Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Stones vs The Beatles
  • freeform5spot
    Free Member

Think the beatles were great but the Stones were much more raw and would definetly win in a bar brawl.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I just think that between the 2 groups everyone was catered for…

emac65
    Free Member

Can’t stand the Beatles so it’s the Stones by a Cornish mile for me……..

RudeBoy
    Free Member

It only dawned on me, very recently, that it was the Beat-les. Not the Beetles. Suddenly, one day, it became clear. I’d never ever noticed it.

More surprisingly, feeling like a bit of a berk, I told my little friend, later on in the pub, and she said she’d never noticed, either….

Clever.

nickc

Beatles, without a doubt. Stones are a glorified Blues band, couldn’t, and haven’t written an original thing in their lives. Beatles were genuinely innovative.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

stones for me. Half the beatles stuff was total mince

surfer
    Free Member

Coming from Liverpool I always wondered what the fuss was about and they seemed a bit bland when I was younger. Partly I am sure because I didnt want to part of the herd!

Now I am older I listen to their music and think they were truly innovative. They are still not my favourite band (listen more to Jazz) but I see now how great they where. Except for Ringo of course whose a to**er.

To hear one of the groups on X factor compared to them is comical given they couldnt sing, play an instrument or write a song!

chakaping
    Free Member

Not mad about either, weird because I was/am a music obsessive – just never got round to listening to them much.

Lennon and Macca were undoubtedly great songwriters, but I find almost all their music completely emotionally unengaging.

My opinion of the Stones has been raised significantly after listening to Exile On Main Street a bit lately though, they’ve stood the test of time a lot better than much of The Beatles output.

StumpyRider
    Free Member

I’ve been through phases of obsession for both bands and I really don’t think you can compare them like for like. The Beatles will always be viewed through slightly rose-tinted glasses (probably rightly on the whole) as innovators and a symbol of the ’60s, (the latter primarily because they split in 1970!). The role of producer George Martin can’t be underestimated either. Beatles albums were more than just the sound of 4 blokes in a band.

Anyone not convinced of their worth tho’ should read the late Ian MacDonald’s excellent Revolution in the Head. Then it’ll all make sense! 🙂

I think the fact that the Stones still continue to record and tour doesn’t help the debate. Their output probably post-Goats Head Soup (1973) is patchy at best but can you really compare Exile on Main Street to, say, Abbey Road? Almost certainly not.

The simple truth, IMO, is that both were truly great rock and roll bands who really only shared (briefly) a place in time.

pennine
    Free Member

As one who was actually around when both appeared on the rock scene, it was always the Stones for me.

miketually
    Free Member

It only dawned on me, very recently, that it was the Beat-les. Not the Beetles. Suddenly, one day, it became clear. I’d never ever noticed it.

John Lennon had a dream where a man on a flaming pie told him to name the band “Beatles with an A”.

UncleFred
    Free Member

Not really keen on early Beatles stuff I much prefer the later Albums, Sgt Peppers epecially, with the Stones it’s the other way around I like the earlier albums. However listed twice to Forty Licks the other night.

AndyP
    Free Member

as above – both good – beatles started crap and got ace, stones went the other way round.

sq225917
    Free Member

Techno, techno, techno, tektro.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Beatles = Stock Aitken & Waterman trash of their day. And professional Scousers as well, which makes them eternally dull.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The beatles were pop but the Stones rocked. Stones every day.

Maxwells silver hammer anyone?

nickc

Trouble is, the Beatles sound so mainstream, because most of what you hear today was pioneered by them. Feedback, sampling, orchestras, double tracking, all first made appearances on Beatles tracks. It’s like that Orsen Wells film, Citizen Kane, it looks dated, only because everything in it was adopted by directors all over the world. Not to say the Stones weren’t a good group, but Richards/Jagger was never a match for Lennon/McCartney.

Plus, of course The Beatles never had to borrow songs from the Stones… 😉

andym
    Free Member

Beatles, without a doubt. Stones are a glorified Blues band, couldn’t, and haven’t written an original thing in their lives. Beatles were genuinely innovative

Jaw hits floor. What did the Beatles do that was innovative? They also started out doing covers of Motown and Stax songs. Lennon and McCartney wrote good pop songs that’s as much as you can say.

BillMC

I’ve always loved the Stones despite their obvious inconsistencies and was lucky enough to see them in Hyde Park in ’69 but their creativity waned after Exile. I’ve never tired of the Beatles, homorous, quirky and creative but the Stones did do a superior version of I Wanna Be Your Man. The best Stones album was Beggar’s Banquet and much of that is acoustic, a million miles from their standard stuff.

nickc

What did the Beatles do that was innovative?

You are having a laugh? Go away, do some listening, and reading, and come back when you actually know what you’re talking about.

Stones did do a superior version of I Wanna Be Your Man

Which was written by?…

Joe Cocker did a superior version of With a little help from my Friends, Jimi did a superior version of All along the Watchtower…what’s your point? There are really really great Stones songs, but that’s it; some great songs. The body of work left by the Beatles (in a fraction of the time spent together) just blows it away.

BillMC

Nickc I think you’ve rather missed my point, ofcourse I Wanna Be Your
    Man was not a Jagger/Richard composition. I actually agree the Beatles’ legacy is much stronger.

Pook

What did the Beatles do that was innovative? They also started out doing covers of Motown and Stax songs. Lennon and McCartney wrote good pop songs that’s as much as you can say.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hi, I’m AndyM. I’ve listened to all the Beatles records. Yes all of them…

1962-1966 AND 1967-1970. So there.

Tomorrow Never Knows anyone? Day in the Life?

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Coming from Liverpool I have had the Beatles rammed down my throat for as long as I can remember. I lived in Canada for 3 years and whenever anyone found out I came from Liverpool they would start going on about the Beatles. I met a girl in Vancouver and the first time I went to her house she put sgt sodding pepper on and couldnt work out why I was trying to eat my own ears.

I quite like the Stones but dont listen to them much, my favourite 60s British band is the Spencer Davis Group.

chakaping
    Free Member

Pantsonfire – You should be grateful that your scouse accent was obviously getting you some action, not complaining!

pantsonfire
    Free Member

We are still together even though we are Beatles incompatible

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Stones vs The Beatles’ is closed to new replies.