• This topic has 40 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gogg.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Stolen bike – i've found it
  • gonzy
    Free Member

my DH bike that got stolen last summer has appeared on ebay…
    the ad was from last november so i’m not sure if the guy still has it as it just says that the auction has ended
    i’m not really that interested in getting the bike back…although it would be a bonus
    i just want to know of there is anyway i can track him down so i can send round the plod to deal with him
    link for the ad is below
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intense-M1-haro-dhr-/141122019577?nma=true&si=fIPB%252BbQd2I%252Bq%252BalPUcDPqU2JObk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

falkirk-mark

Speak to ebay

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve checked the ebay rules on this and i have to contact the plod first and get them to contact ebay to investigate it further

hora
    Free Member

That is the Gonzo of the Muppets. Uuuugly! 🙂

wwaswas

contact the police.

I’d also email the mods on here to get the link removed in case it’s spotted.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That is the Gonzo of the Muppets. Uuuugly!

I’m not usualy one to criticies other peoples bikes, but

tomaso
    Free Member

The Police have a unit that deal with ebay and can get results very fast. They will bhe able to get details of seller and buyer and pay them a visit.

I found my bike on the bay and the Police acted quickly against the seller and got it back, but then went through his account to contact every buyer of a bike or power tool in the last 18 months to check them against the stolen register.

gonzy
    Free Member

^^ thanks guys…Hora i expected that after the miley cyrus chicken thing!! 😀
    it might look ugly but it was a beast of a bike!!
    anyway like i said i’m not all that fussed about getting the bike back, although if it can find its way back to me then it would be a bonus…though technically it would belong to the insurance company so i would have t speak to them as to what would happen in that case.
    if i were to get it back i would have my eye on quite a few of the components….but my main objective is getting the plod to deal with him and if by any chance i find out who he is and where he resides then at some future point in time i may give myself the pleasure of introducing the world to him from a new perspective …that of a wheelchair

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve emailed all the details to GMP so lets see what they have to say about it.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I had this recently. Police were very busy, so eventually had to win the auction then get an address for collection. The police were informed of my plan to visit the seller and persuade him to return the bike. Police then took action with the address I gave them and made 2 visits to the house. On the second visit the guy was in and they collected the bike.

Sadly they were not able to prosecute anyone.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

It’s extremely ugly…

however, it says it can be collected. Can’t you go outside the house (with a friend) and then call the police saying you know your property’s inside. If you have proof of ownership with you, I’d imagine it’s a faster method of getting a result.

gonzy
    Free Member

i’m a bit reluctant to contact him. i’ll wait to see what the police say first. theres no geotag on the picture so i cant locate him that way but i might get a friend to contact him and casually enquire about the bike. if he has still got it then we’ll take it from there and see what happens.

hora
    Free Member

😆 saying that my bike is ugly but it rides great 😀

RichPenny
    Free Member

Thats what I did Gonzy, a mate bid on it for me, then we got contact details.

gonzy
    Free Member

richpenny – the sale ended back in november but there were no bids on it so i assume he hasnt sold it yet. this may be due to the fact that i did advertise the bike as stolen everywhere i could think of, or because it is ugly (in the eyes of many it would seem). its a very unique bike in its appearance and does look ugly in those pics…the pics i have of it look better (but i would say that).
    i’ve asked a mate to contact him as a buyer to ask if he still has it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Did the insurance pay out? Ive had a poke and cant find any infos.

Bregante

O.P, ygm 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

insurance paid out so it would be the property of the insurance company. what they choose to do with it if it did get recovered would be anyones guess but maybe they’d just write it off and say keep it we dont care or they sell it back to me on the cheap
    either of these outcomes would be a bonus….all i want is for the police to try and prosecute the guy trying to fence it off. they managed to lift a fingerprint from the scene but had no hits, but if they collar this guy and his print matches the one they found they can hopefully do him for theft and possession of stolen goods…if not i’ll do him at some point

Bregante

if not i’ll do him at some point

Could be an innocent purchaser of course.

gonzy
    Free Member

Could be an innocent purchaser of course.

that’s true but i seriously doubt it…seems to me they waited for the dust to settle before trying to sell it.

either way i’ll let your colleagues deal with them instead so i dont have to.
    BTW thanks for the e-mail

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

holy mary, I feel my eyes have been infected with ugly.

