Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stove hearth flush regs?
  • BigEls
    Free Member

Putting in a hearth which I want to be flush level with existing floor height. There is an existing solid concrete construction hearth under the floor.
    Can I make the hearth flush with floor level and pass building regs or HEATAS regs?
    Answers I have looked up are conflicting?

tjagain

My understanding is not – but I did anyway and when I come to sell I will just say it was an existing one.

jam-bo

I have no hearth. The limestone floor extends into the chimney recess and under the woodburner. It’s signed of by a HETAS accredited company.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slackalice
    Free Member

It used to be a distance from the stove minimum of 300mm of non-combustible material, I don’t remember there being any conditions as to whether this non-combustible surface (ie hearth) be flush or raised. It’s been a few years since I last fitted stoves.

If it were in my home, I’d just ensure I had that 300mm before the carpet or wood floor.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Mine is a 20mm slate tile hearth practically flush with an engineered oak floor. The way I understood it, as long as it was 12mm thick none combustible, extended 300mm from front of burner and was clearly defined, you’re in.

granny_ring

From memory when I did ours a few years ago I thought the hearth had to be a certain height above floor level, 25-30mm maybe…?

gobuchul
    Free Member

It can be flush.

Regs guidance

The full document J can be downloaded here. Document J

Page 38 Para 2.26 – Indicates that a change of level is a way of indicating the boundary of the hearth but doesn’t actually stipulate that it must be done.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yeah, can be flush.
    Some people just have a large piece of glass sat on the carpet!
    300mm minimum from the opening of the stove (not necessarily the front if the stove) to the edge of the hearth though.

bedmaker

Yes, it can be flush, but they like some sort of mark to create a sort of boundary.
    Could be different coloured tiles, a strip set into the floor, that sort of thing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stove hearth flush regs?’ is closed to new replies.