Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 325 total)
  • Stormy near Keswick…..
  • breadcrumb

For updates/photos I’d recommend following Cumbria Crack on Twitter, I think they have a Facebook page too.

We came close to flooding on Thursday, and we’re halfway up a hill.

Stay safe folks.

Edit:Take a look at Cumbria Crack (@CumbriaCrack): https://twitter.com/CumbriaCrack?s=09

Junkyard
    Free Member

This amount of flooding/rainfall is not that unusual

Record flood levels all across the lakes

Its really not usual levels of rainfall /flooding in these areas

Its is record braking levels of floods all across the lakes but hey we have you in the South to let us know…..thanks.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Some abolutely mental photos on here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1008905845834544&set=gm.10153944883623072&type=3

Some of them beggar belief though!

jonba
    Free Member

When people talk about 1 in a hundred year events it does not mean that it is unusual to get 2 back to back if they occur randomly.

binners

Where do you live again Jammers?

Surrey? Where if you get a dusting of snow it’s a national emergency?

You’ve made some outlandish claims on here, but by saying that this rainfall is ‘nothing unusual’ you’ve surpassed yourself sir 😆

It’s liking a bit bonkers now. Way worse than I’ve seen before. We’re quite a bit further south and it’s not stopped raining here for weeks. We had flooding last week, but nothing remotely like this. Thoughts are with all you poor buggers coping with it. Stay safe you lot!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There’s often lots of rain here over winter; there’s always a few spots get flooded. But the last two weeks or so has seen a massive amount of rain. Pretty much every day for the last two weeks, the A590 has been badly flooded, and that’s flat, there are no fells next to it.

I just guess the ground can’t hold anymore water, and last night/today was the straw that broke the camels back.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Pretty much DT I have done a fair amount of driving across the north west last week and prety much every are had fields that wer ejust flooded and ponds where there were none before. THis last bout has gone on to already waterlogged ground creating the exceptional weather we are experiencing usual weather as our southern sage tells us

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ilovethelakedistrict/

was what David meant and some mental pics on there

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Tha’ts the one! My mates gf just posted a video of Grasmere 😯

senorj

My brother is a house away from flooding.:-(
    According to the in laws ,who only talk about the weather,the last few weeks have been the wettest they’ve known .
    Last time, 2009, it was me grandad (rip)who said that and then the bridges went.
    The fields are unusually extra waterlogged,long night ahead .
    Feeling slightly guilty here in north London listening to the middle classes twining about the “bitter” wind.ha.

boxelder

Let’s all have a bun fight about whether this is unusual or that’s to blame.
    I’m more glad than ever that I’m not in Workington……

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Unreal!

High hill in Keswick

Posted by Cumbria Crack on Saturday, December 5, 2015

senorj

I’m more glad than ever that I’m not in Workington……

Bastid! 🙂

professor_fate
    Free Member

Am supposed to stay at the Rosthwaite YHA over Xmas but reckon I should stay away, hope Xmas is salvageable for all the locals.

boxelder

No, no, no – don’t stay away. That’s the worst of these events. Unless they tell you otherwise, still come. I’m glad I’ve not started Christmas shopping. Buy local, more now than ever. Hoping that Cockermouth shop reverbs last time were future flood proofed.

robdob
    Free Member

Unless they tell you otherwise, still come

Amen to that – ring up beforehand to check but still go, and spend as much money as you can while you are there.

boxelder

Keswick Bikes will be drowned. River levels 3 miles upstream of Cockermouth falling fairly quickly now at least.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Aye 1 in 100 year event is a measure of magnitude not frequency..its a very unhelpful expression…its a shame some EA folk still use it. 1percent chance per year is better way of expressing same event.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m way removed from all this, but boxelder is right.

Having work at various floods as a claims handler, its a really awful thing to happen and my heart goes out to anyone affected

boxelder

Your office upstairs anc?

robdob
    Free Member

“Not my account, pictures of the situation in cockermouth awful

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100129703318078&id=276702248&set=a.575591226178.101037.276702248&source=48&refi”

To be more accurate in that post – the defences haven’t failed, they’ve just been overtopped, which they are designed to do. The sheer amount of water they are managing to hold back is terrifying though – so although there is water coming over them it could be much much worse for those houses on the other side. I certainly would have legged it from those houses a while back!

jambalaya
    Free Member

The 2009 event was described as a once in 100years – except it’s happened again.