*shudders*

gonzy
    Free Member

update: i created a fake ebay account and contacted the seller with a view to “buying” the bike. i got his details and passed them onto the police and they obtained a warrant to search his house. they executed the warrant this morning and have now got the bike in their possession and i have had to contact my insurance company who have sold the bike back to me for a small fee!!

Murray

Way to go Gonzy! Nice result.

wwaswas

result 🙂

gogg
    Free Member

hora

saying that my bike is ugly but it rides great

Reminds me of an ex, sadly she didn’t feel quite the same way about me…

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Great news.

Now you can give one of the ugliest bikes I’ve seen a Norse burial! 😉

What’s its replacement?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I notice his account is stil live on ebay….not that it means anythign as he could just go and set up another tomorrow.

hora
    Free Member

Great news!!! 😀

gonzy
    Free Member

What’s its replacement?

i didnt get a replacement. i used the cash to upgrade another bike i’d just built at the time of the theft.
    i will be stripping it down to transfer some of the parts to the current bike and selling off the parts i dont need.

I notice his account is stil live on ebay….not that it means anythign as he could just go and set up another tomorrow.

the seller wasnt the thief….he bought it from cash generators so the police are going to try and track down whoever sold it to them.

gonzy
    Free Member

Great news!!!

might have more than a few parts for sale soon hora if you’re interested… 😀

evh22
    Free Member

Did the police look round the house? If you look on his ebay buying he’s been buying fish tank pumps and hydroponics stuff. Wonder what he’s doing this those….?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Great news out of interest what was the fee?

jools182
    Free Member

does it still have the

Shimano aderalia

?

gonzy
    Free Member

Did the police look round the house? If you look on his ebay buying he’s been buying fish tank pumps and hydroponics stuff. Wonder what he’s doing this those….?

to be fair…he wasnt the thief…he bought it legitimately…he had the sale receipt form cash generators to confirm this…i feel sorry for him as he’s lost out on whatever he paid for it
    he may be able to get his money back from cash generators for selling him a stolen bike.
    he even messaged me on the fake account to tell me the police had took it off him and that he didnt know the bike was stolen…he said he suspected i was the real owner and if so then he was glad i’d got it back (now my concern is if he was involved in some way then he knows where i live and will send his scrote mates around for attempt number 2)

Great news out of interest what was the fee?

£100

does it still have the

Shimano aderalia
    ?

not sure yet…still waiting for the payment to clear and for the insurers to let the police know so they can let me go and collect it

empireofthefun
    Free Member

Glad this has a happy ending. Even if the bike ain’t to everyone’s taste. 😯

gonzy
    Free Member

Even if the bike ain’t to everyone’s taste

you’re right it might not be to everyone’s taste but for me it was a really nice bike. seeing as its based on the Intense M1 which wasnt a bad looking bike IMO i liked the way it looked.
    obviously the saddle isnt to everyones taste and neither are the 24″ wheels…but i didnt buy it for its looks but for the way it rode which was awesome.
    to be fair the image posted on the ebay ad wasnt the best…taken in the dark made it look uglier than it really is…so here’s a picture of it in better light

Trimix
    Free Member

Cash generator – they are perfect for selling stollen stuff.

What checks can / do they carry out ?

Bregante

to be fair…he wasnt the thief…he bought it legitimately..

Now I’m not one to say I told you so but…… 🙂

Glad you got it back mate

Bregante

Legally, all that any second hand shop has to do to comply with the law is ask for proof of I.d from the “owner”

gonzy
    Free Member

Now I’m not one to say I told you so but……

Glad you got it back mate

but you did and were correct…so i stand corrected and thanks or the advice you gave me.

i would have thought places like that ask for ID of some sort

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Stolen bike – i've found it’ is closed to new replies.