• This topic has 803 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by SnS.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 804 total)
  • Stopping smoking!!
  • LadyGresley
    Free Member

Yup, nicotine patch ready 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Carry on being awesome. Apart from Fred. Who can carry on being a ****. I’d expect nothing less

😆 Heh!

Of course if a person’s smoking is causing problems they should seek ways to either cut down or stop altogether.

But I think it places a lot of strain on someone to ‘never ever have another fag’ if they’ve bin addicted for years. No-one I know who’s ever gone ‘cold turkey’ has ever stayed off them. I think the gradually cutting down and dealing with the psychological craving aspect of smoking is far more effective (that’s the only method I’ve ever seen work).

So, what ‘m saying is don’t beat yourself up if you succumb to a crafty drag. Instead, look at it as ‘ooh, I’ve only smoked one cig today, rather than 10/20/30/40 etc’, and feel good about that. I really don’t see as how self-flagellation for even the most minor ‘transgression’ can help in the long run.

My chain-smoking high blood pressure drinks far too much not very healthy 40-a-day neighbour tried going cold turkey a few weeks ago. Lasted less than a day. Useless. I told him why not try cutting down to 35, then 30, 20, 10 etc but he was insistent he could stop altogether, suddenly. The fool.

He what not listeneth to Elfinsafety advice is very silly mayn*.

(*Ancient Hackney Proverb)

Ooh look I’ve eaten virtually an entire packet of Haribo Tangfastics in less than an hour…

I’ll not sleep now with all that sugar inside me. 😳

d45yth
    Free Member

Smoke 200 Argentinean Marlboro Lights, the resulting cough and frog in your throat will make you think WTF am I doing! They were that bad, I’m not sure if they were proper Marlboro’s or some dodgy knock-offs? It’s making me wither just thinking about them!

fenred
    Free Member

Lady G, great that’s you and I for round two tomorrow morning….post up progress please!

Any other takers??

camo16
    Free Member

Second smoke-free weekend achieved!

* puffs chest in pride, coughs up a gunky ex-smoker’s greeber, but remains proud *

Well done to my compadres – morgs, Khani, Binners et al.

Good luck to the rookies at Club Awesome, too. Go Fenred and Lady G!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

*applauds*

camo16
    Free Member

You still puckering, TJ?

It’s the last image I have before going to sleep and the first picture in my head when I wake up…

8)

binners

I think the NHS needs to be looking to our North of the Border Patriarch to front an anti-smoking campaign.

He’s proving devastatingly effective at it. Ken Clarke and his friends at British American Tobacco are going to be sending the boys up to Edinburgh at this rate 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

8)

stick_man

Have to say I strongly disagree with what Elfinsafety says.

The thread is 2 weeks old and this is exactly when the clever addictive mind starts to trick you into rewarding yourself – by having a fag. If you do that, you’re just starting to smoke again. Don’t even think about it.

A smoking addiction is very powerful and cannot be messed with. Yes, you are going to feel deprived at times but stopping completely is the way to go.

camo16
    Free Member

The thread is 2 weeks old and this is exactly when the clever addictive mind starts to trick you into rewarding yourself – by having a fag. If you do that, you’re just starting to smoke again. Don’t even think about it.

Good advice here.

We must have vigilance, muchachos…

khani
    Free Member

He’s proving devastatingly effective at it. Ken Clarke and his friends at British American Tobacco are going to be sending the boys up to Edinburgh at this rate

Bring it on.. I’ll defend TJ’s right to pucker up to the death 😈
    As long as it’s not at me……… 😯
    Re’ elfs neighbour, it sounds like he dosnt actually want to give up..knowing you should give up and actually wanting to are two different things, til you actually want to it’ll never happen…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Have to say I strongly disagree with what Elfinsafety says.

Maybe that’s cos you’ve not read my post properly.

What I’m actually talking about is the ‘forcing’ yourself to stop smoking, and feeling really bad if you do succumb to the odd crafty drag. A ‘relapse’ should not be treated as a failure of character or strength, as this just then leads to the person feeling angry/annoyed/fed-up/depressed. Which then makes them vulnerable, and more susceptible to ‘temptation’.

