Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Stovetop espresso machines
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I think I need one of these in my life.

Is the Bialetti Brikka (2 cup) worth almost double what the Mokka (I think) costs?

It’s meant to give a proper crema. A lot more outlay though!

montylikesbeer

Stove tops are ok but can give a “scorched” taste if your not careful.

They are used a lot in Italy though.

Make sure your beans are fresh ground as well.

tails
    Free Member

When ever i have stayed at friends inItaly they have had bialetti moka, but the brikka could well be better. give it a go def can’t be worse.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I like stove tops – there will be little if anything to choose between the two re performance, the mokka just has a higher quality feel/look about it. Splash out and get it as it will look swish on view in the kitchen.

BFITH
    Free Member

Ive had my Moka Express for about 10 years now (It was my fathers before that and my grandmas before that!!). They last forever (only ever put a new seal on which was dead cheap)and make a good cup of coffee….don’t have the heat on too high, though, just enough to boil…

BF

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Shhh, you’ll wake Molgrips.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I use one every morning before work. Fill it with coffe and water put on a low heat on the cooker and have a quick shower. By the time I get it it is not far off ready. The stuff comes out like tar and strong enough to give me the sweats. I have a three cup cheapo from TK max and does the job just fine.

nickc

High pressure is supposed to be the difference in cost. My IKEA one produces a crema* for a £10.00. scorched coffee taste is probably your beans, it’s almost impossible to get it wrong with a stove top TBH**

*is not the be all and end all of coffee…

**Grips excluded obviously

elliptic
    Free Member

The Moka will be fine.

Nifty little things, they work great on a camping gas stove. I often throw mine in the car even just on day trips for a pre-ride breakfast coffee – surf trips as well.

aP
    Free Member

Stove tops are good and easy to use, just don’t lend it to someone who manages to melt the aluminium base and then complain that it doesn’t work very well when they hand it back.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

aP – Aluminium : Melting Point: 660.37 °C

😯

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Surf trip + stove top coffee machine = sounds like heaven!

saleem
    Free Member

We’ve 3 that are never used so if you want I’ll sell you the lot, 1 large Verna, 1 2 cup Bialetti and a 2 cup no make, make me a decent offer and you can have the lot and make up your own mind.

aP
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero – Member
    aP – Aluminium : Melting Point: 660.37 °C

Impressive, isn’t it? There’s lots of little drips like condensation inside an uninsulated van in the moring but in aluminium on the bottom of the water container part…

molgrips
    Free Member

Hehe.. BURN HIM!

(ps I agree, no-one else on here does for some reason)

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I have a three cup cheapo from TK max and does the job just fine

Mine did but has managed to explode twice. It’s gone to the recycling now.

Can anyone suggest a link to a cheap, reliable, 2-cup pot?

nickc

Normal Bialetti ones are about £20 for a 3 cup* up to about £25 for a 6 cups (about two normal sized cups)

*they mean little coffee cans

jp-t853

I used to get mixed results with these. I like a normal cup of coffee with milk and I used to make all the coffee in the stove top.

Someone then told me that the stove top is just to make an espresso and if you want a full cup you should add fresh boiling water to an espresso of coffee and then add the milk.

The coffee is spot on every time now. Is everyone doing this?? or have I been told a lie that works for me?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I swear by my Bialetti, but I basically mix a two cup one with a mug full of hot milk to get my coffee.

elliptic
    Free Member

Someone then told me that the stove top is just to make an espresso

Yes.

and if you want a full cup you should add fresh boiling water to an espresso of coffee and then add the milk.

And again, yes.

By the way, until the milk goes in what you have there is technically an Americano. To quote Wikipedia:- The name derives its origins from WW2 when American GIs in Europe would pour hot water into espresso to approximate the coffee to which they were accustomed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Someone then told me that the stove top is just to make an espresso

Yep. That’s why they call them stovetop espresso machines.

Although there are other stovetop devices that brew normal coffee.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well I got the standard 3 cup Mokka and I’m loving it!

jacksta
    Free Member

grind will have a lot to do with the result…you dont want the water taking ages or not long enough to get through the coffee.

+1 for preferring it toppped up with boiling water.

rkk01
    Free Member

The Mokka is a brilliant piece of functional, minimalist design. Cheap, robust, simple.

Part of the rkk01 family essential camping kit

convert

In defence of Mr Grips I have turned down the heat using my moka pot for the last few brews after reading “that” thread with good results. I was previously guilty of wacking it on a high heat, going off to do something else and only returning to it when I heard it making its distinctive gurgling noise – and it often tasted quite burnt. I now use more gentle heat and once it starts to come through I turn off the heat (on a leccy hob, so there is still residual heat there) so the coffee comes through far more gently. It certainly made it taste much better for me. Nothing else has changed – same coffee – lavazza oro.

Quite interested in that brikka version now – the only thing I’ve missed from my moka pot is the crema – It would be interesting to see if the brikka design actually works and is worth the extra cash.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But it is the gurgle that is the problem – not how high the gas was on! Once it is gurgling almost all of the water has gone so just very hot air/steam is getting through and causing the ‘burn’.

Try it again on a high heat but switch the gas off before the death-gurgle and I will bet it won’t taste burnt.

jimmy

Stove tops are ace for taking camping and brew up in no time atop a pocket rocket. Ace stuff.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Stovetop espresso machines’ is closed to new replies.