Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • Cheezpleez

Just ordered a purple. Excited.

sillyoldman

Jonestown – have you got reach and stack figures available?

jonestown
    Free Member

Hi Cheezpleez, thanks for the order, your frame will be with you on Tuesday. Yabadoo.

Reach is approx 427mm, stack is 584.

Cheezpleez

Thanks Jonestown 🙂

monkeyrider
    Free Member

I just read this thread again and no weight of frame and fork is mentioned yet.
    Does anybody have actual weight of frame and uncut fork?

jonestown
    Free Member

Hi Monkeyrider, i’ll get the weight for you as soon as i can get my hand on some scales. I wasn’t watching the weight when i designed the frame, but having said that, the bike on my website (with a Knard) weighs in at 26lbs, or 11.8 kg. There’s nothing especially lighweight about the build so i imagine you could get a bike down to 24lbs quite easily.

miranmtb
    Free Member

Interested in frame and fork weight too.
    Any near future planes for frames without ebb?
    Really like the frame but i have no plan on running ss on this one.

jonestown
    Free Member

weight still to follow. I may well do a regular BB version, but at this stage its economy of scale, i’m a very small outfit trying to be all things to all men. One upside of the ebb is that you can play around with geometry (chainstay length, bottom bracket height)and i like that. But the ebb is fit and forget if you run gears (as i do). Don’t let it put you off 😉

Mal-ec
    Free Member

I was a bit worried about the eccentric BB as well, my single speed days are done.
    But its not much weight, and probably means stiffer BB generally, plus being able to play with single ring setups, and BB position for the reasons listed above and for me also being able to get seat position just right for the cockpit, but being able to independently modify relative peddling position ( a bit) is an unforeseen plus.
    Just started building mine up. Proper lovely frame. Looking forward to see how 29+ front works. Felt great on the test bike. Andy couldn’t have been more helpful.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^

Any pics yet??

Clink

Anyone know the seatclamp size please?

monkeyrider
    Free Member

Just ordered a blue frameset at CTBM ………first Dutch Stooge will be born 😀

Charlie was very helpfull in sharing his experience on a Karate Monkey and the Stooge; Both great bikes but quite different ride: Stooge more agressive and fun, KM more for long steady days.
    Sounds there is a place for a Stooge next to my KM. 😀

It will be a bit of “classic” build with what I have in my barn (mosty new or hardly used):
    polished stuff, bit vintage and modern mix; 1×8 34(or 30) x 11-34 with square tapered crankset (Shimano STC-RC 5arm 1995! almost new) Surly SS chainring,jumpstop, Sachs (yes…real “Sachs”) gripshifter, Salsa bend2 bar, Avid bb7 and some flatpedals.
    I already have received my Velocity Blunt35 wheelset from “Just Riding Along” with tubeless Knard front and Conti Xking2.4 rear.

I will post pictures asap

Clink

Nice! I picked up a frame from CTBM yesterday – very helpful 🙂

miranmtb
    Free Member

Do Avid BB7 fit fine on the back, what rotor size (160,180)?

monkeyrider
    Free Member

I will be using 160 rear and 200 front. I guess that’s no problem ?

Clink

somebody must know the seatclamp size??

bonesetter
    Free Member

bonesetter
    Free Member

I use 200/180

Good to see more folk getting into the Stooge – great bike and looking forward to hearing ride reports – as I’m sure is Mr Stooge

cupra
    Free Member

Would you please all hurry up and buy up the first batch of these frames as the second batch will have a fork with anything cage mounts 🙂

monkeyrider
    Free Member

31.8 seatclamp on a steel frame with 27.2 seatpost ??????
    30.0 is more-or-less “standard”

bonesetter
    Free Member

i thought 30.8, but this hope one says 31.8

bonesetter
    Free Member

the OD of the ST (which I did measure before posting) is indeed 31.8

monkeyrider
    Free Member

You are totally right! Just had some emails with CTBM and indeed: Stooge has size 31.8 seatclamp !
    Heavy tubing at that part ?!

miranmtb
    Free Member

steel jones has 31.8 seatclamp too 😉

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Saves me having to ask. Thanks. No pics yet. Knard arriving tomorrow with any luck…

jonestown
    Free Member

OK, so i REALLY need to put the seatclamp size on the website, and it is…. 31.8. The seatmast has a brazed shim inside to provide all important strength at the top tube junction. The actual tube is a lit thinner once you head down to the BB.