Instead, if you just say ‘oh well it was just the one and I can still do this’, then you’re going to be more positive about the whole thing. You won’t be suffering the whole self-loathing thing, imagining others are looking at you with disgust and contempt for being such a ‘failure’.

Instead, many people slip up, then just give up giving up, cos it then seems far too difficult.

It’s all about setting realistic personal targets, not going with some unrealisting impossible to achieve plan.

stopping completely is the way to go.

I’ve never seen it work (not to say that it does not in any way, however) for heavy smokers. I’ve only ever seen people who use the gradual reduction method ever completely stop smoking. All the cold turkeys have bin back on the fags by Christmas….

Re’ elfs neighbour, it sounds like he dosnt actually want to give up..knowing you should give up and actually wanting to are two different things, til you actually want to it’ll never happen…

TBH he’s an idiot. He was back at the docs last week complaining of feeling ill. Still drinking and smoking loads though. If he just cut down to 20 a day, and halved his alcohol intake, he’s be much better off. As it is, he’s only 65 and will probbly be dead before he’s 80.

I suggested to him he bought a bike, cos he said he used to ride. He said ‘I can’t afford a bike’. I pointed out to him that for what he spends on fags per month, he could get a nice little bike, even a decent s/h one.

But no. He’d rather drink and smoke himself to death. Not to mention continue to be a burden to the NHS…

morgs
    Free Member

come on guys, don’t turn this into a sexism thread, or a riots thread or anything like that….

this is a thread for mutual support to the AWESOME people quitting.

We will also allow completely flaming of anyone who claims to be awesome by riding a SS then having a fag.

Elfin – you are not awesome….you are a smoker. And I am not. Neither is Binners, or Khani or Camo…or numerous others on this thread.

AND WE ARE ALL MORE AWESOME THAN YOU 🙂

fenred
    Free Member

Day 1 lunchtime update…15 hours smoke free, so far so good 8)

Strategy is to use patches for the first 2 or 3 days then ‘turkey’ it out. Patches doing an awesome job with batting off the cravings but keep getting waves of feeling totally off my nut! (Perhaps I shouldn’t complain)

….Already feeling slightly smug. 😳

Just walked past a smoker colleague who had just been out for a fag…DID I REALLY SMELL THAT BAD?? Hit me like a brick! Will anonymously drop one of my 230 packs of spearmint extra on his desk!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

[cough splutter cough hack]

What?

Binners is more awesome than me?

Binners???

He’s a Northerner ffs; and as for Khani well he can’t sit naked on a slatted bench so that rules him out straight away. 🙄

No you’ve got me wrong. I wish anyone trying to give up every success.

But I’m just posting from the perspective of a ‘light’ smoker who has no intention of ‘giving up’ (tbh if I don’t want to smoke I don’t have to, I just choose to is all), and pointing out that certain totalitarian attitudes can indeed be counter-productive.

Stopping smoking won’t magically make you a better person, indeed I know some non-smokers who are preachy sanctimonious tossers when it comes to my personal choice to smoke or not **** off leave me to smoke in peace you hypocrite with yer fume-belching car and planet-raping dishwasher etc…

It may well make you fitter though, that much is true. No better reason to give up imo.

binners

I think you’ll find Fred that I am the very pinnacle of awesomeness. Bow down before my awesomeness blasphemer!!!! 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

fenred – lols – and yes you did smell like that

morgs
    Free Member

I’m a Northener and more awesome than you 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pah! Your puny Northern Awesomeness is no match for my Magnificence. It’s a step beyond Awesome, and a quality possessed only by the very best. You can but only dream of being Magnificent.

morgs
    Free Member

I think Camo, Binners, Khani et al will all agree that magnificence pales into insignificance next to awesomeness.

