Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 236 total)
  • Storm Ciara
  • RustySpanner

Not a problem.

Here if you need us, just drop us a line.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

That’s a hard blow to take Nick.I deliver to a store at Mytholmroyd & they’ve had the flood defence road works going for a couple of years,I think they’re nearly finished. I just hope they’ve worked for the people in that part of the valley.It seems a nice place apart from the flooding.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Local radio reported the storm peaked at 13:00 here.

The damage totaled a 5l container of oil (still sealed) blowing off the wing of the landy as o serviced it)

In other local locations we have had storm surge and lots of trees down.

Makes a rare change for the wind to come from where it is this time

northernsoul

West Northumberland seems to been hit harder than the east

The Eastern side of Co Durham hasn’t been too bad either – nothing off the scale anyway. I even managed to get a ride in later this afternoon.

drewd

Anyone in the Preston/Ribble Valley area?

I need to get to Whittingham from Burnley tomorrow morning. Usually go through Simonstone, Read, Whalley, Copster Green, Ribchester and Longridge.

Alternative is M65,M61,M6 and off at junction 32 (M55 Blackpool exit).

Any idea which of the two is likely to be more realistic?

I’m in Longridge. I’ve only ventured out today to walk the dogs, but from what I’ve seen locally Ribchester flooded earlier, and the M6 was shut for a while from J29 to J31. Whalley had some flooding too, so I’d stick to the motorways if I were you.

dienamic

@bustaspoke £30 million and 4 years of work and no, it didn’t work at all. ☹

Drac

Ah bugger sorry to hear that @nickc I’ve a lot of friends in the valley so often look in weather like this to see how it’s faring up.

RustySpanner

Cheers, motorway it is.

crazy-legs

@bustaspoke £30 million and 4 years of work and no, it didn’t work at all. ☹

Thought the flood defences weren’t finished yet?

mos

They are due to be finished this summer, but I can’t imagine what it is that is left to do that could have prevented today’s flood.
    Which in turn makes me wonder if another solution would have been better, something more in the upland areas.
    Could be an awkward morning tomorrow for those in charge of the project or the designer.

BenjiM

Also in Longridge. Going to Goosnargh isn’t too bad but theres flooding on Devils Elbow and through Ribchester. The pub is underwater again. Whalley bridge was nearly under water this afternoon. Not great for Ribble and Calder Valleys today. Stick to the motorways.

matt_outandabout

At risk of confirming bias…

We had family get together this weekend in Nottinghamshire. The East Anglian entourage bailed at lunch on Saturday, claiming near death for all who stayed. The Scottish contingent stayed, ate a fine roast beef lunch through the peak of the storm today, then cruised home comforted by the knowledge that they had seen worse… 😂😂😂

tjagain

mos – building flood defenses that keep water in the channel just causes issues further down if not just raising water levels at that point – what is needed in general is trees planting upstream to slow down runoff into the river

frankconway

Return upland areas to natural state; introduce beavers to more areas.
    Both proven to work.

ratherbeintobago

what is needed in general is trees planting upstream to slow down runoff into the river

Do they still burn the grouse moors upstream? That won’t help.

introduce beavers to more areas.

Wasn’t the Dalby Forest trial specifically to test that theory?

zippykona

Are the flooded areas getting flooded a lot more than they did in the last century?

nickc

if nothing else, it’s an excuse to post my favourite nature shot…

Image result for 3 beavers

Alex

Hey @nickc that’s rubbish. Moving to Manchester then?

Roof is fine now. Patched up until we can get it sorted propery. Only a bit damp inside. Could have been a whole lot worse.

nickc

Hey Al, yeah probs, I can still catch a train for work for an easy commute and playing in the hills at the weekend, without the hassle of a river through the lounge every winter.

scotroutes

Are the flooded areas getting flooded a lot more than they did in the last century?

Some areas are experiencing a “once-in a century” flood for the second time this decade. Yes, statistics, averages, means etc. Fact is, there are more flood events than there used to be. In addition to climate change, housing/roads/car parks cause fast run-off, bare moorlands with no trees similarly, flood “prevention” schemes have a habit of simply relocating the problem. This is all well-known stuff, it’s just that we are turning a blind eye to it.

pictonroad

It’s not once in a century, it’s 1 in 100 chance of a flood that size in one year.

chestrockwell

Brand new housing estate in Harrogate flooded this morning. When it was a field it seemed to hold water better.

matt_outandabout

By heck we had some rain through last night, like being under a waterfall as it just overflowed the gutters.

