• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by enmac.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • STOLEN – Scafell Pike
  • honeybadgerx

BBC linky

While part of me thinks this is quite a trivial thing, at the same time, the whole ethos of using the mountain responsibly involves not damaging it and taking parts away with you. Sadly this will no doubt give the artist more publicity, and worse potentially encourage others to do the same.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t understand this. The top of the Pike is covered by a huge stone structure

mrjmt
    Free Member

Some of his other work mentioned here is 😯

my favourite is

a series of pictures showing him taking a mouthful of milk from a cow’s udder, walking for several hours, then giving it to a cat.

D0NK

Some of his other work mentioned here is

sounds like a wazzok

awaits flaming from the art community…
    is not perturbed in the slightest.

hora
    Free Member

When I was on Hellvelyn I popped a nice looking piece of stone in my backpack. Do they want that back too?

dashed
    Free Member

I think the insinuation is he chipped a lump of rock off, although as far as I’m aware, this isnt confirmed and he’s prob just picked up a loose stone

jekkyl

When I was helvellyn I left a deposit rather than taking something away. It’s important to give I feel.

honeybadgerx

hora – Member
    When I was on Hellvelyn I popped a nice looking piece of stone in my backpack

You’re an idiot then in my opinion.

hora
    Free Member

roighhttt….

Lets club together and stop these pesky lot from stealing the Peak District

andyl
    Free Member

I was slightly baffled by that “blot” on the landscape when we visited last summer.

tonyd

You’re an idiot then in my opinion.

Seriously? For picking up a rock? Don’t have kids – I can’t take mine for a walk without coming back with an assortment of leaves, stones, sticks!

If the ‘artist’ deliberately chipped the top inch off then perhaps they have a point, but I’ll bet he’s not the first to have done it. As for his other work, sounds like a complete nutjob to me.

I’ve not been up Scafell but isn’t the ‘peak’ a cairn? In which case he probably took a stone that was randomly placed and easily replaced.

martinhutch

Top inch of what? – it’s covered by a bloody cairn, and the whole top of SP is a mass of rubble anyhow. One tiny rock is neither here nor there.

Some of the responses from Cumbria Tourism, the Wainwright Society and other folk critical of this bloke are faintly embarrassing to say the least, as are the people on UKC who seem to think this is worthy of some kind of email campaign.

I hope they never find out about all the stolen bits of Lakeland I spirit away on my tyres after a day’s riding. I expect there will be nothing left by this time next year.

trevron73
    Free Member

Whilst in Moscow in ’97 we had red square cordoned off for us and a catering tents were set up. I extracted a “loose” cobble stone and broke it up into manageable pieces and brought them home . i still have my piece of Red square. I was bricking it going through customs but the tents were due to stay erected for 3 days after we left, also i had a **** in the Kremlin- for no other reason than to tell people at parties.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

also i had a **** in the Kremlin- for no other reason than to tell people at parties.

I took a slash in the Blue Peter garden. Not for the same reason, though. I was just bursting!

martinhutch

I took a slash in the Blue Peter garden. Not for the same reason, though. I was just bursting!

You do realise that was overlooked by anyone having their lunch in the canteen? 🙂

And Percy Thrower.

dazh

Ridiculous. If they’re that bothered about the rocks on the mountains they’d be better off telling the tourists to stop moving the rocks into stupid piles every quarter of a mile.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Most park rangers are more fed up with people carry stones up the hill and leaving them at the top and on unofficial cairns than taking the odd stone away.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@hora is that near castleton?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sound’s to me like Hora was performing an act of public service.
    Whilst I’ve heard people complain about too many people on the summit, too many clouds on the summit, too much rain on the summit, too much wind on the summit and too much rubbish on the summit, I’ve never heard anyone complain that it was insufficiently stony.

nick1962
    Free Member

Just below your link OP is a far more interesting story!
    Linky 2

jekkyl

@dazh, not sure if you’re being sarcastic mate, the little cairns on the path are built to help walkers find the path when there’s fog/mist/snow that reduces visibility.

slowoldman

@dazh is quite right. There are far too many cairns often in confusing locations and many are actually being dismantled.

By the way, re. the cement works in the Hope Valley. Just where do you think cement comes from?

dazh

Not being sarcastic at all. The cairns are not only an eyesore, but are also a safety hazard as they encourage walkers to follow them rather than planning their route properly and using a map or other navigation device to guide them. I’m not against the odd strategically placed cairn or waypoint to aid navigation, like on the top of a plateau or other difficult to find summit, but it’s got silly in the Lake District.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

The cairns are not only an eyesore, but are also a safety hazard as they encourage walkers to follow them rather than planning their route properly and using a map or other navigation device to guide them.

The cairns on the Cumbrian fells are an important navigation tool that we use on a twice weekly basis, particularly when riding in the snow, the dark and in cloudy conditions.

maxtorque

jeez, how sad and empty must ones life be to worry that someone took a small rock, weighing i guess around 1lb off a mountain that probably weighs several billion tonnes and off of which natural erosion removes several hundred thousand tonnes of rocks a year…………

MoreCashThanDash

It’s illegal to take a rock out of a Canadian National Park.

It is perfectly legal to drive a big oversized tourist bus all over the Athabasca Glacier leaving a dirty trail of exhaust all over it’s pristine whiteness however.

Those crazy Canucks, eh?

stever
    Free Member

Who knew[1], it was all a big fat wheeze… http://lakedistrictjourno.com/2015/03/29/lost-on-scafell-britains-sense-of-humour/

[1] Me, I knew 🙂

enmac
    Free Member

[1] Me, I knew

Yeah, I am expecting a “sighting” of the Loch Ness Monster any day now.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘STOLEN – Scafell Pike’ is closed to new replies.