eBay and cleaned/re sprayed and new seals and it looks like new.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Not inset, should have mentioned 😉

nbt

Don’t go for a multi-fuel for such a small burner – we did and rarely use coal, shouldn’t have bothered.

globalti
    Free Member

Do go for a multi-fuel. You can start with smokeless and build up a good bed of embers, on which to burn your logs. Logs alone don’t burn too well, especially big ones.

jam-bo

we have a yeoman CL3 which would be a tight fit. good stove.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Yeah, I was thinking multi fuel, any other suggestions?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Dunsley Highlander 3, but I haven’t looked at its size…

http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/highlander3multifuelstove.html

MadBillMcMad

clearview stoves all the way for me – well worth the extra expense

MrBlond
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like Clearview do anything small enough

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

We’ve got a Dean Forge Croft. It’s excellent. Wood or multifuel, can be changed over (easy-ish job – remove multifuel grate, plug a hole with fire cement). Does the swirly secondary burn thing on logs very well.

Dartmoor 5 is small, should fit a standard opening.

pdf wotsit

Previously, we’ve had a Villager Puffin in that size opening but I wouldn’t recommend it TBH (overpriced and really a coal only stove).

twinw4ll
    Free Member

You have two choices, inset or knockout the fireplace, a freestanding stove in an opening that size would not conform to regs and in my opinion would be dangerous.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

could always stick it out in the room forward of the opening to give clearance?

MrBlond
    Free Member

Interesting – twinw4ll can you direct me to these regs?

MrBlond
    Free Member

Hmmm.

Regs seem to suggest no minimum clearance as the fireplace is stone (Diagram 26 Page 38), or am I missing something?

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADJ_2010.pdf

nbt

Woodburner by Mrs NBT, on Flickr

That our Stovax Stockton 4 in the opening left by a “normal” open grate fire, fitted by an approved installer and resulting in a certificate and so on.

To elaborate on the multifuel thing – if you’re only lighting the fire for the evening, we find that wood is enough. We have tried various types of solid fuel but there isn’t the critical mass in the fire to keep it burning overnight (I grew up with a coal fire so am quite used to keeping a fire in all week) without ripping through vast quantities of coal. A bigger fire would be better but at 4kW, I would go for a simple woodburner next time

rockhopper70

I have a Firefox 5, the cleanburn version.
    It’s very nice and works well with either coal or wood.
    I like having the option to burn either fuel as in winter, I tend to keep it ticking over with coal. The rest of the year, burn a log or two if it gets chilly, for the cosy effect, apparently.

bedmaker

If it’s to shoehorn in like this, don’t! This one was a real danger, as well as putting out very little heat.
    [/url]
    Stove fitted by a bad, bad man by [/img]

As twinwall says, go inset or dig out the fireback. An inset fitted right works really well.

Aarrow I400 works well if you want to keep the existing surround with minimum fuss.
    [/url]
    [/img]

And I don’t know why my pics have been flipped! They’re the right way up on flickr 😕

ratherbeintobago

We’ve got a Town and Country Rosedale inset (as recommended by Fireglow in Bolton who fitted it) which is excellent.

soops
    Free Member

Charnwood C4 is a cracking little stove.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stovetrackworld – which small woodburner for standard 22" x 16" fireplace?’ is closed to new replies.