Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Storm Dennis – worth avoiding the Lake District?
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

Me and the Mrs by have our yearly weekend away together in Keswick booked for tomorrow and Sunday. Does anyone know if it will be worth the trip or will it be flooding with closed roads, shops and pubs? We aren’t massive walkers but wanted to do a walk around Derwentwater and Whinlatter forest although just heard that’s closed now. I know it’s hard to say but we are considering rebooking somewhere a little less windswept so need an idea somehow.

fossy

I’m off on an orgainsed walking holiday in Snowdonia. Expecting to get very wet. Already been told to stick to the main roads going to Llanberis as the Llanrwst area’s had bad flooding.

If it’s really bad, we’ll wander round the lake and sample the local pubs.

karnali
    Free Member

The top end of the lake may be flooded over the path but i would imagine its ok to walk to walk from portincale or keswickup the lake shore path to manesty and back, stop for a cuppa at lingholm its rather pleasant in there. You can get into whinlatter from the the bridleway at thronthwaite turn left after the gallery and up past some houses. Its normally quite sheltered wandering around the forest due to the cover from the trees.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Carnethy 5 hill race tomorrow in the Pentlands, can’t see it being on tbh.

jp-t853

It was all ok last weekend and this storm doesn’t look as bad. You will likely arrive before things get too messy on the roads and leaving when it has died down again. The floods are always quite confined in Keswick but the press coverage makes it appear to be a much bigger deal.
    It will be breezy and a bit wet so if you can live with that you will be grand.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Think I may be getting scared of the new amber warning,hopefully it sounds worse than it is.

stumpyjon

Don’t think it was an orange warning last weekend and Calderdale / Rossendale got it bad. Think the Lakes is outside the orange zone. Wind will make the motorways fun, got to go over the M62 to Leeds 4 times this weekend.

molgrips
    Free Member

Amber warnings don’t mess about. I’d be expecting driving disruption and not to do any walking.

johndoh
    Free Member

Depends on whether you are wearing trainers or not.

richardkennerley

Local weather last night said less wind but more rain this time, there was a lot of green patches floating over the North West on the weather map.

Drac

Go, give the pubs you trade.

crazy-legs

I’d be more concerned with the driving to and from the Lakes. Once you’re actually there, Keswick itself is pretty well flood-proofed now (although the old railway line to Threlkeld is not!) and there’s some decent mid-level walking around there without having to go to the summit of Blencathra!

fossy

Just checked where we are staying, and it’s right next to a little stream that caused all the flooding in Llanberis over the years. I hope the flood defenses, finished in the autumn, do the job. Don’t fancy watching the car float off !

crazy-legs

Think I may be getting scared of the new amber warning,hopefully it sounds worse than it is.

There’s a Flood Alert in place for Upper River Derwent, Stonethwaite Beck and Derwent Water itself and the whole Lakes has a yellow warning for rain in place all weekend.

The Amber warning area sort of starts at the eastern edge of the Lake District.

I think it’s supposed to sound bad because it is…

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Looking at the forecast I’d be giving it a miss.

muddylegs
    Free Member

If your visiting the pubs don’t expect a pint of Sneck! How did I not know that was dropped last year!!

muddylegs
    Free Member

Oh and the lakes weatherline generally give a good indication of the weather to be.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

A591 flooded in two places north of Ambleside last weekend.

Some local flooding in Keswick as well.

I would expect it to be worse this weekend. Ground is saturated, already rained again this week to top it up.

However make it a shopping, pub and bed weekend and don’t park near the river

martinhutch

Ground is saturated, already rained again this week to top it up.

Noticed that while out in the Dales today. Noticeable run-off from fields even though we’ve not had significant rain for a couple of days. Some puddling in road dips where it hasn’t managed to seep away yet.

Any major rainfall this weekend is going to flash straight off the ground into the becks and streams, or take the direct route to the valley.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Storm Dennis – worth avoiding the Lake District?’ is closed to new replies.