Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • letmetalktomark

Finally complete:

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thon is bloody lovely! Some purple Hugo decals would be boss.

coomber
    Free Member

Oh my days thought the orange was nice. Now seen this.

That is the nicest looking bike i’ve seen in ages.

letmetalktomark

Some purple Hugo decals would be boss.

I’ve hot some Easton Haven(?) 45mm rims that are going to get built into some purple hubs to switch between this and my Sherpa otherwise it would have been purple decals 😆

letmetalktomark

coomber – Member
    Oh my days thought the orange was nice. Now seen this.

That is the nicest looking bike i’ve seen in ages.

honourablegeorge

letmetalktomark – Member

I’ve hot some Easton Haven(?) 45mm rims that are going to get built into some purple hubs to switch between this and my Sherpa otherwise it would have been purple decals

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/easton-heist-arc-30-mtb-rim-decal-kit/rp-prod152728

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Looking good from here. So, how do they ride?

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Large orange frame arrived, weighed, recovered from shock, looking forward to building up and getting ridden. Lovely looking frame in the flesh – lots of interesting angles and ideas.

Will be very interestung to see how it compares to the departed swift and the constantly amusing puffin.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Congrats

29 or 27.5?

slimjim78
    Free Member

so hows it ride mark?

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I’m going for 27.5×3.0. Direct swap from the old swift. Be a direct comparison.

austinburner
    Free Member

Come on, hows the Mk3 ride compared to Mk1/2!!!!!!!…………

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Yep I’d also like to know how the MK3 compares to the MK2. Trtying to decide between one of these or a stache.

How much does the MK3 frame weight

Also trying to decide between a large or regular at 6ft

olibluegoat
    Free Member

letmetalktomark

How does the stooge compare to the sherpa

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Link to my initial single speed build here:

Stooge

Not ridden yet so no feedback but initial trip up garden tells me the large is good for me at 6’1″.

Does the weight matter? Well, yes and no. On the whole it doesn’t matter but I was out with some xc whippets on Sunday and the 11 pound extra bulk on my fat bike did make a difference up the hills. That’s my excuse anyway. Was fine going down of course.

jonestown
    Free Member

@olibluegoat i’ve just built a large demo bike, and at 6′ myself, i’d definitely say go with the smaller one. Re the difference between the mk2 and 3, the chainstays are some 15mm shorter on the new one so the handling is a little zippier, it translates really nicely when you’re going fast down a trail, you can change direction in an instant.

The 18″ Mk3 frame weighs the same as the MK2, just shy of 7 lbs, it’s not light but it’ll easily build up into a 28lb bike, it’s a bike built for abuse and riding hard rather than an xc steed. The 20″ frame come in about a pound heavier, but on the same note, just built one with a 120mm fork, B+ rims and quite heavy tyres, dropper post etc and the full build is 30lbs. Could shave a fair bit of weight by going for lighter tyres and tubeless, but it rides a lot lighter than its weight suggests.

letmetalktomark

olibluegoat – Member
    letmetalktomark

How does the stooge compare to the sherpa

Its a very different ride – in a good way different.

The Sherpa is a fantastic ride but is very bike like.

The Stooge is very non bike like in many ways – I’m no journo can you tell.

I would be happy pootling all day on the Stooge, using it to pop to the shops, riding XC, twisty single track etc as it just feels “right”.

The 650b plus wheels suit its short playful nature (still not a journo) and the Moto bars are excellent.

I’m building up some narrower plus wheels (45mm rims & 2.8” tyres) that I will try on the Stooge with the Pike from my Sherpa.

I feel if this works the Sherpa ought to look scared 🙂

Sizing wise …… I’m 6′ 3” (well as close that makes no difference) and am longer in body than leg. I would say that at 6′ the smaller of the two would be best unless you have a really long leg.

I’m running less post out of the frame on my Stooge than I was with the same post on my 20.5” Genesis Fortitude with 29plus front and 29 rear – make of that what you will.

Weight wise ….. in rigid form its heavier than my Sherpa and thats 30lb on the nose …… its not as heavy as my Puffin though.

That said it rides “light” and feels springy.

I very much like mine and am glad a bigger size was made and i wouldn’t have fitted on the 18”

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Cheers bud. Have you ridden a stache. Trying to decide between a stooge or a stache

olibluegoat
    Free Member

The stooge sounds great. I just want a bike that i can hoon around on that can cover everyhting from family rides, trips to the pub and a laught down the local woods, that will leave a massive grin on my face

bonesetter
    Free Member

@ letmetalktomark

Thanks for coming in, and at ~6’3″ myself and more in the body than leg would be interested to see how much seat post you have…?

The Stache 5 (which I have FS 😉 ) is much a much lighter bike overall, lower on the front, and more twitchy. I prefer the Stooge

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Which is more fun though out of the stache and stooge

bonesetter
    Free Member

I enjoyed both bikes a lot. I preferred Stooge’s higher front (which suited my gangly proportions, so normal sized folk mileage will vary)

Both are great bikes, and the Stache is onehellova well made one

Don’t get hung up on short CS’s though. My current is a Jones with 19″ CS’s and it rides very nicely indeed

letmetalktomark

@ Bonesetter …. Pics of mine are on pg 39

bonesetter
    Free Member

@ me lazy

letmetalktomark

😆

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good way to embed photos into posts on this site, since photobucket have made the forum a duller place? I can’t see how to get flickr photos embedded with the tag. Got some more stooge photos to share.

Thanks.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Imgur

root-n-5th
    Free Member

https://i.imgur.com/OL2jGod.jpg

Still can’t get an img tag though.

honourablegeorge

rOcKeTdOg

Nice, still only 18″ though unless I’m reading the website wrong?

mariner
    Free Member

Nice, still only 18″ though unless I’m reading the website wrong?

Yes.
    http://stoogecycles.co.uk/product/stooge-generation-3-20-orange-yellow-pre-order/

faustus

rootn5th – on flickr use the share button and copy the BB code link – done!

These new stooges do look great and I know they ride well, but it would just be too much weight for the money for me.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Weight on a steel trails bike is not too important

faustus

Well, it is to some if it is a few pounds heavier than a bike with a suspension fork. I wouldn’t mind some heft, bit think it goes beyond a tipping point for me of being too heavy, and would be noticeable uphill. I’ve ridden a Mk1 and they are nice frames…

tazzymtb

28ish pounds with plus size rubber and suspension fork, that’s fine and dandy. I would suggest the learned sir with a daemonic moniker may actually have the legs of a small sparrow….that’s got rickets…..and isn’t feeling very well

faustus

Well that sounds good weight, just the new frames above sounded pretty darn heavy esp in large. I could prove that there’s nothing wrong with the legs, but they have this really embarrassing tan line on at the mo…

letmetalktomark

That said mine is over 30lb as built in the pics on pg 39 … but I have the legs for it ……..

tazzymtb

I could prove that there’s nothing wrong with the legs, but they have this really embarrassing tan line on at the mo…

That’s the problem with sandals and socks 😀

andykirk
    Free Member

Hmmm…. 40 pages of posts. Am I missing something here?

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Thanks for Flickr Advice – can’t do it from mobile though. Large Mk3 Orange in B+ mode.

@andykirk – depends what you’re looking for…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X3Hooy]Stooge[/url] by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XDLdXP]Stooge[/url] by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WnYxdL]Stooge[/url] by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.