Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Stopping Smoking
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I really want to stop smoking, as im sick of the yellowing around my thumb and finger and the smell on them is disgusting, it will save me so much money. My main battle is work, if i can get through just one night of not smoking at work, I will quit for good i know it.

Don’t know if i should just stop tomoz or wait till the beginning of next week, new week and all that. I have 4 ciggies left.

I do want to go back to the times when i didn’t smoke and happily just sat their with a pint while people puffed away.

I should know better as i have seen the bad side of smoking, people with COPD at work due to the cigs and i don’t want that for me.

Im 26, so still young.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

binners – Member

You know that thing where you go into a shop and buy cigarettes, go outside and unwrap the cellophane from the box, open the box, take out the bit of folded paper, pull out a cigarette, feel the rush of anticipation, stick one end in your mouth, set light to the other end, suck in the smoke?

Don’t do that.

Woppit – you are a truly evil man

I feel the love.

butcher

I really want to stop smoking, as im sick of the yellowing around my thumb and finger and the smell on them is disgusting, it will save me so much money. My main battle is work, if i can get through just one night of not smoking at work, I will quit for good i know it.

That was my thing. I was always a heavy smoker and always felt the effects of withdrawel very quickly – they’d start within less than 45 minutes.

And because of this, and because my job requires a lot of concentration, I was convinced I couldn’t go cold turkey at work.

So I went out and bought some patches, just one day on an urge. And I’d tried patches previously, years ago and got on quite well with them – though made the mistake of having a smoke in the morning when I got up, and a smoke before bed… This time however, I found the patches done very little and so after the first day I just ditched them and took the bull by the horns.

I won’t lie…it was horendous. I hated it. Felt like I was drugged up – I suffer really badly in comparrison to the accounts I hear from other people!! But that was 6 months ago now and I’m glad I done it. It’s all worth it.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Well I managed a full hour on the bike without stopping for a cig like i normally do. Not had one yet either. I think when my minds occupied i just completely forget about cravings. But at work, we are busy from say 2000 till 0130 and then from 0130 till 0600 there is very little to do other that sit down and watch telly and answer assistance buzzers from Residents.

Maybe i need to get back in the NHS on a ward, as i was lucky if i could have time for a piss, never mind a cig.

willber
    Free Member

I smoked for about 10 years. I tried patches – didn’t work and they made me ache. I read several Allen Carr books and quit each time – only to start again within 6 months. Then I bit the bullet and had a go at an Allen Carr clinic – not cheap, but have not looked back. There have been times since I stopped where I have thought about smoking, but I cannot ever imagine a situation now where I would actually be able to smoke a single drag let alone a full cig. Something clicked when I did the course that never fully did when I read the books – I always felt that the books were trying to get you to THINK a certain way about smoking and that would make you stop. When I did the course I realised it wasn’t about making you think a certain way, it was about making you see the TRUTH about smoking. Once you see it, and understand that the truth is unchanging and it does not care about your view point – it just IS – smoking is a very difficult thing to do – for me all but impossible.

Euro
    Free Member

Keep it up bwfc.

I’ve stopped a few times in the past. No patches, gum etc, just stopped. First 3-4 days are the hardest. Tried substituting Penguin biccies for fags the first time – ended up costing more. Then used carrots which made my poo orange. I’m due to stop again soon, but need to get rid of my bag of green first.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I think I’ve finally done it! Having been a serial quitter for goodness knows how long I think I have finally found a solution that works for me. I tried Alan Carr, all nicotine replacement products and was heavily motivated by Team Awesome and the smoking thread last year. However none of it worked. At the beginning of year I tried herbal tobacco to replace the rollies and the special rollies in the evening. At first I carried on smoking the stuff as I would have done with tobacco but slowly it became less and less as all it did was make the house smell like a bonfire. It did satisfy the craving momentarily though (probably more the habit than the need for nicotine). I went away for a week with two heavy smokers and succumbed thrice but since I have been back, a few weeks now, I have smoked nothing at all, not even the good stuff. I get the odd craving but they dimish very quickly now. It seems to have also made me drink less too.

So, probably not everyone’s solution but it seems to be working for me. Honey Rose Honeyblend if anyone is interested.

…keep up the good work quitters.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’m quite liking the idea of the Honeyrose thing – what do they taste like?

mrgoll
    Free Member

The key to stopping is that you really have to want to stop otherwise you won’t.

