Stopped using social media yesterday

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Stopped using social media yesterday
  • Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Care to enlighten me then Drac or just post little pictures to try and make me feel small?

It’s the same thing.

nerd

Well, I did it before you. Ner ner *ner* ner ner.
    (3 years ago when I was fed up of the Brexit bollocks, and realised I didn’t really have any friends anyway).
    This place used to be different. 🙂

wordnumb

*giggles audibly*

OK maybe you are struggling to form a coherent argument to back up your claim that “its the same thing”. Heres why I don’t think its the same. You can read it and respond with your side, or you can post another little picture or comment in an attempt to make me feel or look stupid.

On social media, you’re doing all of the talking. You’re publishing content-images, videos, eBooks, infographics, white papers, and more-and trying to generate engagement with your fans and followers. It is mostly a one way system or flow of information.

On a social network, you are interacting with friends/followers and attempting to grow and nourish your network of followers. Its very much a talk/listen or two way flow of information.

Forums are a not like either of those. You post a topic and other member of the forum join in with the conversation and provide insight/comments/advice etc. You have no control over who is a member of the group and who gets to see or comment on your topic. Forums have no built in mechanisms to grow or control your own “group” of users or followers.

***edit, I would be interested in hearing footflaps ideas.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Forums are a not like either of those. You post a topic and other member of the forum join in with the conversation and provide insight/comments/advice etc. You have no control over who is a member of the group and who gets to see or comment on your topic. Forums have no built in mechanisms to grow or control your own “group” of users or followers.

They’re exactly like those. Facebook can have closed groups for you and your mates or open groups so anyone can comment. Forums can be closed or open too.

They’re are the same media.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

On social media, you’re doing all of the talking

You’re doing social media wrong – it’s not a publishing platform.

Premier Icon Daffy
    Subscriber

I stopped using Facebook and Twitter in 2010. I still have accounts, but don’t often post. I think the last thing I posted was in 2016 after the results of the referendum.

This place barely qualifies as “social” media.

You have no control over who is a member of the group and who gets to see or comment on your topic

You’re doing forums wrong – ban him!

You’re doing social media wrong – it’s not a publishing platform.

Social media is a publishing platform, I suspect you are confusing that with a social network like facebook, twitter etc.

This place barely qualifies as “social” media.

I like to think it’s more like a text based adventure game.

You wait. Time passes

Perchy sits down and starts singing about gold.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

/Hit Perchy with frying pan.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

I stopped using Facebook and Twitter in 2010. I still have accounts, but don’t often post

yes I’ve quit smoking loads of time too it’s easy

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I like to think it’s more like a text based adventure game.

You wait. Time passes

That’s pretty much how I view the chat forum (poke dragon with stick and see what happens). The bike forum is basically my version of google or a virtual LBS.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

I put on my robe and wizard hat

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

We have been here before I believe. Wikipedia (i know i know) says:

The variety of evolving stand-alone and built-in social media services makes it challenging to define them. However, marketing and social media experts broadly agree that social media includes the following 13 types of social media: blogsbusiness networks, collaborative projects, enterprise social networksforumsmicroblogsphoto sharingproducts/services reviewsocial bookmarkingsocial gamingsocial networksvideo sharing, and virtual worlds.

The idea that social media are defined simply by their ability to bring people together has been seen as too broad, as this would suggest that fundamentally different technologies like the telegraph and telephone are also social media.

[19]The terminology is unclear, with some early researchers referring to social media as social networks or social networking services in the mid 2000s. A more recent paper from 2015 reviewed the prominent literature in the area and identified four common features unique to then-current social media services:

1. Social media are Web 2.0 Internet-based applications.
    2. User-generated content (UGC) is the lifeblood of the social media organism.
    3. Users create service-specific profiles for the site or app that are designed and maintained by the social media organization.
    4. Social media facilitate the development of online social networks by connecting a user’s profile with those of other individuals or groups.<

In 2016, Merriam-Webster defined social media as “forms of electronic communication (such as Web sites) through which people create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, etc.

Hit Perchy with frying pan.

Drac has given Perchy a vicious bruise

Perchy squawks and collapses on the ground.

Perchy shrieks and runs away, screaming “We hates it…we hates it…. the tricksy Dracses”

i gave up facebook for 5 months last summer, i said to the missus i can give up for 2 weeks, but i’m logging back on when the drug dealer who got shot on a nearby motorway went to court..

anyway it was easy, and i’ve decided i need to give up facebook again, since downloading the latest iphone software it tells me how much time you spend on different apps..

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

On social media, you’re doing all of the talking. You’re publishing content-images, videos, eBooks, infographics, white papers, and more-and trying to generate engagement with your fans and followers. It is mostly a one way system or flow of information.

On a social network, you are interacting with friends/followers and attempting to grow and nourish your network of followers. Its very much a talk/listen or two way flow of information.

Television is exactly the same as radio because I watch it with my eyes closed.

I think that this is simply what you are doing. It’s not necessarily representative of what everyone else is doing.

I have discussions on Twitter. On Facebook I’m a member of a number of closed groups where I have no control over the membership. On both I read and comment on posts friends make, and vice versa. (If people only ever “published” and no-one was reading it’d be kinda pointless, no?) Plenty of forums have closed areas only available to subsets of members.

