Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • stolen bike *sniffle*
  • ittaika
    Free Member

if anyone sees a black cotic soul with reba forks, 3*9 shimano xt groupset and dented mavic xc717 wheels being ridden around north glasgow please let me know… my bike was stolen from the roof of the car this morning in the 20 minutes i was away at the dentist. now i’m sad. time to argue with the insurance company and try not to get angry with their offer of vouchers (or possibly nothing at all).

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Your at fault and doubt insurance will pay up.
    thanks for raising the prices for all of us though, good job.

🙄

wwaswas

so his insurance won’t pay and the rest of us will have to pay more as a result? It can’t be both surely?

OP: you have my sympathy – it probably didn;t feel like a big deal at the time when you left it.

binners

Sorry to hear that, but…. you left your bike on your car roof, parked in a city, while you went to the dentist? And expected it to still be there when you got back? Seriously? 😯

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m in North Glasgow, will keep an eye out.

simon67
    Free Member

No he’s not a fault at all. It’s the tosser who took his bike that’s at fault! We shouldn’t have to assume that some lowlife scum will help themselves to our property if it’s not locked in a vault. Decent human beings don’t nick stuff.

binners

Decent human beings don’t nick stuff

That’s very true. But take a look around your average city centre street and I’ll wager they may be the odd cheeky looking scamp who may not match that description.

We shouldn’t have to assume that some lowlife scum will help themselves to our property if it’s not locked in a vault

Thats pretty much entirely the presumption I work on. I know that when some scally is checking out my bike, all he sees is a wad of notes! Its sad but true. So you have to behave accordingly

Anyway.. here’s some flowers and a ickle fwuffy bunny wabbit

Teetosugars
    Free Member

time to argue with the insurance company and try not to get angry with their offer of vouchers (or possibly nothing at all).

I’d guess?

More to the point, what is there to argue?

nmdbase
    Free Member

onceinalifetime, typical STW dick answer, well done.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Exactly..

binners

I suppose there’s always the option of not being entirely honest with the insurance company. I know that they’re as honest as the day is long, and have all our best interests at heart, so it’d go against the grain, but….

Scamper
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that. I presume the bike is covered on car insurance or `house contents’ valuables away from the house?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Exactly..

+1

MrAgreeable

A lot of fancy roof racks (like those Thule ones) have a locking mechanism which requires a key to open, and therefore you might assume it has some security benefits.

They don’t really work, and are easily picked, but I know a number of people who’ve lost bikes off roof racks that appeared securely locked. You live and learn.

flowerpower
    Free Member

[head above parapet] I had my bike stolen from the roof of my car in Liverpool. Insured with M&S under ‘contents away from home’. Took some negotiation, but I recieved full cash replacement value 🙂 . Would be quite happy if onceinalifetimes premium went up as a result – appologies to the rest of you 😳 [/head above parapet]

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Very sorry to hear that. I’m up near Balloch so will look out for it up here too. I see a lot of bikes coming up route 7 out of Glasgow. What colour are the forks?

Scamper
    Free Member

Flowerpower – good to here you get full replacement cost with M&S – is this RRP on bike components for a self build or what you actually get them for? And did they want loads of receipts or photos of the original buid?

flowerpower
    Free Member

Scamper – The bike stolen from the car roof was a Commencal Supernormal, standard build but no longer available. I was initially put onto ‘Wheelies’ their pet bike shop who offered me a Scott Scale as an alternative. It took some discussion – initially with the manager of Wheelies who agreed that they didn’t have anything with a head angle as slack as the SN, and then with M&S who only wanted to pay me replacement price – 20% for cash. My argument was that the policy was like for like, so if Wheelies couldn’t supply it I had the right to receive full cash value to purchase elsewhere. I had originally bought the bike from Merlin so they gave me a copy receipt. I just stayed calm and polite with teh guys on the phone, was passed backwards and forwards, but held out for what I wanted.

A couple of years before I had a Cove Handjob home build stolen from my garage (yep onceinalifetime – it’s all my fault 😉 ) That was also M&S and I listed every single thing on the build and priced it up from CRC. I sent the list in with a photo of the bike (no receipts). Again it was passed to Wheelies – who repriced my list and reduced the costs slightly, but then added an extra £50 for the build cost so the total they offered was as close as dammit to my estimate. This was paid straight out in cash – great service. Not sure about the recent M&S changes – but they have been great to me.

vorlich
    Free Member

OP, stick some photos up if you have them.

