Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)
  • Storing Renewable Energy
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Really big ****-off flywheels, that’s what we need. We can see if planes can take off from them.

if we can attach a treadmill to the flywheel, that should stop them

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Compressed air underground: I’m no expert on rock, but you know how you get subsidence above old mine workings? What could possibly go wrong when you pump them full of compressed air? Not to mention the energy losses in the system. (I’ve also seen what happens when an air-pocket in a uPVC water pipe 2m underground lets go when somebody closes the outlet valve but doesn’t turn off the pumps)

Not that hard actualy, and done regulalry. We store ethylene in the rock under Teesside. The only problem is after 40 odd years of constant pressurising/depressurising they’re starting to crumble (not a danger to the surface, if you have a cave, and the roof falls in, effectively the caves just moved a few meters close to the surface, but unlike the coal mines, is still a long way down).

maccruiskeen

Absolutely, but with people wanting more electronic devices and bigger cars all the time, I can’t see this happening.

you can change what people want though. People didn’t want fridge freezers, they were encouraged to want them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brassneck

Really big ****-off flywheels, that’s what we need. We can see if planes can take off from them.

Had those as a ‘kinetic UPS’ at a datacenter.

Problems were:
    1. You had to have 2 as one was always inder maintenance.
    2. They were always under maintenance 🙂

Worked out expensive and unreliable compared to good old batteries unfortunately.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Encouraging consumers to spread the load would certainly be a help as it mitigates the need for peaking plant and spreads base load better.

As for hydrogen not being suitable for existing infrastructure, there seems to be no real data available to suggest this is the case and in any event proven hydrogen infrastructure seems to be of a similar cost to our compressed natural gas infrastructure so improvements could easily be made through natural wastage until further research proves the viability (or not) of existing pipework.

I’m not really sure what the Wobbe index is; I’m an engineer, not a chemist. However I do know from previous study that dilution of existing gas supplies by up to 10% hydrogen content is possible without the need for any modifications to burners. As I said, anything more and we would need to do a national refit as last seen in the 70’s. You can also fit microgeneration boilers that produce electricity as well as heat (like CHP but the bias is reversed) which can help spread the load a little.

Pumped storage is also perfectly viable, you do not need a massive pump head to achieve a viable output – look at the Galloway hydro scheme or the likes of the Kielder dam. The whole Severn Barrage idea hinges on this principle! Existing hydro infrastructure is already being refurbished for higher generation potential (more efficient turbines) and there are plenty of reservoirs that could be retrofitted to produce power. As said though microgeneration and small scale hydro is the better option as it has less of a detrimental environmental impact (hydro is one of the least green options and most destructive of all renewables).

On nuclear – the challenge in replenishing our existing stations is more seated in the actions (or lack thereof) of previous governments and a lack of incentive for investment. We could have got the ball rolling when we owned British Energy but instead decided to pass on the ownership plus any subsequent investment returns to the French. The long term high level waste issues need to be addressed as well although 4th gen (breeder type) reactors should go a long way to reducing existing and future medium and high level waste. With the correct financing though, there is no reason why nuclear couldn’t have a similar cost to hydro. Lets face it, the existing fleet will but a bawhair off 50 when it comes to the present end of life projection.

Flywheels are also viable, don’t know much about them but did read an interesting article about them recently which explained how they could work in large scale.

Finally – as knottinbotswana alluded to, ‘Without The Hot Air’ is worth a read (free to DL here: http://www.withouthotair.com/download.html). A lot of similar content to OU texts from what I can see and describes things quite well IIRC

olddog

Nuclear fusion or Dark Ages – You have 100 years starting from…. now

mikey74
    Free Member

Fusion is the only form of nuclear power we should be considering in the long-term.

In the short-term: Smart meters, energy storage, renewables (solar, wind, hydro), and greater efficiency in general, should all be invested in in a big way.

Oh, and switch off those damned street lights.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Fusion is the only form of nuclear power we should be considering in the long-term.

Reasons? Define long term.

Fusion really is still a long way off IF it is ever proven to be commercially viable.

mikey74
    Free Member

Reasons? Define long term.

Fusion really is still a long way off IF it is ever proven to be commercially viable.

