• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by rone.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Storing bike clothing in a garage – is a dehumidifier enough?
  • iamtheresurrection

Christ, as dull topics go, this is right up there.

I want to move a lot of my bike clothing (motorbike and pedal bike) to the garage to free up some room in the house.  Two sons, lots of hobbies and kit, and frankly I feel like I’m fighting with space all of the time.

The garage is detached from the house, but is double skinned (brick and block).  If I get an insulated garage roller door, and a dehumidifier running for 6 hours a day or so, will the garage by dry enough to store clothing and kit without it getting damp and mouldy or does it really need heat too?

Thanks! 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

Long term stored and not being used is consider vacuum packing it.

rone

I have all my bike kit I’m garage and shower.

No mold.

I have an extractor. And i guess there’s airflow under and around the main door.

iamtheresurrection

Thanks both, it’s not long term, it’s stuff I use every week.  Between the three main motorbike jackets and trousers, countless windproof gilets and soft shells, goretex shells, offroad motorbike kit and armour and christ knows how many pairs of boots, shoes and helmets I just need to get it out of the house…

Rone, does the kit not get a bit damp and smelly (no offence) 😉

gauss1777
    Free Member

We have a clothes pulley in our garage, it’s how we dry all our clothes in winter. That’s in balmy  Scotland.

iamtheresurrection

Fair point!

garage-dweller

I store wetsuits and the like hung up in our shed all winter. They hung for 5 months before like that last winter and seemed ok in the spring.

The trick imo is to try and space them out a bit and this winter I’m going to improve the venting under the eaves a bit as well as putting in a 30W greenhouse heater.

rone

Make sure clothes are dry before you put them away.

Airflow is key.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Storing bike clothing in a garage – is a dehumidifier enough?’ is closed to new replies.