It’s now trying to snow…

nickc, that’s tough, really tough.

Flaperon

Started getting texts through from the Environment Agency yesterday warning about imminent floods. My house is safe (at least 15 feet above the river) so spent the rest of the day looking smugly at the local Facebook group photos and videos of the water rising.

Woke up with a bit of a panic at 5am to remember that I took the train into work and that my car is (was?) parked somewhat closer to the river.

binners

Really sorry to hear that Nick. Thats pretty depressing.

But I can fully understand it though. These supposed ‘once in a lifetime’ weather events do seem to be becoming an annual thing now.

Mrs Binners has got mates who are away skiing at the moment. Their house is presently under 3ft of water 🙁

Caher

My colleagues in Austria have been told to stay at home today due to the storm which the Germans have renamed Sabine.

scotroutes

It’s now trying to snow…

Succeeding here

ratherbeintobago

Aged parents say it’s snowing with them (Fife).

alpin
    Free Member

Windy in Germany.

Local trains in Munich not running.

Not really that windy, mind….

Oddly it’s changed its name from Ciara to Sabine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Went out for a run, came across a fella in a SUV who couldn’t get it started ‘I dunno why it’s not starting?!’ Er, mibbe the waves that are coming over your car, and have been for God knows how long while your wife walks the dog?.

Jebus.

klaus
    Free Member

klaus
    Free Member

That’s a hard blow to take Nick.I deliver to a store at Mytholmroyd & they’ve had the flood defence road works going for a couple of years,I think they’re nearly finished. I just hope they’ve worked for the people in that part of the valley.It seems a nice place apart from the flooding.

From the brief look i’ve had at the latest documents see here, the old bridge is due to be demolished this summer, once the new bridge is completed.

Looking at the plans, the new bridge has twice the opening, is higher, and located further upstream. the results of this allows more water to pass under the bridge, and they are planning on widening the river once the old bridge is demolished.

These flood defences will have been designed by professionals, and constructed planned in phases to ensure they don’t make it worse in the interim.

With regard to the 2015 boxing day floods, their website clearly states:

Will the new Flood Alleviation Scheme protect against a flood on the same scale as December 2015?

Unfortunately we can’t totally eliminate the risk of flooding. December 2015 was a 1 in 200 year event (the wettest on record, but also the wettest calendar month overall since records began in 1910).

The completed scheme for Mytholmroyd will substantially improve the level of protection of the village. The growing threat from more extreme weather events means we must always be as prepared and as resilient as possible.

ratherbeintobago

Oddly it’s changed its name from Ciara to Sabine.

Thats because Ciara is the UK/Irl/NL name – Wikipedia

tjagain

Snowing heavily in Leith now!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Lots of trees down across the line at work last night and this morning (thankfully I’ve got a few days off now). At least 7 fence panels to replace though TBH I’m surprised they’ve lasted this long.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune nickc, KBO.

No snow here, just squally showers and gusty winds.

kelvin

December 2015 was a 1 in 200 year event

See, the whole programme fails from the moment that attitude is taken. It is utterly irrelevant how frequent weather events have been in the past, the climate has already changed, and will continue to do so. Flood defences need building assuming that what were once very unusual events will happen again, sooner not later.

aP
    Free Member

Infrastructure Australia are reporting that 1:100 year events are now 1:10.

kelvin

Sorry to hear that @nickc. Lots of others trying to pick up the pieces ‘again’, and seeming very down about it. Horrible time.

pictonroad

See, the whole programme fails from the moment that attitude is taken. It is utterly irrelevant how frequent weather events have been in the past, the climate has already changed, and will continue to do so. Flood defences need building assuming that what were once very unusual events will happen again, sooner not later.

A scheme can only be funded if it provides the standard of protection at the end of the economic appraisal period. Generally for FCERM funding this will be 100 years and will incorporate several epochs of climate change.

Event sizes are reviewed, 1in100 is not a static level,  there is pressure to make the simulation characteristics continuous.

turboferret

Lots of fun in London, I noticed our roofline looking a bit suspect around lunchtime Sunday, when I noticed water dripping on the ground floor I knew it must have deteriorated somewhat.

This was the view out of the velux

This is on a loft conversion a few months old, and now my suspicions that the lack of properly mortared ridge tiles was insufficient have been confirmed 🙁

Roofers came this afternoon and agreed that it was totally sub-standard. Have affected a temporary repair but a longer more robust solution required

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 236 total)

The topic ‘Storm Ciara’ is closed to new replies.