I won’t lie…it was horendous. I hated it. Felt like I was drugged up…

I had vertigo for a week after I gave up. Could not understand people speaking and I don’t think I was all that clever speaking either. That was cold turkey method (went to bed a smoker, woke up a non smoker). Real bad shape for a week.

After explaining to people around me why I was out of it, and avoiding people who smoked while I was tender – it got better day by day. Now 18 months on brain is back to normal (without the nictoine highs), and I love being a non smoker.

Stopping smoking was the best gift I have ever been given, shame my buddy had to die of the big C – to give me that gift.

You can overcome, have faith, stay strong and do not give in. Good luck. 😉

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I’m quite liking the idea of the Honeyrose thing – what do they taste like?

Odd if I am honest and not as good as tobacco unfortunately. It tastes kind of sweetish, a bit flowery. Smells like a bonfire though. Careful with it though, I have burned more holes in my clothes than I have in all the time I have smoked. Still, I’d thoroughly recommend it to help kick the habit.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’m thinking of mixing some normal baccy in with that Honeyrose, then gradually reducing the quantity – wonder if that’ll work?

tony_m
    Free Member

I’m thinking of mixing some normal baccy in with that Honeyrose, then gradually reducing the quantity – wonder if that’ll work?

Dunno, but I suspect it’s going to be fun finding out… 🙂

trout
    Free Member

I gave up the day after I started at the age of 8 yrs old

borrowed my dads pipe and was so ill I thought I was going to die
    that was enough to make me never want to try again .

unlike beer Dad said I wont like it its an acquired taste He was right I didnt like the first few but it didnt put me off trying more 😛

Squidlord
    Free Member

World’s smallest nicotine addict:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm31xBjfMNY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Well its over 24 hours and i have had two. Helped by the sudden announcement that my smoking partner at work has quite. Which came as a shock, as she smoked like a chimney.

She’s on patches, i just think thats prolonging the agony.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Bought some Honeyrose baccy today – it doesn’t taste anywhere near as bad as I feared. In actual fact it doesn’t really have much taste at all. I hope this plan works!

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m at about week 10 now. Went cold turkey, after week 4 the cravings stopped. Had a pang at week 8 but just ignored it.
    I found drinking water (the colder the better) really helped with the cravings and just keeping calm and thinking about it instead of being panicked and thinking I needed one.
    I’m convinced it’s done now. I don’t like the smell of them, it doesn’t cross my mind to buy any and the thought of inhaling smoke seems daft to me. I’m also liking having so much money to play with.
    Good luck and just keep plodding. The days soon turn into weeks.

Squidlord
    Free Member

after week 4 the cravings stopped

😡
    Got a bit drunk last night, and was bouncing off the walls wanting a smoke. Took one of my emergency only Nicorette lozenges which took the edge off. First nicotine I’d had in 11 days. Now I feel like I’m back on day 2 or 3. NRT really isn’t for me I think.
    I obviously have to give up drinking also.

wrecker
    Free Member

You didnt smoke though did you? Give yourself a little reward for that (not a fag!) you deserve it.
    Keep thinking like this, small goals and rewards for doing well.
    NRT can work but it really does prolong the process IMO. If you think you can, try to go without it.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Ooh, that’s a result already – having been smoking the herbal mixed with a tiny bit of real baccy since lunchtime, I thought I’d treat myself to a “real” rollie before bed, and I’ve had two drags on it and put it out! I don’t like it! Woo hoo 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

When you are gagging for one, just tell yourself that “this shall pass” and the cravings will eventually, it may take a little bit of time, but they will go 🙂

Squidlord
    Free Member

Yeah, best thing I read was that all cravings pass after 5-10 minutes regardless. This is true. Except after most of a bottle of red wine…

LadyGresley
    Free Member

That’s now 8 days of the Honeyrose stuff – the first few days I did mix in some real baccy, but the last few days it’s just been Honeyrose – so I guess I’m off nicotine now, and no reason really to keep smoking the Honeyrose, apart from out of habit?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Good stuff m’lady. I keep a packet with me for emergencies. Not needed it yet.

Hohum
    Free Member

Well done Lady G.