I don’t let me bike out of my sight when on the roofbars. Occasionally pop into Tesco for two minutes with it on, but park near the store and constantly check out the window from the beer aisle. 😀

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I really can’t believe you did that.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

To those critisising my answer, I challenge you to do the same as op and see the result.
    Not so upfront now are you!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

So you stand by your statement that the insurance won’t pay out but somehow everyone else’s insurance premiums will go up?? Genius.
    I think you’ll find the thieves make are premiums go up, if they didn’t steal then people wouldn’t be claiming would they?? Still don’t let things like facts get in the way of a poor rant will you.

The blokes just had his bike nicked, can you not manage a bit compassion?
    Please let us all know when you get dealt a shit hand in life so we can all point and laugh at you and say its all your own fault!

Gorehound
    Free Member

onceinalifetime – Member

Don’t you just love the attitudes of some losers.

Hope you get your bike back and the scumbag who stole her contracts syphalis from his pitbull.

Cougar

I know a number of people who’ve lost bikes off roof racks that appeared securely locked. You live and learn.

I know two, me and my OH. I naively thought that being locked onto a roof-rack in a packed middle-class shopping centre car park was secure. They smashed the crap out of the cycle carriers to get the bikes, cost me two new bikes and two new carriers.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

I too hope he gets his bike back but wonder what on earth his logic of leaving a bike on top of car when being at an appointment in GLASGOW.

😯

Atleast wack it in your car even if it is filthy.

kendonagasaki

Onceinalifetime…
    I held back after your cocky comment after my bike was stolen, but you’re a dick..
    Have you ever had anything stolen? It’s the smackheads who are at fault and not us who are just getting on with our life.
    Dick!

jim
    Free Member

They don’t really work, and are easily picked, but I know a number of people who’ve lost bikes off roof racks that appeared securely locked. You live and learn.

Depending on the racks you can also use the bike as a pretty effective lever to defeat the jaws. Handy when you arrive for a ride without the key but not so great for security 😐

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Really held back there didn’t you, course I have and quite a violent robbery infact but re read my replies, muppet! 🙄

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Reread your replies. I’ll refer back to the previous post that is about accurate as it gets around here.

Ever heard the term “kicking a man when he’s down”. Not sure why you feel the need to have digs at someone when their clearly having a shite time of it!

OP, fingers crossed for getting it back fella. Maybe throw a picture of it up on here so it’s in people’s minds.
    I know chances are slim but I’ve seen on here a few times people being reunited. Hopefully this can be one of those cases instead of the usual keyboard warrior bullshite.

wayniac
    Free Member

I rarely post but what a knob replying like that onceinalifetime, just keep it to yourself.

Good luck getting your bike back, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

kendonagasaki

Really held back there didn’t you, course I have and quite a violent robbery infact but re read my replies, muppet

If you read what I typed, I said that I held back after your attitude towards my robbery. (which I felt was smug, arrogant and pointless)
    I now see that you have to have some kind of smartarse reply to anybody who has suffered a bike theft.
    Dick.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

ittaika really sorry to hear that, will keep my eyes peeled for you!

joat

I know this doesn’t help the OP, but may help others in future in that I always use a supplementary D-lock or chain through the rear triangle and chain and around the roofbars. It’s not perfect, but a lot more work needs to be done before some scroat rides off with my bike(s).

vorlich
    Free Member

althepal

Guessing it wasn’t one of the nicer bits of North Glasgow?
    That is pretty shit though, as one of the responses above!
    Will keep my eyes open- whereabouts was it btw? Would be good to know.

timnwild

Sorry to hear it mate – onceinalifetime, you’re a tool (not the useful kind)

footflaps

I used to use a cable lock round the roof bars to secure my bikes to the roof for years. I only stopped using the roofrack as it kills the mpg and now stick them on the back seat with the wheels off.

ittaika
    Free Member

cheers for the supportive messages!

as for onceinalifetime, my original response to you would have got me banned, but the others have covered it pretty well. i do agree that it was daft of me to leave it locked on the roof-rack – live and learn – but i don’t get the making it more expensive for the rest of us comment. so you never claim on insurance as you’re thinking of the impact on the rest of society?

ittaika
    Free Member

binners – thanks for the flowers and bunny, but someone has stolen them now and left a little red cross. what’s the world coming to? onceinalifetime, your bunny and flowers insurance is about to go up as i’m claiming for them too. sorry mate…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘stolen bike *sniffle*’ is closed to new replies.