Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Stooge Speedball (new bike)
  • funkmasterp

What’s the green bike? It looks brilliant, the sort of second bike I could see myself owning.

Clink

Photos are easy on classifieds- why can’t the same system be used on the forum?

cokie

Is it too big a frame for someone only 5’9” tall?

@jupiter- I’m the same height as you and have owned the Mk1 & 2. They fitted me perfectly. You’ll have no trouble.

tazzymtb

Bollox look on Instagram for tazWadie for pretty stooge bikes, this image thingy is way too silly for a simple single speed tit like me

PJay
    Free Member

It sort of works but doesn’t let you zoom in. You might be able to embed Instagram post directly into the forum (I don’t know) but as an html idiot all I could find that would work is finding the .jpg file in the source code; it looks like instagram is pinching the jpg from Facebook.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Lush!

Is that your ride Pjay?

PJay
    Free Member

Good grief no (I couldn’t afford one of those – I’ve got a Swift) I was having a play with Tazzy’s photos from Instagram (so I assume it’s his).

tazzymtb

That’s my original one, Andy and I had them, then they were tweaked a bit with added titanium bullmoose taz-bah etc.. Then the steel version came into being. I also have a lovely one of those with klunkpacker forks and drop bars. It will be at the dirty reiver if anyone wants a play. My ti baby will be at Battle on the beach

bonesetter
    Free Member

LOL – what a night last night.

Going from 2 yrs on a Mk2 Stooge to Sppeedball my mate was flying…

A regular Wednesday nighter turned into a 7 hour let’s push the boat out, extended loop (ott 4 pubs later too)…

He was flying on the bike, giggling all over his face

Looks great all brand new XT built up. The paint job is oustounding – seems like there’s a very protective, plastic coasting on top

coppice
    Free Member

I had a similar ride the 1st time I took my Krampus out, it was ace.

My biggest issue with Stooge are understanding their model range, I’ve pre-ordered the mk4 because it was a good deal and can finally take a normal dropper. I’m looking to swap the frame over from my Singular Rooster that takes 3″ tyres so i’m loosing a bit on the back. After your/your mates feedback though i’m back to wondering should I have gone Speedball?

cokie

Depends what geometry you’re after!
    The Speedball is classic Stooge, whereas the Mk4 is ‘progressive geometry’ Stooge..

Mk4 still takes the 29er+ plus front, but ‘only’ 29×2.6 rear. Sacrificing a bit at the back for longer TT & slacker HA and dropper compatible. I went Mk4 personally, but i get the appeal of the speedball. Especially with a truss fork :O

benp1

I don’t really get the traditional geometry speedball stooge from the marketing material. They’re saying that’s what a rigid bike should be like, but then the other one is different…?

tazzymtb

The speedball isn’t traditional geometry, it was basically designed for me to be a racier endurance bike with 29+ roll over but still handle like a yobbo in the fun stuff.

Also turned out that the later steel Verizon was a great bikepacking rig and stonking with drop bars.

The MK4 is batshit mental and handles brilliantly as it’s got the geometry of the dirtbomb. I really fancy a titanium version of one

bonesetter
    Free Member

‘Traditional’ & ‘Progressive’ means different things to different folk

cokie

speedball isn’t traditional geometry, it was basically designed for me to be a racier endurance bike

= traditional geometry

The MK4 is batshit mental and handles brilliantly

= progressive geometry

(IMHO)

tazzymtb

Thing is the mk1-3 and the speedball are still progressive compared to many rigid bikes surly, singular etc… The dirtbomb was basically a how far can Andy go with it and the MK4 was a hell let’s make it a thing for folks to have in a more cost effective manner. It’s also two fingers up to suspension and all that guff as it pure rigid with no way of ever stuffing a boingy frontage in

bonesetter
    Free Member

So, conflicting opinions of what is ‘progressive’ or ‘traditional’

I don’t even know what constitutes traditional, but thought Stooge was never that

Wile colourful & enthusiastic descriptions are good, I wouldn’t buy a bike on that

singlespeedstu

What about the plant pot?
    You stood it back up yet?
    i’ve not been past to do it for you.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve done it Stu – it thanked you 🙂

singlespeedstu

This is what progessive geo looks like for all the people out there that think half a degree and 5mm make something progressive.
    2017-05-22_12-18-06

fd3chris
    Free Member

Stu do you wheelie that everywhere?

