Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • stovetop coffee thingy for induction hob
  • lovewookie

We have a small stovetop whatsit for coffee, but it’s quite temperamental on our induction hob. it doens’t register as having something on even the smaller of the rings, so can be a fiddle moving it about until it turns the induction on.

not wanting to buy a massive one, and not wanting to blow £150 on a flashy thing, just something that works. Guess the one we have has a base of about 10cm.
    Suppose I could get one of those induction hob plates, but I’m a bit nervous about heating up a separate lump of metal with two dispracsics in the house.

anything recommended with a wide base? the j-lo or beyonce of stovetop coffee makers..

willard

I use one that I got from Ikea. It works. No idea if they still make it, but there should be a few floating around second hand.

It’s basically a copy of this Bialetti: https://www.orfeoshop.com/eshop/2138/bialetti-venus-for-2-cups.html

Cougar

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sboardman

A bargain at £47.99 plus £70 delivery!

jonnyboi

https://www.ozaroo.com/bialetti-venus-induction-suitable-stovetop-coffee-maker-steel-espresso-10-cup/

Induction suitable Bialetti.

Just bear in mind that you always need a bigger bialetti than you think

andywill
    squirrelking
    Free Member

Honestly, I’d go for a Pezzetti, I’ve got a 3 pot from both them and Bialetti and the Pezzetti is far superior. The Bialetti seems to be growing gunk from day 1 whilst the Pezzetti looks like new inside.

https://www.shopcoffee.co.uk/product/brewing-equipment/moka-pot/pezzetti-steelexpress-moka-pot-2-cup/

soundninjauk

Whoever wrote that Amazon listing was really phoning it in.

• The first Moka for use also on induction hobs
    • Suitable for all hobs except induction hobs
    • Suitable for all types of cookers – also induction
    mattyfez

I can’t help but think you’re over-engineering this.

Grinder.

Cafetiere.

Sorted.

lovewookie

I drink instant, as it’s just coffee and although some of the speciality coffees are nice, if I want to drink something I’ll appreciate with depth and flavour I’ll have an ale.

however, my daughter is a coffee person, when she’s not mixing cocktails.

nickc

I had that induction Bialetti and the handle fell off!

turns out it was very feebly held on. Either that or my brutal strength ripped it apart with the ease of tearing paper…

kelvin

Get a standard full stainless steel Bialetti. Do not get one of those “induction” ones with an aluminium collector. In fact, induction or not, avoid any alu Bialetti, unless it is for camping and you don’t expect it to last. The full stainless ones last and keep looking and working great… no suspicious furring.

EDIT: jonnyboi has given you the right pointer already… follow his lead

Cougar

Honestly, I’d go for a Pezzetti, I’ve got a 3 pot from both them and Bialetti and the Pezzetti is far superior.

TBF, that’s a lovely looking thing. Nice shout.

Grinder.

Cafetiere.

Is this the woke 21st Century version of the Gold Blend advert?

toby1

The Bialetti seems to be growing gunk from day 1 whilst the Pezzetti looks like new inside.

That’s just ‘flavour’ build up surely. Says someone who never got a decent coffee out of a bialetti!

poolman
    Free Member

I got my bialetti from aldi or lidl, they come up on their aisle of dreams now and again. About a tenner I think, it’s the 6 cupper I just half fill it with water, max coffee grounds so a top coffee.

kelvin

That’s just ‘flavour’ build up surely.

No. It’s nasties. Buy steel.

giant_scum
    Free Member

I bought a couple of these https://www.aldi.co.uk/premium-stovetop-espresso-maker/p/703483367046000 when they were on special in Aldi!
    Sadly not availble currently but at a tenner each I’ll be keeping an eye out for them coming in again.

kelvin

Bargain.

DavidB
    Free Member

I have been using a Bonvivo Intenca for years for exactly the reason you describe. It has a nice big base but just the right size fir a mug full. Seems to have gone up in price as I’m sure I only paid £30 for it

st

Stainless Bialetti here, works fine and as stated above doesn’t oxidise inside like the ally ones do.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

We changed from electric to induction recently so had to buy a new moka pot. I asked for one for Christmas and ended up getting 2 so I’ve got one spare. I’ll happily sell you it at a nice cheap price as it is just sitting doing nothing in the cupboard now. It looks the same as that Piazetti one. The only thing is it is a chonky boi, it is a 10 cupper! Yes, we drink too much coffee 😉

Where in the country are you?

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have mokas and cafetieres, different beasts for different things. I’d never put Italian espresso through the cafetiere as it just tastes rank but is lovely out the moka.

In fact, induction or not, avoid any alu Bialetti, unless it is for camping and you don’t expect it to last. The full stainless ones last and keep looking and working great… no suspicious furring.

Thank god its not just me!

TBF, that’s a lovely looking thing. Nice shout.

It is, it’s beautiful. It’s also not the one I have, mine is a god awful baby shit brown colour. For some reason Sainsburys were selling them for three quid a pop, can’t imagine why. (but still better than the Bialetti)

tall_martin

I have the 6 cup bialetti linked above.

Coffee is fine. Still looks new ish. No build up of anything. I never get any crema.

lovewookie

I like the look of this:

but, it’s £90 if it actually gets made and delivered….:-/

rickmeister

+1 for the stainless Bialetti linked above. Works well and isn’t falling apart.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

That’s the beauty of the flexizone type hob that they all do now, it fits any size. Mine is half and half and the rings dont recognise anything less than about 13cm diameter ie milk pan, so you might struggle to find one that doesn’t play up.

I might be wrong tho, they’re all different

sgn23
    Free Member

+1 for a cafetiere.
    I’ve taste tested various supermarket ground coffees in a cafetiere and an aluminium Moka and decided I prefer all in the cafetiere. Though reading this thread has made me wonder if I need to repeat my experiment with a steel Moka!

poolman
    Free Member

Just a heads up that when the bialetti is gurgling, ie, almost ready, if you lift the lid and let it fall on its own accord, you get almost perfect steam rings formed out the spout. They smell lovely too.

snotrag

You can get a Bialetti with its own heating element n the bottom and a plug on it.

However as above I find a Cafetiere makes better coffee overall.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘stovetop coffee thingy for induction hob’ is closed to new replies.