Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Stooge Speedball
  • franco
    Free Member

Smoother than a gravy sandwich.

+1 on the fork for my mk2 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Aldi Jones, yeah, about right

tazzymtb

To the “adli Jones” folk, I take it you also have the same opinion of: black sheep, moonmen, oddity, groovey cycle works, inglis/retrotec, skyde, ( hell, even the one one fatty looked a bit like a Jeff frame) and loads of other nahbs frame builders as they also have bikes with multiple top tubes and shock horror some form of truss fork. Jesus some folk really don’t know their niche 😉

johnnystorm

To a degree yes. Do all the fancy bits “do anything” or are they just decorative?

tazzymtb

Truss forks are a very good way to make a light and super stiff fork. If you’ve ridden a titanium unicrown fork even a bloody expensive one the fore and aft deflection is “interesting” to the point of bloody scary. Unless you massively over build it like the 36mm stanchion torus/burls forks, which are lovely, but very industrial. A lot of the frame builders/designers that use multi top tubes, all seem to be from the same retro style of loving early mountain bikes and klunkers, but you can do some nice engineering things with ladder frames with regard to thinner tubes and building a bit of vertical compliance without it being a noodle sideways. I guess you either visually like that kind of thing and the fact that there are many paths to arrive at a similar destination, or its not for you and you like hydro formed alloys, carbon, and clever suspension stuff. Its all bikes and that’s bloody ace.

Comparing the speedball to a Jones, (and I’ve owned diamonds, diamonds with truss and still have a space frame (steel) the ti is too flexy for me I can twist the back) is just bloody lazy.

Mind you the original mk1 stooge also came under fire from a couple of old beardie Jones nerds as well (me included originally) then I had a ride on a mk1 and realised they were a very different bike and trying to do a different thing in making a rigid bike be as much of a yob as possible (bit like wolfhound bikes)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The curved truss love looks like the Blacksheep truss (and yes, there was some raised eyebrows when that came out too) so that’s both bases covered then 😉

tazzymtb

Oh yeah, but James and lots of the Americans desingers/niche mongers like and get the speedball, surprised you’ve missed the opportunity to be grumpy about all the others though?! So much angst and rage to be had 😉

Honestly you give us beardy Jones riders a bad name (well worse than being a bunch of bendy tubed bike owning attention whores)

scud
    Free Member

I like it, always like something that someone has clearly put some time and love into to create something that rides well and still can be looked at a piece of art/engineering at the same time.

Think it would look good with a carbon fork also, the difference between the raw, twisted engineered metal frame and plain black straight line of a carbon fork would be good to

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Any chance of a video showing the vertical compliance?

tazzymtb

What like the Jones space frame one? 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Yes, exactly like the Jones Spaceframe video 😉 😉

cokie

Aldi Jones, yeah, about right

Really? Does that train of thought apply to all similar products?
    Is a HTC an ‘Aldi’ iPhone? The two frames are similar, in the same way that all bikes have two wheels, but they have a different approach, design and ethos behind them. A few bendy tubes doesn’t make them the same. What dictates this as being an ‘Aldi’ equivalent? The lower price point (which is TBC anyway) or the Jones ‘inspirations’? Why isn’t a Jones and ‘Aldi’ copy of the 1980’s BMXs or Klunkers?

tazzymtb

I could have done you one of my black sheep, that had exciting compliance in all 3 axis at once with an added soundtrack of me screaming in terror 🙂

jonestown
    Free Member

It’s funny how people feel they need to take ownership of something and take the higher ground. It’s all bollocks really. Take truss forks, a lot of companies use them, they’ve been around since the year dot. Back in the late 70’s me and the gang all built ourselves Track bikes, basically old racers with knobbly tyres and mahoosive cowhorn bars. Back then you could buy bolt on fork trusses from any local bike shop, but we all went one step further, one of our dad’s worked as a welder in Air Products so we all made our own trusses from steel and got him to weld them up to our bikes, you could never take the bars off again without a hacksaw, so does that make us pioneers, no, but it illustrates that the design was around long before it was co-opted by a few left-field mountain bike companies, myself included. So as i said, it’s all bollocks really.

I’ve been experimenting with bike geometry for over 30 years, so my ideas are all mine and based on riding bikes rather than looking at other people’s geo charts. On the same note, i’m not going to stop having fun with designs because somebody has already been there, ie, truss forks. Surly created the whole 29+ thing, they could’ve taken ownership of that but chose not to, but their hard work and innovation led to where we are today, no glory needed on their part.

vertical compliance? There is none. Zero. Nada. It’s designed to kick your balls of, scoop em up and throw em back in your face and still leave you wanting more.

