Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stonehenge byways now illegal to ride a bike!
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

If you have any concern for rights of way this should scare you silly.

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/downloads/15053

Wiltshire CC are closing rights of way to all vehicles. That looks like it includes bicycles to me.

the TRF are challenging this in the high court. My question is why are a county council restricting access at all? Who wins?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Doesn’t mention bicycles. Bicycles are not classed as a vehicle.

AndyRT
    Free Member

A bicycle is a vehicle according to the UN’s 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. The UK is a signatory of this convention. The same convention considers that the person controlling a bicycle, whether riding or not, is an operator.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle#Legal_requirements

Klunk
    Free Member

looks like an “anti” traveler measure to me you’ll be fine on your bike as long as your not towing a caravan.

spooky_b329

It doesn’t imply bicycles, it would be a key one to mention in the examples.

Now if this was posted on Facebook it would go viral, everyone would be outraged and no one would read the link,  and we’d be reminded cyclists are red light running scum:)

Greybeard
    Free Member

It actually says “for any purpose including sleeping, camping and cooking” so if you’re just riding the bike it won’t apply. Need to read the actual Order to fully understand and I haven’t time to look for it now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, anti traveller/camping measure.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Sandwich

anti traveller/camping measure

Currently, but our bureaucracy have a habit of mission creep and using legislation in novel ways to restrict things they don’t like. See also Public Space Orders where it becomes unlawful to ride on a highway open to motorised traffic in some towns and cities.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Should they slap a general TRO on it then it could include cycles. This doesn’t, it just stops potential over nighters. Probably a problem with travellers or camper vans.

bigyinn
    Free Member

“Wilsford cum Lake” 😯

First we had the butter mountains and now this?

pampmyride
    Free Member

Is this to stop you viewing the Stones for free?

timbo678
    Free Member

Annoying as I use that stretch on my enduro motorbike, there are always travellers/campers up there, but better to remove just them rather than close the entire byway

Standard narrow mindedness

lesshaste

Yeah, the CC have fitted shiny gates at the ends/beginnings of these byways/bridleways. There are small openings to the side of them to allow access for bikes and hosses. There is a large racing stable just to the south, so I don’t think they will be banning them ( and thereby us?).

As stated above, there were a few semi permanent caravans that parked up to the north and south of SH, I guess it is to put a stop to that.  Bit of a shame really, felt like it was harking back to the days of the free festivals.

cooie

“Wilsford cum Lake” 😯

First we had the butter mountains and now this?

Excellent  🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bigyinn, Sting lives there.

Just saying…

crankslave

Since they closed the Shrewton road, the number of cars pulling off the 303 esp in the summer to look at the stones has become a real pain and generally really dangerous, so I’m sure that’s another consideration. Plus <span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>I wouldn’t be surprised if English Heritage have a hand in this stopping people getting an easy free view, their guides/wardens near the Byway can be a total bunch of asshats.</span>

It has been quite amusing riding past the assorted afternoon cider drinkers that used to camp up there, but it was getting quite manky.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

I really wouldn’t worry about this. Dont think your ever going to be stopped. This is more about controlling motorised vehicles in those areas, especally around the winter and summer soltice.

It gives the police the ability to move anyone on in the area.

Doubt its anything to bo with cycling

uggski

My understanding of that is you cannot enter the byway if you are going to stop for camping sleeping or cooking. Enduro bikes and bikes should be ok.

prohibition of entry to all
    vehicles (which includes caravan, caravanette or like vehicles, horse box, trailer, carriage or horse
    and carriage) for any purpose including sleeping, camping and cooking on Byway 11 Amesbury,
    Byway 12 Amesbury (south), Byway 12 Amesbury (north) at their junctions with the A303.

But the any purpose is a bit worrying

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bikes are lumped under the same category as a horse where byways and bridleways or Rights of Way in general are concerned. #mybikeisnotahorse

Though that’s normally an annoyance in that we’re made to ride on paths unsuitable for bikes or destroyed by horses, yet banned from those that are ideal for bikes and suffer less damage riding on them (wide well bedded in footpaths), and even less damage sometimes than from walkers.

In this case though… I think the bike = horse still applies and sounds like okay so long as you’re not going to stop for camping.

Any purpose – depends if that includes passing through.

A byway that excludes vehicles including horses seems to be a reclassification of the RoW to not be a byway any more. Sounds more like a footpath.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

They have been after closing that Byway for years and it went to court few years back and got stopped as they said to dangerous for motorbikes on the A303 maybe they will change they mind when the tunnel comes HA HA.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stonehenge byways now illegal to ride a bike!’ is closed to new replies.