Reasons? Primarily waste, or lack there of with fusion. I read an article recently where experts estimated that the first fusion power station is approx. 50 years away, which isn’t too bad in my view.

I think our first aim is to reduce, and eventually eliminate, our use of fossil fuels. It’s an obvious one, I know, but all this talk of fracking and exploration of new oil and coal reserves seems to suggest that the powers-that-be are looking to maintain the status quo.

Murray

Fusions getting worse – it was 20 years away in 1980!

Fission is proven and if we start “burning” our waste we already have the fuel for next 100 years sitting in storage. The problem I building nukes is political and financial. France built their fleet in less than 15 years. We could do the same if there was the political will and have all the electricity we need without covering our wild spaces in reservoirs and windmills.

mikey74
    Free Member

You mean the MOX or PRISM reactors? These are still some years from being widely used and don’t deal with the waste issue completely.

squirrelking
    Free Member

PRISM is nothing more than an opportunistic money maker for GE Hitachi, I was at a talk presented by their CEO and he couldn’t answer a straight question as to why paying them to build the reactor then paying for them to convert the “waste” (which is nothing more than stockpiled plutonium at pretty low waste levels) then paying again to buy the usable product back was value for money. If they skipped the nonsense about export licences and let us just use the Pu and reactor as a power source from the get-go it would be fine but as a business model for us (the customer) it sucks.

Shame really as it’s an otherwise nice looking bit of kit.

Mikey – that’s probably a reasonable expectation but is entirely dependent upon JET or ITER achieving Q1 efficiencies (what goes in comes out) and then some. They expect ITER to scale better and actually go some way to achieving this though from what I gathered from some JET folk I met they aren’t that far off themselves.

MOX is a bugger in that you can’t just fling it into any old reactor, I know it’s certainly incompatible with the AGR’s and Sizewell has enough waste issues without adding to them (we have no reprocessing facility for it). Thermal reactors really aren’t the answer and beyond the present Gen 3.5 builds I think it’ll be the end of the line when safer and cleaner forms of nuclear power are proven. Gen IV (fast reactors) is already looking promising (despite pulling out years ago hence relying on the everyone else to develop it for us) and Gen V (fusion) is well on the path to development.

Northwind

mikey74 – Member

Hitching all your wagons to one horse, before you even know if the horse can pull a wagon, is a bit itchy.

Murray – Member

Fission is proven and if we start “burning” our waste we already have the fuel for next 100 years sitting in storage.

At current rates of consumption… But what is it, 11% of world generation coming from nuclear vs 67% for fossil, that’s one big increase in fuel consumption. (Always surprises me that renewables outstrip nuclear worldwide, you can forget how big renewables are now and how small nuclear.)

mikey74
    Free Member

Hitching all your wagons to one horse, before you even know if the horse can pull a wagon, is a bit itchy.

That’s not what I said. Fission is fine in the short term but in my opinion, if nuclear is to have any kind of future, then fusion is the way to go. Anything else appears to be a bit like sticking a catalytic converter on a car i.e. you replace one lot of harmful substances with another lot of slightly less harmful substances.

From my somewhat limited reading, and ole squirrel up there knows a lot more than me, fusion is there as proven science.

Northwind

I do apologise mikey, I can’t read even when I’m quoting 🙁

mikey74
    Free Member

You misunderstood then.

Northwind

That’s what I mean! I somehow read your line and just failed to see the word “nuclear”.

Also it seems I’m such a naturally sarcastic person I can’t even genuinely apologise for being an idiot without it seeming sarcastic 😆 It is both a gift and a curse.

aracer
    Free Member

Though in the case of the Severn barrage you have a huge amount more volume than you’re going to get building a system with reservoirs (can’t be bothered doing the research, but I’d imagine it’s significantly more than all of our current reservoirs put together) which makes up for the lack of hydraulic head. Nobody is suggesting pumped storage isn’t viable, simply that it can’t store the quantity of energy required if intermittent renewables are expected to provide a more significant proportion of our needs.

