Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Stopped by MUD!
  • stoney
    Free Member

Now then… i don`t mean riding into a bog or thick gloopy stuff and getting stuck. I mean Mud mud that has actually stopped the wheels moving…..

Yesterday afternoon, coming down Latrigg. A cheeky trail through the trees only to find the logging machins have been in….a fairly steep descent following massive catterpiller track ruts. Quite enjoyable they were, jumping over logs and branches etc and only covering the brakes for control…with thick sticky mud flying everywhere…Only to find the bike slowing a little, i released the brake levers and still slowed… so a few pedal strokes were in order which made no difference at all. Looking down i can only describe what was a small football sized clump of mud jammed aginst the rear seat stay tube and round the front mech/ bottom bracket, totally jamming the rear wheel 😯

Any one ever had this ❓ bearing in mind we were oing down a reaonable gradient……..

And didnt have the camera to take a shot!!!!! 🙄

Vortexracing

Yip, on a STW ride last year round Yorkshire.

Had a new fork, a Reba on my Cotic Soul and a 2.25 Maxxis advantage on the front, stopped the front wheel dead.

But so did Junkyard and Mrs Flash, but they has mud jamming on the rear. (yankee bikes)

not much you an do except dig it out ride 100yrds and dig it out again 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

(yankee bikes)

Too right – they don't design them to allow for this, because they don't have mud in America.

Of course I had the experience of getting stopped by mud build up whilst riding in Utah 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coatesy
    Free Member

Had an Orange O with quite a bit of mud clearance do this many years back, had to scrape it clear with a stick before I could carry on.Not just Americans that were susceptible to Cardiff's clay soil.

PeteG55
    Free Member

My SC VPFree last summer, kind of takes the fun out of DH when that happens.

Hip
    Free Member

Not totally jammed, but not far off…

schmiken

I had a similar thing (as did many others!) at the Tunstall round of the Winter series this year….

mr_stru

Ah, brings back happy memories of Sleepless and Mayhem.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

My partner had her Stumpy completely jammed in the Alps earlier this year. She made it about 1/3 of the way down the Venosc descent at Deux Alps before the clay jammed both the rear wheel and the cranks. Mine fared slightly better in that at least everything kept turning.

scaredypants

Of course I had the experience of getting stopped by mud build up whilst riding in Utah 🙄

Yeh, southern California in July for me (crazy idea, trying to ride after light drizzle)

james
    Free Member

"not much you an do except dig it out ride 100yrds and dig it out again"
    I find pushing briefly pushing the bike backwards often (but not always) helps better at getting the wheel rolling

Spud

Sounds like SiTS 2008!

squattingmouse
    Free Member

An old photo but somewhere near Exeter…

donsimon
    Free Member

?

stoney
    Free Member

That looks about right Hip……

Tiger6791

What like this, due to straw and stuff in the mud binding it together the wheels wouldn't even turn!

ebygomm
    Free Member

This can be a fairly frequent occurrence if you ride in certain parts of Nottinghamshire, often you can't even push the bikes through it as the wheels just jam in about 10m.

cxi
    Free Member

Did somebody mention Mountain Mayhem?

IMG_3423 by *ChrisB*, on Flickr

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, I used to get this pretty much every winter where I live. This summer I splashed out on some zippy fast summer tyres (Small Block Eights – which are great) only for it to lash it down for the last month. Sigh.

swamp_boy

Local clay round here is pretty bad, especially just after harvest when there's all the bits of straw binding it. It can be like trying to ride on ice with a big brown pair of slicks, until everything jams up and its a case of carrying the bike. Its usually about this time I get a puncture. Horrible.

grahamh
    Free Member

I give you "The Field of Doom"

Scootash
    Free Member

Standard occurence in south Cambridge. Brighton Big Dog was the same. I'm surprised this is even comment worthy, I would have assumed this happens to everyone 10 times a year.

stoney
    Free Member

I would have assumed this happens to everyone 10 times a year. 😉

Saturday was my first time 8)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Happens alot in yorkshire too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Stopped by MUD!’ is closed to new replies.