• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mav12.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • stolen key advice please
  • mav12
    Free Member

my girlfriends car key was stolen in a break in last night vw beetle 2005 we have another key so can still use the car just after some advice on what best course of action would be,
    can the missing key be deleted from the car,
    if we inform the insurance company what would they require us to do ,
    thers 2 locks drivers door and ignition

and advice appreciated thanks

hora
    Free Member

Store the car at another address ASAP.

It WILL go otherwise.

Speak to the insurer- replacement ignition(?)/reprogram wont be cheap.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think you’d need new keys and for them to be re-programmed for the car. If you can’t do that today then i’d look for a way to disable the car for tonight as it probably won’t be there tomorrow morning. Maybe remove the battery or remove the fuel pump fuse or something along those lines.

Flaperon

Move the car ASAP.

The missing key can be deactivated at a dealer. If you can’t find somewhere else to keep it for a bit, get a big wheel clamp.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Sell the car ASAP.

bearnecessities

Move the girlfriend ASAP.

thegreatape
    Free Member

EDIT Not the time for piss taking.

Can you block it in with another vehicle?

mav12
    Free Member

i have a disckloc the big yellow thing that goes over the steering wheel i should be able to block it with my car as well will see about disabling as well

bearnecessities

More seriously, it happened to me. Vehicle moved, new keys, all fine.*

It’s a shitty feeling, so your missus has sympathy.

*Well, not for the brand new focus they actually took and then torched 3 hours later – didn’t give a crap about the car but there were a couple of sentimental things in there 😈

BigJohn

Just change the (much cheaper) door lock and put up with having 2 keys.

craigxxl
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member
    Just change the (much cheaper) door lock and put up with having 2 keys.

Remote central locking. Who puts keys in doors nowadays.

mav12
    Free Member

ok i have moved the car to a secure location will ring around tomorrow see what the options are

TiRed

EDIT Not the time for piss taking.

Can you block it in with another vehicle?

Yes our neighbour tried this. Thieves smashed the window of the other vehicle, released the handbrake and pushed it out of the way. They won’t worry about what it bumps into 😉

I’d just remove the fuses if you don’t need to drive it.

spooky_b329

Pretty sure you can disable the lost key to prevent the engine being started, but it will still unlock the door via the lock.

Insurance will normally cover replacement locks if the person who stole the key is likely to know where the car is.

garage-dweller

Read the manual. my ford has the instructions on how to revert back to a single key (ie block out some or all others) for just such situations. Lots and lots of unlock, lock, switch on switch off combinations. I had an 05 golf before iirc the info was also in the manual for that.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Stick a decent d lock through a wheel and they have to cut that, or get the wheel off and bring another….works bestif you don’t leave the spare in the car

Candodavid
    Free Member

Speak to your VW dealer, take car in and hook up to ECU, this can then be programmed removing the missing key, easy as pie

fasthaggis

OP
    Her Insurance will insist that all the locks are changed ASAP, getting a new code on it’s own is not enough and only a temporary measure. As others have said, store the car at another location till you get a code change .If it has to come back to the same address before the lock change, make sure it’s blocked in and no valuables’ left inside.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Or, leave the car at your address and hide in the bushes with some Bombers?

mav12
    Free Member

rang the dealers they can delete the stolen key so it wont start the car b ,just deciding whether to tell the insurance co or not

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘stolen key advice please’ is closed to new replies.