Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Stove sweeping paranoia
  • Olly
    Free Member

Ive been meaning to get the chimmney sweep out for the past year. Weve had the stove three years now. We only use it in the colder months obviously, but it has never been swept. Anyhoo, i could just never get around to organising the sweep, so decided to get some brushes and do it myself (somehow that was easier, possibly the prospect of buying kit, who doesnt like kit?)

Anyhoo, Im pretty sure we have a rain guard and bird net on the top of the chimmney, so carefully tried the 8m of rods up the chimmney without the brush first to make sure that they didnt poke out the top. I reckon they must be pretty much at the top, certainly within a meter! they didnt poke out the top of the chimmney though!

I swept the chimmney this afternoon, made a bit of a mess (it was hard work! but got easier after the first go) and got plenty of creososte “sand” out of the flue. Interestingly the brush would only go up 1m lower than the rods without the brush. perhaps the flue narrows at the top.

Anyhoo, is that it? shove the brushes up, pull them down again, (repeat three times)

Im paranoid now!

timbur
    Free Member

Did you remove the chicken after you finished?

teasel
    Free Member

Anyhoo

If I read that one more time I would’ve tracked you down and shoved the full 8 metres up your jacksie…!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

If a lot of material came down you do need to sweep right to the top.

bedmaker

Perhaps the brushes won’t go to the top because it looks like this? That’s a 9″ liner, the fire was getting “a wee bit smoky” 😆
    Pic taken immediately after the ‘sweep’ had left.

[/url]
    [/img]

Powersweeping with chains FTW!

Can you get up there and take a look in the top?

TheDTs
    Free Member

Is there a liner? Did mine, which has a liner and got very little out, I mean not enough to fill a dustpan. After not doing it for two years. I do burn the stove quite hot with good wood though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stove sweeping paranoia’ is closed to new replies.