Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Stooge – any opinions from tall riders?
  • kelron
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about getting a Stooge, because they look cool & fun. Either the dirtbomb currently up for pre-order or waiting for the Mk 5.

Only thing holding me back is they’re both one size only frames. He does say they should be good up to my height (6’2) but they’re quite a lot shorter than I’d usually ride. I’d want a dropper as well so no layback post.

Anyone around my height riding one? I’d like to hear some feedback before I put any money down.

ayjaydoubleyou

No help, but I’m a leggy 6’1″ so following with interest.

tall_martin

My mate is over 6 foot and rides one.

@mrveer

He lives in the lakes, I don’t. Without a full suss he would leave me for dead up and down in the lakes.

He loves it : )

ajantom

I’m 6ft on a MK4. I’d say you’d be fine on it at 6’2″.
    I’m running a 150mm dropper. The post is fully inserted, so you could run a 170 or a 150 pulled out a bit.
    Got a 40mm stem with 800 Surly bars on (basically the same as the Stooge ones). You could go 10-15mm longer on the stem.

It’s not a really long bike, but by no means short.

mrhoppy

6′ and running 150 dropper and 40mm stem with 800mm Moto bars on a mkIV so at 6’2″ you should be fine.

It’s not long bike but running fully rigid you want it shorter I find, keep the front lighter and more comfortable.

ibnchris

Mate of mine is around 6’4 and loves it.

tazzymtb

dirtbomb is a one sizer,mk5 will be 18 Nd 20″ frames like the mk3 and 4

kelron
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll hold on for the Mk5 if that’s the case, wasn’t the 4 only one size though?

tazzymtb

the mk4 was a bit of an oddball in that it was sodding massive. at 5ft 11 ot was boederline too big for me. mate of mine now has my limited editon mk4 and he usually rides a mk3 20″ and is 6ft 2ish

scramblers were in 18 and 20 as well. it sort of depends on run size, if its a small batch only before another model then usuall one size, if its somethkng that will be staying around for a bit then it makes more sense to do 2 frame sizes.will be interesting to see what happens with the rambler when the prototypes hit social media

sv

Superb bikes, get your deposit down on a mk5 whenever you can.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does kind of shoot the entire custom frame market into oblivion (it is as good as they say)

ajantom

Does kind of shoot the entire custom frame market into oblivion (it is as good as they say

They are bloody good.
    Very nicely made and finished.
    An ebb that hadn’t made a sound or moved a mm in a year of riding.
    Aesthetically pleasing (eye of the beholder and all that mind).
    Spot on geo and size, for me anyway.

The only tweak I’d make on my MK4 would be slightly more rear clearance. Literally 5mm on each side of the seat stays. It rubs with a proper 2.6 tyre in there.

bigblackshed

Stooge MK3 in large owner. I’m 6’4″ and built like a lazy gorilla. The 20″ fits me like a glove. I owned a MK1 very briefly, it was too small, but that’s not a surprise, but the 18″ one size will fit almost anyone, as long as you’re a bit smaller than me. It depends on the riding you are planning to do though.

I initially ran my MK3 with 120mm bouncy forks, it was a complete hooligan, far more bike than I could handle, it just screamed “DO IT!”, and I’d end up in situations that was beyond my ability. The bike never skipped a beat, in the hands of a talented rider it would be an absolute riot.

I’ve ridden the Ti Dirtbomb, it fitted me fine, it’s quite a big bike, not as big as the MK4, which is frankly huge. But those are the exceptions to Andy Stooge’s idea of a rigid bike. They are supposed to be STS, short, tall, steep. High bars to take the weight off your wrists, allowing you to skip over bumps and chatter. The Scrambler takes the MK4 and dials it back a bit.

I’m torn about the Dirtbomb. It will be absolutely amazing, but I’d have to take a gamble and sell my MK3. That’s not something I’m prepared to do just yet. It would be like trying to decide which of your children to sacrifice.

Now if only I could justify a Ti Dirtbomb?

* I’m only slightly less evangelical about Stooge than Taz.

tazzymtb

oi im not evangelical i just knows a good rigid bike when i ride one. Cant bloody wait to get my hands on a new prototype stooge frame/model thats due to arrive in the next few weeks, although im having a first world stress out about which bling should go on it and if its time to the original and one off ti speedball?!

mariner
    Free Member

On my second one. It’s the same as the first which I stupidly sold thinking I could get better.
    If you have any questions Andrew is very approachable and helpful.
    He will probably suggest seatpost type and stem length for your size.

letmetalktomark

This was my Mk3 which I believe is longer in the TT than any of the models that have come after, so far. @tazzymtb I think that’s right isn’t it.

With a 50mm stem, 800mm bars and the layback post it was a pretty good fit. I’m 6′ 3” ish and longer in the arms/body than leg and I don’t think I would have gotten away with an inline post without adding the length to the stem.

As Andy (owner) will attest I have been holding on for another as the are an absolute hoot ^^ with 650b plus wheels defied its heft and was really responsive.

Would I have another, yes. Would it need to be a 20”, yes. Being critical would it need to be a touch longer, yes.

mariner
    Free Member

@letmetalktomark

Nice is that a standard colour or custom?
    Looks quite bright in your photo.

tall_martin

Also, did you colour match your drink to your frame!

Next level neatness 🙂

ajantom

Geometry for Mk3 and Mk4:

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/stooge-mk3-2017/

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/stooge-mk4-2020/

Large Mk3 is a little longer in reach and ETT than the Mk4 (7mm and 5mm respectively).
    HA is 69 on the mk3 and 66 on the mk4. SA is the same at 72 degrees.
    Seat-tube on the Mk4 is the same length as the smaller 18″ mk3.

bonzodog
    Free Member

6ft 1″ here and just about to go out on my mk4. Fits a treat.

letmetalktomark

@mariner – It’s a standard Stooge colour option for that model – it was one of the nicest colours of frame I’ve ever owned.

@tall_martin
    – I thought committing to drinking meths was a bit OTT but when someone notices the colour co ordination it makes the (now) addiction all worthwhile. Hic.

spooky_b329

You can get layback droppers (cheap ones at least as I have one). The layback is just at the saddle rather than a Thomson esk kink.

tall_martin

@letmetalktomark

Commitment! Although the meths would explain wanting to ride a rigid bike ; )

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Stooge – any opinions from tall riders?’ is closed to new replies.