20 or 50, the suggested timescale never seems to get any shorter.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I can’t remember the figures offhand but I can assure you that we do have a significant untapped resource in the form of reservoirs in this country. Perhaps not enough to meet all our needs but certainly enough to go a long way towards it. As for the barrage itself, my point was that low head systems can and do work, you seem to have glossed over my other example (that actually exists!) being the Galloway Hydro scheme.

And intermittant or not, they can still be coordinated (in certain cases such as tidal systems) or probability will dictate that in at least one part of the country we will have wind.

TooTall
    Free Member

Pumped storage is good, but there are not that many sites available in the UK any more.
    Salt flow batteries are getting quite interesting. Cheaper materials than current chemistry, scaled up to the size of ISO containers to give really big dispersed storage. Couple that with dispersed generation and you start to get a grid of the future.

it would be smart to change our lives so they fit the resources that are available to us

That’s exactly what the energy companies have wanted for years and will achieve using smart metering. They want the morning and even ing peaks shaved because a nice steady base load that doesn’t fluctuate is far easier and cheaper to provide. The increased granularity of smart metering will take a fairly blunt style of Economy 7 and vary the cost of electricity down to a minute by minute basis. They will charge more for it between 6 and 9am and 5 and 8pm, driving consumers away from those times.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just beaten to it – flow batteries are probably the way in the immediate future, IMHO.

ahwiles
    Free Member

aracer – Member

20 or 50, the suggested timescale never seems to get any shorter.

but we’re building one!

iter

aracer
    Free Member

That depends on your definition of “a long way”. In reality nowhere near enough that we could cope with a significant proportion of our current baseload generation being replaced by intermittent renewables.

And intermittant or not, they can still be coordinated (in certain cases such as tidal systems) or probability will dictate that in at least one part of the country we will have wind.

Tidal schemes, yes – mostly as whilst tide times vary around the country, not everywhere is suitable for tidal generation and there will be variation, though that’s on a short enough timescale that the absolute storage requirements aren’t huge. I’m quite a big fan of tidal as it’s reliable and predictable in the way most other renewables aren’t (so long as it’s not significantly damaging in the way a Severn barrage would be). However it’s not that great to suggest that there will be wind somewhere most of the time when the lights go out because right now there doesn’t happen to be any, or there’s only wind where we don’t have significant installed capacity – there are occasions where there is no wind over most or all of our country.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

it would be smart to change our lives so they fit the resources that are available to us

worth phrasing this differently;

if we do not do it out of free will now, we will be forced to change our lives to fit the resources available

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Think the summary section from that withouthotair book sums things up pretty well

Let’s be realistic. Just like Britain, Europe can’t live on its own renewables. So if the aim is to get off fossil fuels, Europe needs nuclear power, or solar power in other people’s deserts (as discussed on p179), or both.

I guess the UK had better continue to be very friendly to any countries with a lot of sun.

The conclusion for the whole world is pretty much the same. A lot of solar electric generated in deserts, plus nuclear.

Or, drop our energy use.

andytherocketeer

There’s more to energy than just volts and amps coming out of a plug socket.

Northwind

mrmonkfinger – Member

The conclusion for the whole world is pretty much the same. A lot of solar electric generated in deserts, plus nuclear.

Orbiting solettas. You can do lots of cool things with a space mirror (including incinerating godzillas, the inevitable side effect of all these nuclear reactors)

jfletch
    Free Member

They want the morning and even ing peaks shaved because a nice steady base load that doesn’t fluctuate is far easier and cheaper to provide

It’s cheaper to provide due to our very cheap coal fired power stations. There isn’t currently a viable renewable option in this country to generate that base load. Nuclear is the answer but we are 20 years behind in developing the technology and we are all scared of it due to the missguided nuclear policy.

More people died this week in Turkey mining coal than have died due to the generation of nuclear power since Chernobyl.

olddog

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned the developing world and meeting their energy requirements? A billion people in China and a plan to reach high income nation status by 2030.

They do have massive pollution problems in the cities and understand that something needs to be done – but a 5 or 6 times increase in the size of the economy (over and above growth in the USA/EU) is going to require a huge expansion of energy use. Not to mentioned India, Indo, Malaysia, Sub-Saharan Africa perhaps.

In this context whatever we do is frankly p***ing into the gale.

TooTall
    Free Member

There’s more to energy than just volts and amps coming out of a plug socket.