So two major floods in 6 years sounds “not unusual” to me, that being my point.

Lakes full because rivers not being allowed to drain / run fully due to downstream developments etc ? Had lots of first hand experience of this living overlooking the river in Guildford and plenty of such stories around the Thames and Cherwell. @Moses I appreciate your point about Churches but what didn’t flood 200 years ago can change with development which is your point too land vs building

anc
    Free Member

Yeah boxelder.. nee fun working with dehumidifiers on downstairs though. Fingers crossed, it was the flow of water that got us last time as we’re at the high end of south st.

brooess
    Free Member

Getting texts from a mate who lives down near Haweswater, he’s stuck in a pub in Shap. Not sure where he’ll be spending the night but the pub’s floor is already wet…

I was there last Xmas when the fells were so waterlogged they could only get out via the water company service road, so this time it looks even worse…

Sympathy to anyone affected by this. Down here in London we haven’t got a clue what proper weather’s like…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Almost as though something global is affecting our climate…..

It’s those fires in Indonesia that no-one seems worried about – they are chucking out unreal amounts of greenhouse gases – greenpeace are trying to highlight the issue and those responsible for letting it happen/continue.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I couldn’t make our bi-annual trip last weekend to the mountaineering hut at low hall garth, little langdale.

They were saying that it was wet, but I think they got lucky with it being last weekend!

robdob
    Free Member

“Lakes full because rivers not being allowed to drain / run fully due to downstream developments etc ?”

Wrong. 313mm rainfall in 24hrs on already completely saturated ground and high water levels is going to cause flooding.

Stay down south please, it’d be far too scary for you up here.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Rainfall in 2009 Cumbria flood was highest amount of rainfall UK has had in a 24hr period since they started collecting proper tidy records. Early days yet but this feels like a worse event – 40 Severe Flood Warnings at the moment in Cumbria – only 9 or 10 in 2009.

From that I’d expect todays rain to be very close to or beat the 2009 rainfall record. – 2 rainfall amounts that big in 6 years…..statistically it could be random of course…bit it fits a pattern of warmer atmospheres holding more moisture so able to support more intense rainfall events.

somafunk
    boxelder

High Coledale bridge gone in Braithwaite, near the ‘narrows’ at the foot of Whinlatter. 🙁

binners

“Lakes full because rivers not being allowed to drain / run fully due to downstream developments etc ?”

All the recent massive developments around Keswick and Cockermouth – the massive housing estates, shopping malls etc have been a bit worrying from an environmental standpoint.

Have you ever actually been to the Lakes Jammers? It’s a bit further north than Watford? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

No one can speculate this daftly without it being intentional so Jamby has just got to be trolling STW or you are Joey Essex.

My bike has just had to be rescued from the cellar due to the flood a few feet and rising.

Obviously this is very usual Cheers Jamby

gwaelod
    Free Member

River Levels today in Keswick running higher than 2009 –

http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Map/Summary/642/656

binners

The latest pictures look waaaaay worse than 2009. Damage to property is clearly going to be immense! I just hope everyone is safe up there!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Soft Southern Shandy Drinking Lightweight sending some thoughts for all your safety and hope you all don’t suffer too badly.

Thinking aboutcha’s

😕

slackalice
    Free Member

Sounds and looks like it’s a bit windy and wet up there for you. Hoping that you’re keeping safe warm and dry-ish.

It is said that there’s no such thing as bad weather with the appropriate clothing. So who has got their dry suit and arm bands on? 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The girl on the radio whose 18th birthday party had to be cancelled confirmed that it was indeed ‘way worse’ than 2009.

slowoldman

The 2009 event was described as a once in 100years – except it’s happened again.

Well that’s statistics for you. Can’t rely on it.

reverse waterfall on kinder scout

Wow
    Not at all uncommon. Get a bit of a breeze here and you get wet from the spray half a mile upstream.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Well that’s statistics for you. Can’t rely on it.

It’s probability…

jam-bo

Doesn’t change the fact it’s a bit shit but:

A one-hundred-year flood is a flood event that has a 1% probability of occurring in any given year.

A common misunderstanding exists that a 100-year flood is likely to occur only once in a 100-year period. In fact, there is approximately a 63.4% chance of one or more 100-year floods occurring in any 100-year period.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/100-year_flood

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 325 total)

The topic ‘Stormy near Keswick…..’ is closed to new replies.