Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • STOP EVERYTHING! STW HAS A CHOCOLATIER AS A MEMBER!
  • Jamie
    Free Member

I thought they only existed in the movies….and Lindt commercials!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/christmas-tips-for-your-postperson#post-4432541

Bregante

bruneep

aye there has been a few chocolates on here for years. 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I read that.

*adds somafunk to list of useful friends*

He’s always been my favourite forumite you know.

druidh
    Free Member

Choclatiers? You do know that they are partially responsible for Obese Britain?

I class them with Macdonalds, Costa and Greggs.

somafunk

Ha-ha….They do exist and i’ve been working as one for the past 6 odd years….but i left the job 8 weeks ago to work for a mate who owns and ran a small bike shop on his own for the past two years as he needed the help and anyway…..I was getting kinda fed up doing the same job 5-6 days a week for the past 6 years even if it was working wi chocolate and fillings and other willy wonka stuff, nae oompa-loompas though – they’re just fantasy but i did have a gaggle of 4 girls, all around 21ish who were a good laugh to work with.

I used to work as a speciality chocolatier at The Cocoa Bean Co on the A75 between Castle Douglas and Kirroughtree, i’m sure many folk on here have stopped in on their way or return from the trails at Kirroughtree, i made 130 odd different types of filled chocs with all varieties of chocolate from 90% speciality, single source cocoa beans (boutique) dark chocolate to your bog standard white chocolate that i do not consider to be a chocolate as the cocoa content is less than 30% and white chocolate is for kids only imho. I preferred the single source milk and dark chocolate to work with as i could get a mirror/shiny finish on my chocs, I still help them out when they need it as i was Claire’s first employee really, she started it in her garage as a hobby 8 years ago and it’s grown massively over the past few years to a purpose built factory and workshop, It’s xmas season and we make for Harrods, Boots, Waitrose, John Lewis group, Royal Yacht Britannia, Debenhams, upmarket delis etc..etc..and probably just about every other big retailer you can name so it’s kinda hectic out there at the moment and as i only work a few days in the bike shop i don’t mind helping them out when i have a day off, i worked an extra 36hrs hours last week for the xmas orders and also designing new chocs/designs/flavours for the coming season.

S’funny but i don’t really like chocolate all that much?, don’t get me wrong i don’t mind it but i can’t remember the last time i ever bought/ate a choccy bar/sweetie,biscuit was?….I guess when you are working with it all day and constantly tasting it to check whether it’s in temper or not and sampling the fillings to make sure they are ok you never want to eat the stuff. All hand made stuff by the way – no production machines or mechanisation – quality before quantity everytime.

On the reasoning above regarding why i don’t eat chocolate outside work i’d hate to work in a distillery 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Id hate to be a gynaecologist for just the same reasons 😉

Its nice to have a “portfolio” of jobs too.

nealglover
    Free Member

[img]http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/60552_10152286163130697_1372624513_n.jpg[/img]

cozz
    Free Member

nearly the end of page one with no mention of whether or not he also packs fudge / fudge packer

this forum aint what it used to be !!!!!!

samuri
    Free Member

I once met a guy in a pub who was a ….errm I can’t remember the name of his job but he made nice diamonds out of rocks pulled out of the ground. He was one of those chaps who spends three months looking at a rock before hitting it with a chisel in *just* the right place.

Very interesting chap indeed. The stuff he knew about gems was impressive.

Howe is this relevant? Errm dunno.

Kevevs
    Free Member

interesting stuff Somafunk. Don’t diss white chocolate though!

somafunk

Sorry Keveves this is gonna upset you big style but i will stand by my statement that white chocolate has absolutely no place in my choccy repertoire 😀 , unless i pipe it on for decoration or use as a swirl to colour a mould before moulding a shell to be filled with a single estate dark chocolate, preferably of 70 -75% cocoa as that is the perfect ratio of bitterness to complement a dark sweet cherry ganache filling.

Jamie
    Free Member

So. Erm. Does your former company require testers? I will grudgingly put myself forward as a volunteer.

khani
    Free Member

I love chocolate! I love it so much I could live off it and never eat anything else..ever! so I don’t have it very often 🙁
    But I want some now.. I dream of the land of chocolate..
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YAhSxOIOe4&sns=em[/video]

Kevevs
    Free Member

jeesus I want some chocolate now!

Jamie
    Free Member

I just ate some christmas chocolate decorations in desperation.

…oh the shame.

Anyway. I will wait patiently for a STW discount code, for the Cocoa Bean Co, to appear 8)

Trekster

work for a mate who owns and ran a small bike shop on his own for the past two years

Mark @ Next Level?

