Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stoke Fleming
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Nice place to live?Any good for mtbing and other outdoor pursuits?Also is there any public transport and some decent shops nearby(Dartmouth I suppose)?Thanks for any pointers in advance.Neil.

bodgy
    Free Member

Hi, i’ve been to Stoke Fleming annually to visit friends for the past seven or so years. Great little village, loads of countryside but not the best bridleway infrastructure for biking, and very hilly. Great beaches, nice little pub and a busy bar/ restaurant. Newsagent/Post office/shop for your basics. Good village school. Can be fairly quiet outside of school holidays. It’s quite expensive to buy or rent.

Dartmouth is the hub, and has supermarkets & proper shops. Regatta / August bank holiday weekend is super busy.  Quite a lot of local events going on, especially if you like boats. You’ll want to think carefully if you are reliant on public transport; there are buses into Dartmouth quite frequently, but out of hours you’re looking at taxis.

Go for it. It’s a fab little village.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply bodgy.Do you knowif you can cycle of road to places like Dartmouth and Paignton?Do you know if there is a regular bus service through the day or is it once every blue moon?I thought hilly would be good for a bit of cheeky downhill riding.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    qwerty
    Free Member

Nearest proper off road riding is Dartmoor.

I don’t think you’ll get to Dartmouth off road by bike.

The area best suits sea water based activities.

Nice fish n chips at the Start Bay Inn.

bodgy
    Free Member

It’s quite rugged coastal terrain. There’s a good footpath network, but limited bridleways and quite small fields because of the terrain – lots of gates. You could easily cycle on road, although the initial hill up and out of Dartmouth is a total bastard on cold legs.

bodgy
    Free Member

Walking along the coastal path from SF into Dartmouth, then catching the river taxi up the Dart to have lunch and a bottle of the local Sharpham’s wine whilst overlooking the river at the Stone Cafe in Dittisham is a sublime experience.

jam-bo

does anyone actually live in stoke fleming? i always thought it was another one of these holiday-home/retiree ghost villages?

bodgy
    Free Member

The old part of the village is more sought after than the more modern housing areas, but there is quite a thriving little community of locals and blow-ins. But yes, there are a lot of holiday lets that sit empty for a chunk of the year. But that’s the same as anywhere pretty and coastal with good beaches.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks bodgy.I like the idea of being a blow-in!Speaking of which what’s the fairer sex like in the village?

bodgy
    Free Member

I’m happily married so never really noticed, but in many rural villages the fairer folk have to be imported. Unless you like ’em agricultural.  ;o)

(Cynically, I would say that living in a place like SF would be quite a bonus if a lady were on the lookout for a friend, especially if they were the sort of gal who liked country walks and cosy fireside pub type things.)

If you’re seriously thinking about living there, you should rent a little place or stay at the hotel and have a little explore for a few days. The Green Dragon has changed hands recently and there was talk of a community buy-out, but I’m not sure what the latest news is. Was always a fab little boozer.

EDIT: The Green Dragon is currently closed, but new tenants have taken on the lease. Let’s hope they don’t ruin it.

bodgy
    Free Member

I’d also be seriously thinking about getting an e-bike. Especially if you don’t drive or own a car.

slugwash
    Free Member

There’s a couple of off, mainly, offroad options between Stoke F and Dartmouth.

Regular buses between Plymouth &Dart mouth.

Edit: arggh, bloody pop ups. Will try on computer later.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Will try and get a map of them.Thabks

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I wonder how long that Post Office can survive in SC.Not long if it’s anything like the north.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Nice place to visit, I wouldn’t want to live there.

I imagine it’s hideously expensive. South Devon traffic is a horror show. Off road riding is limited/very cheeky. Road riding involves previously mentioned horror show traffic. Holidaymakers make the whole thing worse three months of the year.

Many better places to live in Devon for riding bikes.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stoke Fleming’ is closed to new replies.