Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Stove fuel question for the chemists/firebugs
  • jameso

Searching for stove fuel yesterday, could only find some naptha.. wow that goes up ) not good for a pop-can stove I know but had to try it. Found some meths today, but before I chuck the naptha I wondered if a bit of it would spice up the meths, ie more burn for the volume without the risk of lighting pure naptha?

Sense says I should ask before trying this one.

d45yth
    Free Member

Have you asked this over on the Bear Bones forum…s8tannorm could be the man to ask, he likes to play with fire! 😀

jonba
    Free Member

Not sure what mixing it would do. Naptha is normally a distillation of oil. I looked up the fraction. Light Naptha is 5-6 carbons so pretty close to white spirits and petrol. Heavy naptha is 6-15 so a bit less than kerosene IIRC.

Methanol is an alcohol. so completely different chemically.

I’m not sure what would happen if you mixed them, are they even miscible? Personally I wouldn’t as petrol (which is about 5-6 carbons) is not suitable for that type of stoves, it tends to explode rather than burn in a controlled manor. It all depends on the relative evaporation rates of the solvents and then that get’s really complicated.

If you were of an enquiring mind you could try mixing and see what happens. Start with low percentages and small volumes outside to see if you get an improvement. I doubt you would though.

Water is supposed to be beneficial to meths burners. Something like 5% addition.

d45yth
    Free Member

Water is supposed to be beneficial to meths burners. Something like 5% addition.

That’s only to make it burn less sooty so your pots don’t get as dirty.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve no idea of the answer to your question, but it’s true that Naptha is much closer to petrol. My Dad used to have a source (it was used for cleaning printing ink off presses) and would regularly mix it into the petrol tank in our Morris Traveller.

jameso

You’re not wrong it’s closer to petrol.. Water didn’t tone it down in the way it does with meths.

Thank all. Will stick to meths, maybe try the mix after the ride if I get bored / drunk later in the week. Will post the results if so and free of burns.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stove fuel question for the chemists/firebugs’ is closed to new replies.