singlespeedstu

Snot mine.
    But if I was ever to go back to a rigid bike it’d look like that.
    Bedmaker is responsible for this and fair play to him for riding real progressive bikes and trying to translate it to rigid bikes.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I like that, I’m still contemplating the stooge mk4. Got till the end of the month…..

singlespeedstu

Sorry forgot to say thank you back to Bonesetters pot which seems to be quite happy to be just a pot.😛

tazzymtb

Stu, that’s pretty close to the MK4 geometry, with a similar silly truss fork offset 🙂 ya grumpy old git

singlespeedstu

Na mate just look at the 2 of them.
    😘 to you too taz you great big softlad.
    Saw the stooge today in the flesh and it just looks like “a bike” all be it’s a nice colour but to call it progressive is kind of funny.

Clink

Saw the stooge today in the flesh and it just looks like “a bike” all be it’s a nice colour but to call it progressive is kind of funny.

You saw a Mk4?!?

singlespeedstu

I saw Jim’s bike that was in the OP.
    No idea what mk it was there were far more interesting things to talk about like Niges over turned flower pot.😚

jonestown
    Free Member

This is what the MK4 geometry will look like albeit in a different shape (if the damned photo works, never have I been so confused). 66 degree head angle, 80mm offset forks, so its certainly far from normal.
    dirtbomb

jonestown
    Free Member

yep, just as I thought, didn’t ruddy work, I give up

bonesetter
    Free Member

Agreed on the photo posting – it’s ridiculous

Keep trying though Andy, even if it’s a link we’d like to see it, although those numbers sound good

PJay
    Free Member

Agreed on the photo posting – it’s ridiculous

Keep trying though Andy, even if it’s a link we’d like to see it, although those numbers sound good

Is there anything in this thread that helps? – singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/displaying-an-instagram-post-in-a-forum-topic-link-advice-needed/

Images from the Stooge website should display normally in img tags.

MrTricky
    Free Member

Bonesetter – Build looks great. Assume the XT kit you fitted is 11speed with a non-boost chainset, what is clearance like between chain and tyre in the lowest gear? My Speedball arrived today (thanks Andy) and I ride in lots of mud over the winter so am torn between Halo 35 or 50 rims for the rear.

bedmaker

LOvely looking bikes. Apart from mine, it’s fairly hideous looking in comparison 🙂

The MK4 and speedball look like a lot of fun. I plugged the front end geo figures into a calculator and the wheel flop and mech trail come up very similar to my own.
    Despite looking a bit mental, it rides great, much more capable than a rigid bike ought to be. Feels nice and balanced.

If I was doing it again, I’d most likely go 66 degrees too, with a bit more reach.
    I’m tempted to sell mine and go full 29+. Hmmm…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Mr Tricky – Congrats on your new ride – do post a pic or two when built

As for the one I built for my mate, 11 it is is with non-boost
    I’ll look at chainline later today when I see the bike again

What I will say though is the Bridgers come up on the small side of 3″ which will give more clearance, and I did look at clearance in the CS yoke and it’s about at the comfortable max

spectabilis
    Free Member

Here’s mine built from a mix of parts bin and new stuff.

Vapour 50/WTB Ranger
    Dually / Teravail Cumberland
    Hope SS and Dartmoor hubs
    Stooge Motos
    Hope X2
    Brooks C15
    Middleburn/Velosolo/Halo/KMC Half link
    Thomson and Hope finishing kit
    Oury grips
    Electron pedals

Speedball

akira

Someone went past me today on a purple stooge, I shouted ‘stoooooge’ at him but he kept on going. He probably thought I was a weirdo. I was in suburbia being unimpressive on a trials bike.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Common as muck now

bonesetter
    Free Member

Re chainline when on the top cog – it’s close – very close. I hadn’t noticed just how close

It’s a newish tyre on the rear and the little nibbly hair-like thingies you get on the walls touch the chain. I would guess it at 4mm

gigawhat
    Free Member

Can’t find many reviews of the Speedball (with either fork), what to they actually ride like? For general XC trail riding, would the MK4 or the Speedball be more suitable?

Any info useful as are a bit confused with the 2 models.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Speedball (new bike)’ is closed to new replies.