Monkeyrider, your build sounds sweet, can’t wait to see some pics of that one.

BB7’s will fit on the back with a 180 rotor. I’ve not tried a 203, i imagine it might be okay, though a definite case of overkill 🙂

Mal-ec
    Free Member

The BB shell is 68mm I think. Listed as 73mm.

richardthird

Lovely looking/sounding bikes here. Why the love of mechanical brakes by the way, simplicity?

ska-49
    Free Member

Nearly all parts have been ordered.
    I’ll start the build tomorrow. Can’t wait!

Spec for me:
    SS 32×18
    XT cranks
    740mm low rise devinci bars
    50mm Kona stem
    Charge Spoon
    SS seatpost
    Deore brakes & 160mm rotors
    Cane Creek headset
    Flows on ProII- not sure on tyres yet.
    KMC chain
    Then just pedals and done!

Total cost around £800 and should weigh about 25 lbs.
    This build will be my winter hack bike/no maintenance option.

mattjg
    Free Member

lol ^^, back to a 29er trail bike then?

how’s that student loan coming on 😉

bonesetter
    Free Member

Tis 68

placid_casual
    Free Member

I’m off up to Sideways tomorrow to collect my bits. A collection of purple Hope (hubs, headset) Thomson (post, stem) and XT (brakes, mech, cranks) with Dually rims and a Knard up front. My frame, which has been mantelpiece art for the last six weeks will finally get built.

Expect this thread and my Flickr album to be inundated with photos…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nxBfUV]Mantelpiece art. #newframe #stoogecycles[/url] by placid casual, on Flickr

ska-49
    Free Member

Yeah, you know I’ve got a problem Matt 😆
    If you’re nice I’ll let you have a go at Swinley sometime.

Payrise and overtime means the MSc loan should be gone by the end of the year 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

good job. swap you for a go on my nice new chrome Nimble 9. Stooge looks good to me too, one of my riding buddies has just received a purple one.

@placid that looks lovely on the mantelpiece, best buy another for riding!

monkeyrider
    Free Member

BB 68mm and not 73 as listed on website???
    Shure?!

Unpleasant surprize:
    Means I need to order another square bb ………

bonesetter
    Free Member

deffo 68

C’mon Andy, website detail needs sorting 😉

monkeyrider
    Free Member

Confusing….just got a message from CTBM to confirm its 73 😕

Andy……..HELP !

spectabilis
    Free Member

Just put a BB in one today 68 it be .

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Aye 68 here too.
    Finally got all the bits to build the Stooge up. Apologies to Andy for any compromises valve/logo misalignment 🙂
    Rabbit hole rims, Knard front and Ardent 2.4 back (comes up nice and wide on these rims). Set up tubeless with sht load of Stans and Gorrilla tape.
    1 x 10 thick/thin chainring / clutch mech. So we’ll see how that handles steps…

Will probably go for layback seat post, depending on how the cockpit fettling goes. Keeping the front high on Andy’s recommendation. Opposite to what I’m used to, but felt right on the demo bike, so I’m going to try it for a bit.
    Generally built burly. Lovely frame.
    SLX front brake on a Surly hub was tight with IS to post adaptor. May need some tinkering later.

Right lets get the thing… dusty 🙂

jonestown
    Free Member

firstly, massive apologies re the website misinformation, the bb is 68mm, used to be 73 when i specced a threaded BB, update on the way. Especially sorry to Monkeyrider for buying the wrong size, what size T shirt do you wear, i’ll send you one gratis to make up for the bother (when they arrive).

M(alec) – your build looks very very nice, can’t wait to hear what you think of it on the trails. Keep me posted.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.