Correct – so share your knowledge.

We do need to get towards more electrical energy to reduce carbon in energy. IIRC the Zero Carbon Britain report looked at de-carbonizing transport ie all electric vehicles (assuming the vehicle tech was there). It would require something like 3 times the electricity that the current grid carries. But the current grid probably won’t be the grid of the future.

In this context whatever we do is frankly p***ing into the gale.

So do we do nothing, or do we get on the high ground then sell them the more efficient tech we’ve developed?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

There’s more to energy than just volts and amps coming out of a plug socket

Almost everything that isn’t transport & heating is electric.

Electric can do heating (heat pumps) rather well, even more efficiently than being on gas (and even accounting for the inefficiencies of power stations), if we (politically, etc) got our act together.

Transport. Well, that could largely (i.e. private transport) be electric as well, if we got our act together. Public transport probably could. Haulage, dunno, maybe.

And then when everything is on electric, renewables can feed it, and so can nuclear.

In this context whatever we do is frankly p***ing into the gale

Bring on the dark ages, eh?

Maybe we could all ride bikes to work or something. Crazy idea.

AlexSimon

Despite having nothing to contribute, I’m enjoying this thread.

aracer
    Free Member

The best thing about some of the things you mention is that they tend to be things which work well at intelligent load spreading – you charge up your electric car at night, and you’re not in a hurry.

andytherocketeer

Assume the raw materials for these public, private and haulage transportation devices are made mostly by way of windmill and tidal barrage powered electric ovens and 1000C oversized hairdryers?

From the satellite images we take over China, they presumably don’t have that technology yet.

olddog

Absolutely we (ie the rich Western nations) should do what we can now as we are the most polluting nations by far. This extends the time horizons for a permanent solution – but without some major technical breakthrough (which is why I mentioned fusion above)I can’t see us maintaining the standards of living we have come to expect or that the rest of the world is aiming for. This is in no way a criticism of the developing world – if you have real poverty problems today, your main focus is to solve those as soon as.

The point I was making is that scale of the problem will expand rapidly as the world develops – so solutions have to be big and transferable

… Dark ages – yes it could all go badly wrong if sufficient action isn’t taken – and I don’t see the will to do the hugely radical things that are required. The focus of domestic politics is very much restoring economic growth and the media is frightened of being alarmist on the environment – but I think the consequences of not taking serious action now are pretty damn alarming

maxtorque

mrmonkfinger
    Maybe we could all ride bikes to work or something. Crazy idea.

The thing i really don’t understand, is why in the UK, where the vast majority of works are no longer doing manual labour, is why we still all drive to work in the morning to sit at a computer, just like the one i am sat in front of now at home typing this?

Unfortunately, it’s a social thing, and will be very difficult to change. But the Government could give tax breaks to companies that encourage/enable their staff to say work from home just 1 day a week etc

(at a stroke, that would be up to a 20% reduction in road traffic at rush hour!)

olddog

andytherocketeer – exactly, the iron and steelworks in China make Scunthorpe look like a village smithy.

I think as a society we are increasingly divorced from industry so don’t get the scale. I’ve not really been anywhere near a productive plant since Mrs OD packed in here job at Lafarge. Working in an office (or at home) forget what goes into the maintaining our lifestyles

andytherocketeer

Global electricity generation comes to about 14% of global energy consumption. After accounting for generation inefficiency, that comes to about 33% (assuming 100% fossil fuel, since renewables is tiny).

Replacing fossil fuel with immediate use renewables can start to reduce that 33%. But the moment you have a delayed use renewables with a heat engine energy conversion you’re putting back a 50% inefficiency that you just removed.

That’s assuming that wind, pv, etc are 100% efficient, and hiding the effective efficiency of the device harnessing “free” power, since the portion of wind/solar power not converted to electrical wasn’t really “wasted”.

27% of global energy consumption is “lost”.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maxtorque, exactly what I’ve been saying for ages!

Northwind

andytherocketeer – Member

(assuming 100% fossil fuel, since renewables is tiny).

16%, according to teh wiki- wouldn’t call that tiny? More than nuclear.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Storing Renewable Energy’ is closed to new replies.