Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Storing documents on an iPad?
  • kevster
    Free Member

Got bought an iPad for Xmas and would like to start using it at meetings. Is there any way of transferring job files back and forth to the device? Will save me taking a couple of files at a time!

johndoh
    Free Member

Dropbox

spacemonkey

+1 DB

geoffj

Good Reader +Drop Box or cloud storage partner of choice

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Dropbox – if using word files, save them as pdf 1st – saves buying additional software to open the Word doc. & the Apple softare isn’t especially cheap.

kevster
    Free Member

OK, will get dropbox, used it before with clients to transfer large docs. If I bought pages on the iPad will that open up word docs?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

save as PDF, email to yourself, open in iBooks and job’s a good ‘un

kevster
    Free Member

I’m talking a lot of docs that may need to be accessed, cant do the email thing, too much faff!

footflaps

I can access 100Gb of work docs on my iPad via DropBox….

Technically it just downloads the ones you select rather than try and sync the whole lot….

bensales
    Free Member

Rather than Pages, get QuickOffice HD

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro-hd-edit-office/id376212724?mt=8

It’s got very good support for Word .doc and .dox, and Excel .xls and .xlsx files, plus it integrates directly with Dropbox, so you can load and save files straight into your Dropbox, or onto the iPad itself.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another user of DB and Quick Office Pro..

johndoh
    Free Member

Another thought – you could save the docs into Google Docs – it will open all the Microsoft stuff too

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Why email? Just drop them from PC / laptop straight into dropbox folder. They are then immediately viewable on your ipad or anything else with dropbox installed.

kevster
    Free Member

Is there a good excel substitute?

Frankers
    Free Member

I use my work iPad for exactly this

I have a 100gb Dropbox account which my company pays for

You can open and view the documents in Dropbox but not edit, if you want to edit you can “open in” I open in Numbers and it downloads it to my iPad so I can edit or view.

Once it’s on your iPad you can edit/view without internet but of course you will need WiFi or 3G to download the document from Dropbox

If you want a portable option you could also look at the new Airstash from Hitachi-Maxell which gives you the option of storing document on a separate device (or SD cards) and transferring wireless

AIRSTASH

Frankers
    Free Member

kevster – Member

Is there a good excel substitute?

I like Numbers but others don’t

kevster
    Free Member

OK, so I will need to ensure I have tethering allowance on my phone (see other post!). Think that sounds OK, will ask work about paying for dropbox storage for me!

Drac

I just iCloud with Pages and Numbers works great, the Apple office programmes aren’t expensive really sure they’re about £12 each.

Frankers
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

I just iCloud with Pages and Numbers works great, the Apple office programmes aren’t expensive really sure they’re about £12 each.

Also use iCloud as well but find downloading from dropbox on Work PC a little easier. Either way both work well

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Drop box is fine, unless it’s blocked at work as it is in our place

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Storing documents on an iPad?’ is closed to new replies.