Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stone stacking
  • imnotverygood
    rene59
    Free Member

Beaches ‘spoiled’: Should rock stacking be banned?

Yes along with building cairns willy-nilly here and there.

richmars

Why do people think that the natural view needs to be improved?

jekkyl

Meh

Northwind

I wonder about the people who’ll complain about it and say it spoils places, but don’t just kick the stones over.

stevious

Don’t really like the stacks that much but they’re nicer to look at than a sign saying ‘STONE STACKING PROHIBITED’ would be

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve kicked over a few on Chesil and enjoyed it.

jekkyl

Who would enforce such a ban?

What would the punishment be for those flouting it?

Who actually gives a shit? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Klunk
    Free Member

they’re all so naff the skill is having the biggest at the top and the smallest at the bottom.

epicyclo

It’s art.

Only a cultural heathen would be offended.

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Really struggling to care?

Give it a few months and storms will knock them all over.

Danger to wildlife? Infinitesimally small, more likely to get drowned by the big blue thing next to it.

What next, trying to ban sandcastles?

taxi25
    Free Member

Don’t really like the stacks that much but they’re nicer to look at than a sign saying ‘STONE STACKING PROHIBITED’ would be

This a thousand times. !!

globalti
    Free Member

I blame Andy Goldsworthy.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I could see the point if the rocks were being removed from somewhere to be stacked but every picture there has a stack surrounded by more rocks ffs. Tide will deal with that.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Ban them, and ban sand castles, too.

tomhoward

How many stones would have to be on top of one another to be a stack?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

It is kind worth noting that hill paths often use Cairns as waymarkers, in the article it mentions that this could confuse people…. who get’s lost on a beach though? and if you build a stone stack beside a hill path then you are also contributing to the waymarking.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The odd one is fine, but I was at Skara Brae a couple of weeks ago and pretty much the whole beach seemed to be filled with stacked rocks.

Kinda thought it spoiled the place tbh.  The odd one here and there doesn’t bother me, but when it starts looking like a city scape I think it has gone a bit far 😉

wordnumb
    Free Member

Makka Pakka can (bleep) off an’ all.

gowerboy

Someone has spent hours stacking stones and arranging stones into shapes on the limestone scree around south west Gower.

It it has annoyed a lot of people, including me, because unlike the dynamic environment of a storm beach, the scree has sat undisturbed for hundred if not thousands of years in the dry valleys leading down to the rocky shore.  It forms uniformly smooth slopes of bleached rubble sized angular limestone and is part of what makes the landscape special there.

Whereas as on a beach the stacked stones will be flattened by wind and waves, the shapes formed here will remain in place for years and years if nobody knocked them down.

The feel of the place been spoilt a little by the stone stacking.  It breaks the leave no trace ‘ethic’ and I feel it was a selfish endeavour.  I believe the stacker has now stopped under pressure from local people.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stone stacking’ is closed to new replies.