Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Stop me buying a NEW motorbike (tenere 700)
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

You’re welcome to ask anything. We’ve been here nearly 4 years and our only regret is that we didn’t do it years ago. It’s a great area for all outdoor activities, has a mild climate and property isn’t expensive. I race mountainbikes and do quite a bit of bikepacking, MrsPB is into running and triathlon. We can do all this virtually from the door and the biggest plus for us is the area doesn’t suffer from the Brits abroad tag.PM me and I’ll send you my contact details.

hooja
    Free Member

Pm sent, cheers

coppice
    Free Member

so…

Merak

I sold my Ten earlier this year. Just 3800 miles from new it was immaculate.

Just couldn’t enjoy it, so I bought an old Transalp from the 90’s instead.:)

So did you get one hooja?

coppice
    Free Member

I’ve just finished putting my ’98 600 Transalp back together but keep getting tempted by Beta Alp 200’s and KTM 990 ADV’s

stanley

Re the Tenere 700,
    I thought I wanted one too… but having ridden one (briefly), I’ve changed my mind. Visited the ABR festival a couple of weeks ago and queued up for almost two hours to get on the test ride list. The test ride was about 15 mins off road and 30 mins on road. The engine is an absolute belter but the bike as a package was disappointing. Off road the clutch was heavy and difficult to feather; on road the bike was very snatchy at low revs (definitely would need a remap). The whole bike creaked and felt cheap after only 3000km (Test ride miles I admit). It just felt adequate at best. I decided not to put a deposit down.
    I’m coming at this from riding enduros (250 + 450), rallies (450+690) and 10k per year on a 1200 GSA… so quite a broad range! Funnily enough, I’ve got an Urban G/S similar to the one posted earlier… great bike on the road! 🙂

augustuswindsock

Lovely bike, what is it?
    A tenner
    Bloody hell that’s cheap, I’ll have one?
    sorry – igmc!

Merak

Any pics @coppice?

mm93
    Free Member

So ,did anyone get one? Or anyone else test ride one ?
    I’m in the considering for next year camp and haven’t ridden one yet but can’t stop looking at these.

kayla1
    Free Member

A tenner

à la Matt Berry/Toast for full effect.

tjagain

Can anyone explain to me the appeal of these fake offroad “tall tourers”?

I have ridden ages ago a super tenere and a BMW GS – both I found the riding position really uncomfortable, slow for the engine size and poor handling from the high COG. the bike I had at the time was a BMW RS

Obviously loads of folk love them but I do not get it..

kilo

I’ve had a few (R100gs, two varederos – one was a work bike) found them comfortable being over six feet tall – on the work varedero i would be out on it all day, good visibility in traffic and in the lanes, handle fine and plenty of stomp if not outright speed (although the varedero would show 130 on the clock) . If I was commuting big mileage I’d definitely consider one. There’s obviously quite a lot of bs pr around them but they still can be capable bikes.

tjagain

it was the parachute riding position I found uncomfortable along with too much weight on the backside!

Obviously I am in a minority as BMW no longer make an RS – ie small full fairing and tucked riding position

fasthaggis

Everything that Kilo said.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just because even mentioning Harley Davidson is akin to trolling some people, I want this (but probably won’t be able to afford it).

birky
    Free Member

Obviously I am in a minority as BMW no longer make an RS – ie small full fairing and tucked riding position

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/models/sport/r1250rs.html

tjagain

Ah – I didn’t realise they had started again making RS models

kilo

Had an r1100rs, crossed Spain and then back over the Pyrenees on it with the then girlfriend on pillion- exceptionally capable bike, like a vfr for the slightly larger rider!

mm93
    Free Member

Tjagain- the tenere appeals to me because it is a has the 700 twin engine that has proved to be reliable flexible,fun,economical and it supposedly has genuine off road ability.
    I haven’t ridden an adventure bike myself but as I like road bikes and have had a lifetime obsession with anything two wheeled that goes off road. I’m thinking this could be a good all rounder to go to work on, do a bit of touring,and ride some green lanes etc .
    I’m getting too old for Motocross/ enduro now.
    I currently have an mt09 and my other thought is to swop this for a used tracer 700/900 and get a small trail bike – crf250l or similar for green lanes but wonder are there actually enough green lanes to even justify a trail bike any more? (Peak District)

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Popped into the local Yamaha dealer near Tarragona about 4 weeks ago, they had a sold one awaiting collection which I was allowed to sit on. It’s bigger than I’d expected and fit me pretty well, I’m 5’11” with 34″ leg and could plant both feet well.Called in again 2 days ago, they now have a demo bike and I’m on a long list of people wanting to try it. Seems the waiting list is about 12 months so I’d better get saving.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That Harley Davidson ^^ looks like proper shite.

Why on earth design something so ugly?

hooja
    Free Member

Well… I ended up buying one and have had it now since early September. 2500 miles so far, with a considerable amount of those off-road.
    I also do not see the appeal of these tall “fake” off-roaders tj, hence getting a bit excited about the potential of the T7 at concept.
    Turns out it’s a belter and as close to a useable off-road tourer as you can get, along with the 790r
    Yes, for true off-road a proper enduro is light years ahead in performance and suitability but so far, the T7 is pretty damn good and genuinely good fun off road, whilst still being fine for 300+miles a day getting to where you want to be.
    It’s also hilarious on twisty B roads and shaping up to be the best all round, grin inducing bike I’ve ever ridden/owned.
    Can’t really fault it, it gets better the more I ride it
    Yes the initial throttle is a little snatchy, a bit of tweaking has solved that nearly and a remap, when available should reduce it further. But to be fair, it’s not really a problem.
    It would be nice if it was a tad lighter but at what cost?
    It’s pretty easy to get it to sub 200kg wet
    It’s pretty damn good out of the box but it’s also clear Yamaha fully intended to produce something to a certain budget, that they knew folk would modify to their specific needs.
    Mine is already well on its way to becoming a stripped back off-road adventure tool
    Bloomin love it

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Hooja,how’s the escape plan going? We’re taking bookings for next spring if you fancy a fact finding trip.

mm93
    Free Member

Sounds great hooja, I definitely need to get a ride on one. Hopefully there might be a second hand market come spring.

hooja
    Free Member

Definitely test one! Bare in mind, when you get used to it though, it feels much lighter and waaaay more capable!
    I was holding out for a second hand market initially, just decided that I couldn’t wait any longer for the sake of a few hundred quid

hooja
    Free Member

@pistonbroke thanks… only just spotted your last pm sorry!
    Looks like next time in Spain will be a ride down to the alpujarras to meet the family at Easter and back via Pyrenees but doubt I’ll make it over as far as yours. You are definitely in my list to book a few nights at some point though for recce and ride
    Cheers

lank45
    Free Member

I’ve ended up with one… well two if we are being picky! One for me and one for my dad, chopped in an 800GS and 1200 Tenere and so far very very happy!

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Stop me buying a NEW motorbike (tenere 700)’ is closed to new replies.