Keep up the good work 🙂

LadyGresley
    Free Member

This weekend is, I think, the time to ditch the Honeyrose – then I’ll be totally clean 🙂

tony_m
    Free Member

This weekend is, I think, the time to ditch the Honeyrose – then I’ll be totally clean 🙂

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Quit smoking after several attempts, some of which even lasted a couple of years! Social breaks at work were the worst. Finally cut mu smoking down to 20 a week, but they were all smoked between 7 and 11pm on a monday night playing pool! Eventually quit pool for 4 years while back at uni, and never missed them. Even back playing now and still dont miss them, been 8 years now! Good luck fella…

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Update – I’m still off the cigs – so that’s been, errrm, two or three or four weeks now 🙂
    How’s other folks doing?

donsimon
    Free Member

Excellent stuff… Keep it up.

mrdestructo

I’ve had unfortunate experiences with stopping smoking. Going cold turkey in the past has always been the most effective. But you need a time slot to do it in and personal issues can get in the way.

Patches: I sweat too much, they fall off
    Lozenges: white crap round the lips
    Gum: hmm, I think there’s a corellation with fillings/crowns loosening over time
    Zyban: almost lost my job. Jaw chattering, couldn’t stop talking, vision affected. Many stories of zyban/champix psychosis (and some deaths)

Tried vaping? Electronic cigarettes, just use lessening nicotine strength oils over time and then go cold turkey when you feel ready. In the meantime you’re cutting out the majority of the cancer causing stuff, don’t smell like an ashtray, can vape indoors the majority of places. If we assume it’s part nicotine addiction, part social addiction, then it’s a quandary with vaping because you’re playing with your hands, breathing in on the unit and then blowing out smoke.

http://ukvapers.com/forum/44-new-user-questions/ FAQ’s questions on vaping.

Basic kit from UK dealers that imo ‘works’:

http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=98 quality ego-t passthrough unit. battery lasts 6-9 months perhaps.
    http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=165 vision clearomisers – wash once a week and last 1-2 months
    http://www.thebestecigarette.co.uk/e-liquid/e-liquid-refil cheap Dekang oil. I use 3-4ml a day.

nealglover
    Free Member

Tried vaping? Electronic cigarettes, just use lessening nicotine strength oils over time and then go cold turkey when you feel ready. In the meantime you’re cutting out the majority of the cancer causing stuff,

You are actually cutting out All of the cancer causing stuff :mrgreen:

Happy days.

donsimon
    Free Member

But you need a time slot to do it in and personal issues can get in the way.

It generally takes less than a minute to quit, I guess the time slot you’re refering to is nothing more than an excuse. 😛

mrdestructo

donsimon
    Free Member

May I suggest you do a bit of research before jumping on the “troll” bandwagon?
    There are lots of people who understand the addiction and simply put out the last cigarette. That’s it. No fuss. No drama.
    If you’d rather believe the marketing men who tell you it’s difficult and you’ll never succeed without product A,B or C.
    But hey, what would I know? I only gave up ten or so years agono withdrawal symptoms, no cravings (just like many others).

Have you tried snake oil? I believe that might work.

wrecker
    Free Member

4 months smoke free for me. 😀

mrdestructo

don_simon I already stated cold turkey is the best method.

However, I’m sure many people here will agree that the first month is hell and the risk to employment and relationships is to consider.

You seem to be giving out advice to just go cold turkey and everything will be okay. The snake oil here is you acting like a revival preacher and leaving a trail of devestation in your wake with no responsibility.

donsimon
    Free Member

The snake oil here is you acting like a revival preacher and leaving a trail of devestation in your wake with no responsibility.

Bless you sweetheart, that’s possibly the least informed thing anyone’s ever said to me.
    I have to assume you’ve not read the thread, so I’ll give you this for free. You’ve got a far greater chance of stopping and staying stopped when you understand the addiction than you do with replacing one addiction with another.
    What you’ve stated are simply excuses to start smoking when the going gets a little rough.
    Going cold turkey isn’t the answer either.
    Understanding is.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

I’ve had unfortunate experiences with stopping smoking. Going cold turkey in the past has always been the most effective. But you need a time slot to do it in and personal issues can get in the way.

always the most effective?? Not sure how always and effective work in the same sentence about quitting.
    I gave up nearly five months ago now. Have to agree with don (although Alan Carr didn’t do it for me) it was getting my head ready that worked, my way was; No excuses, just get it done. Then it will be over far sooner than patch/placebo prolongation. I imagined it as a hangover and realised I’d would be over soon, and sure enough, with far less stress than I imagined, it was.

Each to their own though. Still really pleased with myself. Saved four hundred quid too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Everyone’s different don. What somebody really needs when he is giving up is a smartarse telling him that he’s just some marketing man’s shmuck. That really helps. Lots. 🙄

You need to step back from the site for a bit tbh matey. The last few days have seen you get into row after row after row.

Unless that’s what you’re here for. 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Stopping Smoking’ is closed to new replies.