Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Stopped using social media yesterday
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

What the hell do you do with your time? I must have been spending hours a day staring at pictures of nothing and tweeting my displeasure at Donald Trump, It was turning me into a bad person and I was putting my phone first before reading a book.  I’m starting to think i’m going to get emails from Facebook etc. asking if i’m ok

Anybody else pulled the plug on these time wasters *

* I have kept Reddit on, but who doesn’t like a cute puppy videos?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And yet here you are…

😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

**Likes***

Glad you came in to share that news 😉

Drac

Retweeted.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I don’t think you know what social media is.

bikebouy
    Free Member

And yet here you are…

+1

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And yet here you are…

Well you can tweet about dropping facebook, instagram leaving twitter but when you quit em all you just need to tell somebody!!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yeah, what if you left and nobody noticed.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have someone else do my social-media for me these days.

It allows me to keep in touch with people in this digital age whilst I spend my days preaching over a latte about how technology is disrupting the fabric of society.

<leans back and twists mustache>

footflaps

Ironing

Gunz
    Free Member

I’ve long held the opinion that, despite received wisdom, the current middle aged population is best placed to make the most of the internet and social media. We’re young enough to understand and use it technically but old enough to realise how corrosive and full of bo####ks it can be. I gave up most of it a couple of years ago and it made precisely no difference to life.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

That backfired, but I can see how it may have come across as humble-bragging a bit

jimster01

I also quit Faceache yesterday, got fed up with the news feed about Brexit and Corbyn and all other such crap that I couldn’t influence.

jimmy

I was putting my phone first before reading a book.

This is a great reason – I’ve read more books in the past year than for a long time before then due to reduced facebook time. I started logging myself out and asking MsJimmy to change my password so I couldn’t get back in. Could just deactivate my account but its embarrassing the number of times I did and lasted a week…

I’m starting to think i’m going to get emails from Facebook etc. asking if i’m ok

They’re cheeky b*stards. You do start getting emails saying “look what Your Mates are up to!”. However, anyone I actually care about I’ll hear from directly. Didn’t take long to realise that.

cookeaa

Faceache

It’s worth destroying all of the interweb for good if I don’t have to hear another middle-aged person (normally nudging 50?) call it “Faceache”…
    Well done you’ve described a modern day thing, using the vernacular of your own Grandparents, thus the cycle of inter-generational cliches rolls on…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Turned off notifications on my phone apart from messaging and moved the most time consuming apps off the front page and replaced it with stuff i want easily (strava for being able to start it with the minimum of clicks with gloved hands, spotify and satnav for in the car, etc).

Realised that actually facebook takes 5 minutes to scan through when bored, and STW actually isn’t all that interesting, e-mails are 99% spam. You could probably run a medium sized business in the time some people spend doing nothing but consuming data on their phone.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

…but I can see how it may have come across as humble-bragging a bit

Hey, it’s TSY’s Social Media Secretary here. He’s just spat his craft ale out (we’ve moved to the local ‘Tap House’) and is guffawing so violently I can only infer that he thinks it’s ridiculous that you’re conversing with people socially online whilst on your social media hiatus. Thanks, Jemima x

perchypanther
    Free Member

Well done you’ve described a modern day thing, using the vernacular of your own Grandparents, thus the cycle of inter-generational cliches rolls on…

That’s why I call it CouponJotter.

trailwagger
    Free Member

And yet here you are…

But forums and social media are different things

Cougar

It’s worth destroying all of the interweb for good if I don’t have to hear another middle-aged person (normally nudging 50?) call it “Faceache”…

Do you read it using Windoze?

jimster01

Trouble is Facebook wasn’t around when my grandparents were, but yep 55 next week.

hooli

I suspect the conversations we are having now about phones and social media were also happening a generation ago but with television, a generation before that about newspapers etc.

I see it as no different to cigarettes, booze, drugs or anything else. I quite enjoy a pint with mates after a night ride, it doesn’t mean I should have one with my corn flakes in the morning.

footflaps

But forums and social media are different things

naive

Drac

I see it as no different to cigarettes, booze, drugs or anything else. I quite enjoy a pint with mates after a night ride, it doesn’t mean I should have one with my corn flakes in the morning.

Ay?

batfink
    Free Member

That’s why I call it CouponJotter.

I believe “confuser” is the proper dad-joke terminology

deadkenny
    Free Member

Trouble is Facebook wasn’t around when my grandparents were, but yep 55 next week.

Facebook is more of an old folks thing now anyway. The kids have bogged off elsewhere to get away from their parents and the uncoolness of Facebook.

I still use FB, mainly to keep my parents and family updated with photos and things rather than use pain in the backside email. Keeps them from ringing to check if I’m alive too if they haven’t heard from me 😀 (or vice versa if I haven’t posted for a while because I’ve stacked it somewhere).

Other thing is ride organisation. Though that’s shifted more towards messaging apps (finally got the majority off SMS!), but that has resulted in rides being more of a clique thing, whereas on Facebook it’s more inclusive. On the other hand FB rides can be a bit random who turns up or may risk a massive group when you weren’t expecting it.

I like Instagram for following interesting stuff going on, and that people can’t put long tedious “sick” videos of head cam footage, less likely to have some vidsplaining techniques or latest diary of a visit to another place everyone’s been to anyway.

hooli

Ay?

That’s odd, the last paragraph didn’t show?

Anyway, it said something along the lines of social media is no different. It can be very useful and enjoyable, you just need an element of self control.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

STW actually isn’t all that interesting

And yet, here you are…

😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

And yet, here you are…

This catchphrase? Why yes, yes it is…

whitestone
    Free Member

The difference between forums and social media is that the former are not deliberately designed to be addictive in the way that FB, Twitter et al are. Conflating the two is an error.

I’ve Twitter and LinkedIn accounts but they are essentially moribund as I haven’t used either for four years or so. The last time I was on LinkedIn was to turn off all the notifications I was getting pestered with.

trailwagger
    Free Member

There is a difference between naivety and curiosity. Just like there is a difference between forums, social media, and social networks. Just because they all exist on the internet doesnt make them all social media.

jekkyl

What do you want Op?….a medal?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This catchphrase? Why yes, yes it is…

perchypanther
    Free Member

This gif of Flashy throwing a punch? Why yes, yes it is……

*note to self: find appropriate similar panther based gif

Drac

Just because they all exist on the internet doesnt make them all social media.

But forums are social media.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😂

perchypanther
    Free Member

trailwagger
    Free Member

But forums are social media.

Not in my mind. If anything they are closer to a social network, in that they are all about interaction between OP and others commenting on a thread. Whereas social media is more of a one way communication where the user shares there own content/media with their followers/fans/friends.
    Although the forum is closer to a social network it still isnt one as you cannot follow/freind people and build up a network of followers.

Drac

Not in my mind.

Ah that’s Ok then.

If anything they are closer to a social network

🤦🏻‍♂️

trailwagger
    Free Member

Care to enlighten me then Drac or just post little pictures to try and make me feel small?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Stopped using social media yesterday’ is closed to new replies.