Arguing between “social media” and a “social network” is kinda moot. Social media is ipso facto the medium upon which one builds a social network, you may as well argue that newspapers aren’t news because it’s on paper.

I use Facebook socially. I use Twitter socially. I use the STW forum socially. I use Mono (a BBS) socially. Suggesting that one is “social media” and another isn’t is surely nothing more than a desire to apply arbitrary labels to something so as not to appear silly when announcing that you’ve just quit social media, on social media. (-:

Hell, going to the pub with your mates is a form of social media, you’re exchanging views and information – socially – by the medium of face-to-face conversation.

fooman

Social Media vs Social Network?

Sounds like an Enduro Bike vs All Mountain Bike argument!

Personally I’d tar them all with the same brush (including forums) as they all have the same business model – get users to generate the content that keeps other users engaged, then monetize their activity.

footflaps

Personally I’d tar them all with the same brush (including forums) as they all have the same business model – get users to generate the content that keeps other users engaged, then monetize their activity.

You mean you’re not getting paid? Well well, I thought everyone was getting a monthly cheque from STW Towers….

Hell, going to the pub with your mates is a form of social media, you’re exchanging views and information – socially – by the medium of face-to-face conversation.

But that’s not social media, that’s social networking. By its very definition Media is a broadcast or publishing of information to the masses.

A lot of what you are talking about in your post is social networking, where person is interacting within a relatively small group or network.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

This is the OED link for Social Media:

https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/social-media

shall we assume they understand what it means?

mickmcd

Are you about to launch a bike brand?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

By its very definition Media is a broadcast or publishing of information to the masses.

By your definition. Media is the plural of medium, here’s what Google has to say (emphasis mine):

Dictionary result for medium
    /ˈmiːdɪəm/
    noun
    noun: medium; plural noun: media; plural noun: mediums
    an agency or means of doing something.
    “using the latest technology as a medium for job creation”
    synonyms: means of communication, means/mode of expression, means, method, way, form, agency, channel, forum; More
    a means by which something is communicated or expressed.
    “here the Welsh language is the medium of instruction”
    synonyms: means of communication, means/mode of expression, means, method, way, form, agency, channel, forum; More

By your definition.

No, by the OED definition.

The main means of mass communication (broadcasting, publishing, and the Internet) regarded collectively.

But hey ho. I don’t think any of the terms are well defined anywhere, which is why I said this is my view if it. There are lots of grey areas and crossover with platforms like FB. Its primarily a social network, but has elements of social media within it. Same for twitter, insta etc. You tube I see differently, that’s a social media platform with elements of social networking ie, its a one way broadcast, but you can comment and follow and like etc.

Forums for me, fall outside of social media and as I said are more like social networks. We are not publishing to the masses, we are interacting within a closed group of people with similar interests.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

Not in my mind. If anything they are closer to a social network

Hang on… Wasn’t there a film about some sort of “social network”?

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

A forum is a type of social media, its just been about a bit longer than FB and twitter…

They both achieve the same basic thing at the end of the day bait you into pointless arguments with strangers and trick you into sharing your data or buying things you don’t need.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

This catchphrase? Why yes, yes it is…

Plus first-post-put-down effect, its weapons-grade.

Plus first-post-put-down effect,

I was appalled.

That’s my slot.

redthunder

Don’t use Facebook any more.
    Use Instagram because Flickr is Poo.

I’ve quit myspace what do I win?

redthunder

I have quit using the USENET, do I win anything as well?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Why, did it irk you?

fossy

Binned off facebook over 6 months ago -really don’t want anyone to know what I’m doing… or their bad choices – it’s been great. My family now use more secure ‘family only’ groups.

alpin

Can’t remember the last time I logged on to Facebook…. Think it must have been back in December. I might log on every few months and then realise that I’ve missed invitations to parties and gigs. Although those invitations generally come from folks 40+.

Toward the end of last year (Oct – Dec) I was jetting about doing two or three jobs for Facebook a month. Either at political gatherings (ALDE in Madrid…. Some right freaks there!), at journo gatherings and at the HQs in Brussels, Berlin and Dublin. Oh, and two for the European Parliament.

Generally Facebook trying to convince people that they are a force for good and how their algorithms prevent the twisting of facts, but oddly also seminars on how to spot twisted facts. At the European Parliament they were handing out a load of material which included how to increase your number of followers and how to take great pics for Instagram.

A lot of it seemed quite desperate.

And they are generally a pain to deal with. You get the feeling that it is run by adolescents.

When asking for a decision to be made I got this as a response: “I won’t have time tomorrow. I only get one lunch break”

How many lunch breaks do you need?

alpin

Oddly though, I, and many of my mates, are using Instagram.

Oh, and according to one of the Facebook girls, you’ll be getting targeted ads on your WhatsApp soon. And they will start charging for the app.

Might be time to switch to Telegram or some such.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

And they will start charging for the app.

Only for businesses.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Stopped using social media yesterday

judging by this thread I bet there are a few relieved “social media” users. are you TJ from a few years ago?

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

I use this forum and that’s it, never saw the point of Facebook/myspace/instagram/twitter/whatsapp/narcissistsrus or whatever else is out there however i do sometimes send a txt with my phone…..sent 3 in the last week (two to my mum and one to my brother so i guess I’m a heavy user and should take a long hard look at where my life is going.

On a more serious note it bugs the tits off me to sit wi folk who are constantly podging away at a screen whilst in company.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.