Grand daughter won her age group Easter comp @ the Cocoa Bean 😀

somafunk

And to think when i’m working wi the stuff i must throw away approx 200g of the finest stuff each day along with countless samples that require me to take a teeny nibble out of to check the chocolate is tempered correctly….sorry folks – i’ve been complacent with my work, i apologise profusely and from now on if i’m working with chocolate i’ll treat it with the due deference it so obviously deserves after reading your pleas and cries.

😉

Jamie
    Free Member

and to think when i’m working wi the stuff i must throw away approx 200g of the finest stuff each day along with countless samples that require me to take a teeny nibble out of to check the chocolate is tempered correctly….sorry folks

😡

somafunk

That’s right trekster, kenny here, i used to own a blue singlespeed soulcraft, i still do but it’s broken and i now own a cove hummer.

Well done to your grand daughter, i hope she got loads of chocolate 😀 , the kids chocolate workshops are very popular wi the visitors, they can have 300/400 kids a day in the summer holidays through the workshops.

Kevevs
    Free Member

bastard! I really want some nice smooth chocolate. You’re a ****, d’you know that?

somafunk

Anyway. I will wait patiently for a STW discount code, for the Cocoa Bean Co, to appear

I guess i could arrange that for subscribers to the magazine?, enough mtb’rs stop in as it’s on the way to Kirroughtree on the A75 and does good food and coffee in the large open plan cafe, Ti’z also good for kids n’ mum as the kids can do a chocolate workshop for an hr then spend a few hrs playing on the indoor and outdoor activities, mum can sit n’ chill, dad can head off on the bike to ride the trails at Kirroughtree as they’re only a 20min drive away.

somafunk

Sorry Keveves, it probably doesn’t help to say i have a KG of hand rolled milk, dark (and white )truffles in the kitchen does it?. 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’m going to bed 🙁

somafunk

Some virtual chocs for you to enjoy 😉

Xmas display, the martini glass is 3ft high

One of the cabinets full of chocs

I’m getting my hair cut t’morn at a mates salon so i always make the girls a box of chocs, seeing as it’s their xmas party on friday i’ve made them a 1 KG box, a mixture of milk Cheesecake cups in the outer two trays – 34% cocoa chocolate cups with crumbly biscuit base and topped with various cheesecake flavoured fillings and in the middle tray from the top, Banoffee, Toffee Barrel, Gin Fizz, Coffee bean 3 layer macchiato cylinder made with real espresso, Milk latte and finally Strawberry and Marshmallow vanilla 3 layer cylinders.

Enjoy 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

*goes to wipe himself down*

bullheart
    Free Member

*finds concept of Jamie wiping himself down uncomfortably and strangely alluring*

Houns

I’m reporting that post

mefty
    Free Member

The sales rep for one of the high end chocolate makers used to be my next door neighbour, when he left we inherited his sample store. Unfortunately it has all gone now.

bullheart
    Free Member

I’m reporting that post

Too late. I already have.

Banhammer – BRING ME SALVATION!

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m hoping if I keep saying nice things about Somafunk he will send me some free samples…

….I will even cut his hair 8)

somafunk

I’m starting to worry for my safety now……….”Click….Locks door….. drops blinds….switches off lights….sits in the dark”.

😯

Jamie
    Free Member

WHY WON’T YOU LET ME CUT YOUR HAIR!

*buys bowl and secateurs*

khani
    Free Member

Turning the lights off won’t help.. And you should have locked the door half an hour earlier..

NOW GIVE US SOME **** CHOCOLATE!!!..

julianwilson
    Free Member

Best thread on here this week. 😀

teacake
    Free Member

somafunk – agree 100% with you on white chocolate. Without any liqour it’s just fatty sugar. That said I am partial to a bit now and then – think it’s the memories of being 5.

Did you ever make a dark chocolate shell filled with blue cheese? Tried one in Poland and they are actually pretty amazing. Not sure on the shelflife though!!

Just about to place an order for 2000+ chocolate moulds myself – we produce on a slightly different scale.

Go confectionery!!!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Heh, small world, I used to live just down the road from Twynholm, been in the shop/play area plenty of times with my young cousins and grandparents. Amazing how much the place has grown.

Gotta say, chocolatier and bike shop mechanic is a pretty decent skill set 😀

nasher
    Free Member

my mum is a chocolatier and makes them for harrods, thorntons and other hi end retailers. she makes me some special ones for christmas…. yuuuuummmmm

Jamie
    Free Member

*adds nasher’s mum to the ‘to stalk begging letter’ list*

mangoridebike

Jamie – Member
    *adds nasher’s mum to the ‘to stalk begging letter’ list*

was about to mention that my wife is also a chocolatier – but I won’t now

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘STOP EVERYTHING! STW HAS A CHOCOLATIER AS A MEMBER!’ is closed to new replies.