Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Stooge Mk4, how heavy?
  • jupiter
    Free Member

How heavy is the mk4 frame? In the latest mag it seems to weigh nearly 30lbs as a singlespeed, yet on the Stooge website it says the target weight for the frame was 5.5lbs. I love the look and idea behind the bike ( I’ve liked Stooge frames since the start but never been in a position to buy one) but is it possible to build a geared bike under 30lbs without spending a fortune or compromising its ability?

bigblackshed

I don’t know the answer to your question, but my large MK3 is 27lbs with 27.5+ wheels and tyres. It’s built burly, because I’m a gurt, fat heffer.

Remember that 29+ tyres don’t come light. They’ll always be heavier than racing rubber.

They do however ride very light. But the extra weight is a big bonus when descending or ploughing through the rough stuff.

whitestone
    Free Member

The Stooge frame is only slightly heavier (2.5kg) than say a frame like the Cotic Solaris (2.25kg). My Solaris built up to 12.5kg with a suspension fork and Reverb dropper post or 11.5kg with a carbon fibre rigid fork.

No outrageously silly items, Hope XC wheels, Bontrager XR tyres, Shimano XT 1×10 drivetrain, Shimano XT brakes (at the time I originally built it up, now Hope Tech 3).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jupiter
    Free Member

So should be achievable. Good weight for the mk3, I thought that was a very heavy frame?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

If I remember I’ll stick mine on the scales later and let you know.

Don’t stress about the weight though. They ride brilliantly and grins defy gravity.

funkmasterp

I’ve got the Speedball with a set of the massive Junker bars. Never wondered about the weight. Strikes me as the type of bike that you wouldn’t buy if weight was a concern tbh. It’s a bloody hoot to ride though.

jupiter
    Free Member

I’m only skinny so lighter is always better than unnecessarily heavy.

ajantom

Bear in mind this on my cheap fishing scales…..
    But mine built up with Surly rabbit hole wheels, Minion DHF front and Goodyear rear, BX dropper post, 1×4 gears + thumbshifter, and gert big steel Surly Sunrise bars is approx 31lbs.

Did 28ish miles on it today, and it was ace. Bit draggy on the road section at the end, but both tyres have pretty chunky grip.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

My mark 4 weighs 14.7kg according to my cheap eBay luggage scales. Same scales weighed my cotic flare max at 14.9 kg.

I was surprised as the stooge feels much lighter than the cotic on climbs.

Both are great bikes though.

It’s this one:

funkmasterp

I’m just under eleven stone. Think about it in terms of fun per mile and disregard the weight. It’s never going to build up that light.

stwhannah

I’d like to think I’m fairly skinny 🙂 I didn’t find the bike heavy.

jupiter
    Free Member

So, nearly as heavy as a steel full suspension bike but not too heavy. Thanks for all your replies, Stooge or Kona Unit, and what rims?

letmetalktomark

I recall my MK3 (20”) being about 8lbs for the frame and fork.

Built to just over 30lb with 650b plus wheels and sensible finishing kit.

Rode nothing like a 30lb bike – it just flew.

Its just a number.

Now going 29 plus prepare for a general shock if you go 50mm rims and 3” tyres.

My 29plus Signal built with good kit is surprisingly heavy …….

singlespeedstu

What axle sizes does the MK4 use please?

funkmasterp

I’d like to think I’m fairly skinny 🙂 I didn’t find the bike heavy.

Is your review going to be posted on the site soon? Then again it may make me want to sell the Speedball 😱

ajantom

What axle sizes does the MK4 use please

12×142 and 15×100, so standard non-boost through axles.

singlespeedstu

Cheers.

epicyclo

Heavy? Depends how you build it.

If you take 2 framesets, one steel and one carbon and fit them with the same components, then your weight difference is simply that between the 2 framesets.

Obvious? Of course. But comparing the overall weights puts it into perspective. A steel frame may be twice as heavy as a carbon (for example), but the proportional difference in built weight will be much less, e.g. if the steel bike weighs 30lbs, then the carbon one will weigh around 28lbs give or take.

kerley
    Free Member

I recently swapped out a lightish alloy and very light carbon fork (1.8kg total) to a steel frame and fork (3kg total). All other components stayed exactly the same and the fit and sizing of frame was almost identical. Total weight of bike went from 6.8kg to 8kg

Did it make any difference and did I notice it – No (hard to admit for a weight weenie!)

legometeorology
    Free Member

Mine felt a little heavy when I first built it, but then I swapped out the sticky 1.1kg Minion I had on the front for a 800g Rekon of the same volume and single-speeded it. It felt significantly better.

My build is still a bit chunky though (cheap dropper, heavy wheels, etc.) so a slightly leaner build and keeping the gears would be all good.

d4ddydo666

Speedballs are crap. I’ll give you £300 for it to help you out.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Mk4, how heavy?’ is closed to new replies.