Now, go away. go and huddle in a doorway in the rain and smoke you coffin nail Enjoy.

cheese@4p

I’m Northern therefore I smell, but not of smoke anymore

Torminalis
    Free Member

Elf, you are reminding me of a chap I was chatting to about my forthcoming marriage. He declared himself to be an expert in marriage, after all he had been married 4 times!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh! 😆

You’re a tetchy lot, you non-smokers. Chill. Lighten up….

binners

Your magnificence is no match for the Axis of nowtiness Awesome 😉

khani
    Free Member

I’m not tetchi YOU **** BASTARD ****!! 👿 😈 NOW **** OFF!!!!!!
    and relax….. AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!! I KILL YOOOOOOO!!!!!!! 😈 👿 AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!
    elf,..he’s from hackney….say no more… 😉

camo16
    Free Member

Awesomeness Rocks!

Here’s my thoughts on Awesome vs Magnificence…

The likes of Morgs, Binners and Khani – aka the Awesome Crew – are stratospherically Awesome. They’re the real life equivalent of a Royal Flush in poker. Their fantastical effervescence simply CANNOT BE BEATEN, not even by someone who claims to have a Full House, but probably doesn’t even have Three of a Kind.

Self-declared magnificence is, well, just a bit silly by comparison. 8)

Personally, I’m proud of all the ex-smokers on this thread… Fenred (and hopefully Lady Greasley) included.

Now can we get back to this thread’s wonderous, resolve-strengthening support mandate?

* stretches out arms ready to dole out ‘you done great’ hugs on demand *

binners

Come on Fred! Join in with the group hug? Or TJ puckers up 😯

khani
    Free Member

He just wants my wood…..maybe I should rephrase that,..
    ..no’ I know what I mean 😕

khani
    Free Member

As for magnificence vs awesome, Idi Amin says he’s magnificent, Most people agree Ghandis awesome
    So HA!!! Idi…..covet my wood In all it’s awesomeness!!

Sue_W
    Free Member

As STW’s chief social science spod (self-appinted), I’ve undertaken a comprehensive systematic review of this thread and can conclude …

… Camo16, Morgs, Binners, Khani, Fenred, and Lady G have all been classified as belonging to the “Awesome” category …

… and that the “awesome” category is statistically associated with no fags …

… with the TJ puckering up variable acting as a significant causal factor 🙂

Seriously guys – keep it up. Bloody hard, but you should all be feeling really proud of yourselves!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Their fantastical effervescence simply CANNOT BE BEATEN, not even by someone who claims to have a Full House, but probably doesn’t even have Three of a Kind.

I’m not playing with a Full Deck, me. 😐

So HA!!! Idi…..covet my wood In all it’s awesomeness!!

Oooh, wood…..

No Khani don’t be nasty let me have some please. 😥

khani
    Free Member

Thanks Sue-W, at the mo I don’t feel very awesome, I feel knackered, anyone else having tired moments? Gets to afternoon and I can’t keep my eyes opzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

khani
    Free Member

I’ll save you a big piece of red oak, got a chunk about 4x10inchs by two foot long if you want it

fenred
    Free Member

No tiredness here Khani, but then I’ve drunk so much filter coffee today to substitute ‘getting away from desk for a smoke’that I don’t reckon my eyes will be closing ’til at least weds/thurs 😕

khani
    Free Member

I was buzzing on my first week, this week I’m knacked, although I’ve been out on the bike every day for a fortnight to keep me occupied, so that might have something to do with it

binners

Yep, if anything I felt a bit manic to start with, rather than tired.

Mind you, that’s not unusual 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ll save you a big piece of red oak, got a chunk about 4x10inchs by two foot long if you want it

OOOOOOHHHHH!

(Wets self with excitement)

Seriously, mate, I’d love that! And any other nice little off-cuts you might just happen to have lying around… (flutters eyelashes seductively)…

khani
    Free Member

Whimpers‘ …

morgs
    Free Member

Khani – i’ve not been so much tired, as still struggling to sleep. used to always sleep through, now waking up quite a few times in the night for no reason.

Also, MsMorgs says I snore. REALLY badly. Now, although MsMorgs is a relatively recent addition to MorgsWorld, I have never had complaints about snoring before.

Any similar complaints from your bed-partners?

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 804 total)

The topic ‘Stopping smoking!!’ is closed to new replies.