Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Stolen – 2011 Giant Anthem X2 – Baildon, Bradford
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Drove back from Mountain Mayhem last night, with the bike on the roof. First thing I did when home was take the bike off the roof and straight in the shed.

Got up this morning and all the camping gear is neatly piled up outside the shed, and the bike has gone. Nothing else has been taken, including my old Klein hardtail.

Its a standard spec small 2011 X2, the only difference being 2.25 Nobby Nic’s and KMC X10L chain.

I’ll put searches on Ebay and Gumtree. Does anyone know of any local Police Officers who are interested in bike crime?

wwaswas

that’s a shit thing to wake up to 🙁

I’m sorry man. Only ever felt that sick stomach twice before in my adult life, both times a bike stolen

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve been in touch the insurance company (Direct Line) and they advised that they use an intermediary to replace bikes. I said thats fine if its like for like and they have asked their intermediary company to provide a quotation only at this stage.

I’ve just spoken to the intermediary, and they asked what bike it was etc, how much I paid, and what the main reason for me choosing that bike and spec. I said I chose the spec because it was full XT groupset. I asked if that would mean they could offer me any comparative bike with an XT group set and she said yes they could, but she wouldn’t discuss it any further.

Also I paid £1800, but the equivalent specced Anthem, now X1 is £2400, will they just pay out to £1800, or will they pay out to the full value.

Still cant get over that some one will follow you home to nick your bike. At some traffic lights 5 miles from home or so 2 blokes in a van had a very good look at the bike, and I thought at the time they were looking a bit too much.

hrcmonty
    Free Member

Funkydunc

Don’t suppose you have a description of the Van or the Blokes do you.
    even though you only suspect it at this point.
    Sorry to hear about your loss, I’m in Guiesely area and the other day a Van with 2 Blokes in it were having a good luck down everyones drives.

It was an old Merc, white van with 2 Afro Caribbean males in it.

If i’m outside working or whatever i never have the Garage door open for long. but this time they had a good old look straight into the Garage!!!

kevkitch
    Free Member

I’m sorry to hear that. Thieving scum are everywhere nowadays.

I live in Bingley, and commute to Allerton and back every day, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for it.

Hopefully Direct Line will get it sorted quickly.

woody2000

Eyes open here in Drig FD. Motherlovers 👿

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hrcmonty, definately not same guys, they were white, white transit with a company name on the side, but very small writing.

legend
    Free Member

Also I paid £1800, but the equivalent specced Anthem, now X1 is £2400, will they just pay out to £1800, or will they pay out to the full value.

Like for like means exactly that, you should get an X1. However, if they offered a (for example) Scott equivalent then that’s where you might have to start negotiating – if you don’t like it that is

ton

have a drive round Ravo estate for starters.

eyes peeled in leeds.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about that…

A mate of mine was offered a like for like replacement or a payment of the current model value. I imagine you will receive the same.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

2 days later now and the Police have not been in touch at all. Should I be stamping my middle class feet up and down, or should I just move on?

patriotpro
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother stamping your feet, whether middle class or otherwise…

Your time would be much wiser spent providing your insurance company with the relevant information and chasing them up for a turnaround time on replacing your steed.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The Police have actually been in touch today. Held their hands up that not much they can do, and that they don’t actually know where a lot of high end bikes are going that are nicked in the area as they are not re-appearing again. So sounds like it will have been broken up in to bits to be sold…

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Where shouts in Baildon do you live mate? I’ll keep an eye out tonight as off out shortly for a ride.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Munkey are you for real?

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Im not going to say on a public internet forum where I live in a relatively small village.

Don’t get me wrong though I appreciate completely that people are looking out for it.

nellycrosscheck
    Free Member

Eyes are peeled in Thackley for you mate….

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Wasn’t asking for the exact address,another bike got stolen in the village on the same evening and we are putting the word out on Facebook,that’s all.

tinsy
    Free Member

Sorry, it made me so mad when mine and the wifes got stolen…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

FunkyDunc, my advice would be to buy an estate car/mpv or similar and lose the racks, otherwise ebay etc or that 2nd hand shop in shipley (unlikely but I’ve seen nice bikes outside there before). if they’ve got any sense it’ll be stripped and sold in bits. Also, they now know where you live, i’d expect them to be back at a later date in the expectation of a replacement.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It was the first time a roof rack had been used, hence convinced why followed.

Chunky no worries, can’t be too careful on this internet thing, after I posted initially I wondered if I should even put Baildon. Was it another decent bike that was nicked ?

martinhutch

I’m driving through Keighley, Shipley and south Leeds today. Will keep eyes peeled.

Sadly, would expect it’s a long way from West Yorkshire already though.

Time for tracking devices inside the frame? High-end bike theft is getting beyond a joke round here.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

By the sounds of it there were actually two bikes taken from a locked garage in the village. Not sure on value but will find out and let you know.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Sadly, would expect it’s a long way from West Yorkshire already though.

my guess would be locals (Bradford/Leeds), they don’t even have to follow you to your doorstep, just roughly the street, come back later and spot your car.

Also, you often see cars parked outside houses where the racks are left on the roof permanently, which gives the game away a bit. Don’t know if Dunc did that, left the rack on the car overnight.

edlong
    Free Member

Thanks for that last thought B.A. – I’ve got my car parked outside my house with a rack semi-permanently on the roof. Will be coming off tonight…

Never even thought about it and I’m always really careful about keeping the garage door shut etc.

greeble
    Free Member

I’ve got my car parked outside my house with a rack semi-permanently on the roof. Will be coming off tonight…

bit late now.

they know where you live

smiff
    Free Member

sounds like hell up there.
    large scale use of decoy bikes (trackers) + longer sentencing is only way i can see police reducing this..

in today’s CTC email:

“Last year over 500,000 bikes were stolen in the UK (one each minute), with a recovery rate of under 5 per cent. It has been estimated that of the 17 per cent of cyclists that experience bicycle theft, 66 per cent cycle less often and 24 per cent stop altogether.”

presumably for all cyclists rather than keen mtb-ers but still 🙁

AJames
    Free Member

That’s S H 1T, local and will keep eye open.

Mugboo

Funkydunc

Had a mate in today who also lives in Baildon. He had his garage broken into over the last week.
    He thought it was weird that nothing was missing till the Police told him that they are just looking for high end bikes…

They said that the thieving t**ts move from area to area. Might be worth suggesting they check out CCTV in Shipley & Guisley for decent sized vans if you can narrow down the time?

patriotpro
    Free Member

OP – How’s it going on the insurance front?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Stolen – 2011 Giant Anthem X2 – Baildon, Bradford’ is closed to new replies.