Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Stob Bàn, can you do it from Kinlochleven to fort william
  • augustuswindsock

We’re going to be up that way in May, thought of doing devils staircase to Kinlochleven then would like to do Stob Bàn into ft william where our chauffeur will (hopefully) waiting. Is it possible? Doesn’t appear to be a path from KL to Stob Bàn summit?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

This depends on you “mountain-fu” and if you are tough enough. Anything is possible. A direct ascent from the track west of KLL will not be easy, pleasant, or rideable.

bforbertie

On mountain bike? Agree with TroutWrestler- Have walked up- is a steep slog up the side of Stob Ban through heather from the WHW. 600-700m vertical of bike carry!! Not sure how rideable most of the descent to Glen Nevis would be either, though haven’t walked it.

augustuswindsock

Cheers TW and for,   That bad eh? I didn’t anticipate it being (entirely) rideable, but is it really that unpleasant?

would it be comparable to say Ben Lomond?

augustuswindsock

The descent to ft William is supposed to be a classic according to MBR? (Although i’ve Fallen foul of their classics before!😉).

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have ridden Pete Scullion’s route from MBR and then sent him a very rude Facebook message about how shit it was. A lumpy walk interspersed with 10 yards of rideable mediocrity every now and then.

augustuswindsock

Cheers guys, change of plan then methinks!

Sanny
    Free Member

It is nowt like Ben Lomond. Much more eroded and to my mind it looks a lot more stop starty. I carried up to the saddle on the main path down and despite the deep trench path, I still fancy doing it. However, if Munrobiker isn’t a fan, I would defer to his experience on this one. How about over the Devil’s, Ciaran Path then do the second part of the Tour De Ben Nevis? A big day but one I would suggest that would be much more rewarding.

Sanny

mrchrist

I pushed my bike up from the glen nevis side (not keen to do that again [or ride down it]) and rode down to KLL (race my mate – was excellent).

If you want to get to Fort Williams from KKL then i cracking route is the West Highland Way. When you reach the final fire rode section through the woods down to glen nevis just straight line it through the down some insanely steep and tech trails (warning not for notices).

Great section did it 2 years ago, would love to do it again.

mrchrist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT449iAV6Fs

Here is a vid of the KLL > WHW > Stob Ban > KLL route.

Sanny
    Free Member

That is a classic video. It inspired me to do the same ride previously. It is a cracker but a tough day out as the climb goes on for quite a long way. You can do the descent from KLL by just heading up it from just past Mamore Lodge.

Binnean Mor. That is where you want to go………..

Spin
    Free Member

Agree with munrobiker.

The descent from the bealach below Stob Ban to Glen Nevis promises much on the map but the path is so deeply gullied and eroded that there isn’t much joy in it.

Spin
    Free Member

Also, the bit of ridge from the summit of Stob Ban down to the bealach to its east isn’t very rideable either despite having a path shown.

If you’re desperate to cross the Mamores in that area going over the summit of Stob Ban and across to Mullach nan Coirean then down its NE ridge is probably better but still not great as it turns into bog along the side of the deer fence at the woods. This path is shown on the 1:25,000 but not 1:50,000 map. The ride from SB to MnC would be very pleasant though and the first part of the ridge down would be fun.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Binnean Mor. That is where you want to go………..

He’s right you know.

Sanny
    Free Member

Of course I am! Ha! Ha!

Sanny
    Free Member

Oh and with Binnean Mor, you can ride all the way up to the loch at well over 1000 feet so it isn’t just a hike a bike slog……

augustuswindsock

Thanks for all the responses guys, we’re doing a week’s trip up there whit week, from what you’ve said I think we’ll do devil’s staircase and Ciaran Path, hoy bikes in van in KLL, and drive to spean bridge. I’ll skip the tour de Ben section Sanny as probably need to spare me legs.  Planning a point to point from glen Afric to  Morvich day 2.

great video btw, I’m inspired.

we folllow this with 2 days in Skye and 2 days in torridon. Can’t wait!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Stob Bàn, can you do it from Kinlochleven to fort william’ is closed to new replies.