Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Storing a bike in my van
  • seanrobertson88
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve got a small flat and 3 bikes, with my gf moving in, the bike room is transitioning into more of a spare bedroom (doesn’t make any sense to me frankly). Anyway, space is at a premium so I was wondering if anyone here has any experience keeping bikes permanently in a van.

Can they be insured? Am I asking for trouble here? It’s a full panel van so they would be pretty much invisible from the outside.

Any advice welcome,

Cheers,

Sean

revs1972
    Free Member

Can’t you just convert it into a camper for her to live in ?

😉

legend
    Free Member

Any chance of hanging the bikes on the walls? Pedalcover conver them when in car/van but out of sight, dunno if being a permanent feature would apply though

plyphon
    Free Member

Asking for trouble imo. If the worst happens then you have to claim for a van door also.

deadkenny
    Free Member

With the amount of bikes that get nicked from vans, would be a definite no for me (if I had a van). Stored in a car under cover would be more secure (insurance would insist they must be out of sight).

Vans seem easy targets or easy to break into (like sheds). House far more preferable.

larrydavid
    Free Member

Problems with condensation/rust of you store a wet bike in their over winter?

I have no idea btw, just a thought

Terrydactyl

I suggest keeping a large Alsatian dog in the van and also several lengths of chain padlocked to stout ring eyes fixed to the van, then , only then maybe OK

onehundredthidiot

Can you sacrifice some van space to build a “bike room” wheels off would take less space.

trailwagger
    Free Member

She needs to suck it up, the bikes were there first!

RustyMac

Bike room transitioning into a spare room yeah, I thought the bike room was the current main bedroom.

Do you have any outside space or attic space you could utilize for storage of bikes?

Otherwise put the 2 posh bikes on the wall in the smaller bedroom with a couple of these pedal mounts and lock the commuter in the stairwell with a big chain.

tthew

Well, as a counter argument, I do. My view is that it’s like a steel shed, alarmed and with moderately secure locks. It also keeps a couple separate from the rest so if the worst happens and the shed get broken into, there’s a couple that are unlikely to go, and vice versa.

We don’t live in an area renowned for burglary and I’ve never needed to test the insurance response to my theory however. None of them are hugely valuable either, and one of them may even have 26″ wheels! 😯

nwmlarge
    Free Member

This place is super cheap for pedal wall mounts

http://www.aplaceforeverything.co.uk/home-storage/bike-store-pedalo?ret=42

I have loads of bikes on my garage walls

seanrobertson88
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m liking the idea of mounting them on the wall and maybe keeping them in the van when they’re especially muddy.

Russell, you’re right, the bigger bedroom is the current bike workshop – this just makes sense!

nwilko
    Free Member

find a new girlfriend
    all other options are delaying tactics…

Cougar

It’ll be fine as long as you don’t tell anyone.

Er, oh.

find a new girlfriend

Buy the existing one a bike. Problem solved.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Storing a bike in my van’ is closed to new replies.