There we are then 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

the vertical compliance was claimed by Tazzy, earlier in the thread. I,m curious to know what the third top tube does, as it doesn’t seem to be connected to the ladder?

Here you go Tazzy – Jeff demonstrating how the Spaceframe works.

Vertical compliant

ir_bandito
    Free Member

There is none. Zero. Nada. It’s designed to kick your balls of, scoop em up and throw em back in your face and still leave you wanting more.

😀

jonestown
    Free Member

i was actually joking.

The third tube allows a fair amount of controlled flex in the seat-tube, think of it as a big leaf spring.

tazzymtb

well stuff me, Futon, I’ve owned jones bikes for years and never knew how a jones worked….you utter, utter bellend!

jeesus If stooge made a kids bike you’d be having a go about it bearing a toy ‘r us jones for bearded midgets

firestarter
    Free Member

I like it, I have a Jones I like that too. I like the old stooge and lots of other bikes too.

Truss forks have been on motorbikes for donkeys as have multiple funny tubing and different sized wheels
    It’s all good

singlespeedstu

tazzymtb – Member
    I could have done you one of my black sheep, that had exciting compliance in all 3 axis at once with an added soundtrack of me screaming in terror

That POS is the worst bike I’ve ever ridden and just about sums up most handmade bikes for me now.
    Great to look at but awful to ride on anything challenging.

noltae
    Free Member

I’d love some Truss steez on my Mk 1 !

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

@ Tazzy – whatever dude

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Mmmm….I’m not instantly taken…maybe it’ll grow on me. It look a bit too ‘angular’ to me…IMO.

As for Ti Truss forks on a Stooge…my custom one (made by XACD) shipped last week. It’s going on to my Mk2…will post photos when it comes!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Anyway – ad hominems apart – I’d still be interested in seeing a video showing the vertical compliance 😉

bonesetter
    Free Member

OMG! 1977!

Please don’t tell me somebody before Jeff Jones invented the truss fork?!

I thought it was all his

birdage

Like it. Looks nicely proportioned to me. Don’t really get all the ‘too short’ comments but then I don’t really get the Jones Plus unless you’re over 6ft.

Clink

As for Ti Truss forks on a Stooge…my custom one (made by XACD) shipped last week. It’s going on to my Mk2…will post photos when it comes!

More details please! Pics, geo, cost? Did you keep the same fork length and 55mm offset?

dovebiker

Titanium truss fork from Xi’an Titanium / XACD – not the easiest, cheapest or best finished of the ChiTi companies to deal with.

rOcKeTdOg

It’s designed to kick your balls of, scoop em up and throw em back in your face and still leave you wanting more.

I’m in, love a bit of ball busting me

Stedlocks
    Free Member

So much bedwetting on this forum…..seriously.
    Does it look nice? Yes
    Is it made by someone who has bothered to get off their hoop and do something about the thing that they have a passion about? Yes
    Does it resemble a Jones bike? Not in the slightest!

Fair play for bringing it to the market…..success or not, you have made your vision a reality, probably learning loads along the way, which will be incorporated into future frames.

Bollox to the moaners, if you want someone to test it, I’d do it in a heartbeat, and ride the nadgers off the women’s willies who are doing the moaning

bikesian65
    Free Member

Well I have 2 Jones and to me the Speedball looks great and I would love to have a go on one ( pretty good pricing as well, if I had not just spent all my money on a Jones space frame plus I would be after a test ride!) – good effort by Jonestown as far as I am concerned – can’t understand why people get bent out of shape about who makes what TBH – its all bikes so its all good and as they say theres nothing new under the sun !

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Eye, more choice can only be good for us consumers! and stooge is British 🙂

imo, Andy stooge is a nice bloke with a really good product 8)

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

and Also imo, the best handlebars on the market!

Retrodirect
    Free Member

but wait, back to my earlier question.

Is this different geometry to the normal stooge?

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ Important question

Although I suspect the answer to be ‘the same’

jonestown
    Free Member

for the best part the numbers are the same, 2 differences – BB is 10mm lower, chainstays are 5mm longer. ETT is 23.5″, HA is 69 degrees. Most of my steel Stooges are now set up with B+ and this rides quite differently, despite the numbers. it feels completely neutral whereas the steels want to turn on a dime and be flung here there and everywhere. It’s early days re testing and i’m going to get some miles in on this, though to me it feels pretty perfect from the off.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks for coming in

Do please tell us there will be the larger size available, at least in steel?

cartwheels

That looks really good.
    Fine work Andy

bigblackshed

Picto
    Free Member

Not only looks good rides extremely well.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Speedball’ is closed to new replies.